Main Menu

Berets?

Started by GreerThorne, December 06, 2016, 12:18:13 AM

PA Guy

Quote from: arajca
Where to start?
The issue for most folks who dislike or hate the beret isn't that only certain folks can get it. It's the general attitude those folks bring back - they're now part of an ELITE unit. They have been disruptive in units as they don't get that they need to share their knowledge, not lord it over everyone else. I've been told that this attitude is not taught at NBB, but that's what comes back.

As for NBB not being about the hat, for a couple years, the beret was removed from the program and it was failing until the beret was brought back. So it is about the hat.

I wish I had said that.  :clap: :clap:

[fixed the quote tags]

Fubar

Quote from: A.Member on December 06, 2016, 09:54:20 PM
Quote from: Fubar on December 06, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
...Just to be clear, berets can only be worn with ABUs BDUs or Blue Field uniform at the activity only. Not that DocJekyll was suggesting otherwise, but there are different rules between BDUs and ABUs when it comes to the funny hat:
Corrected for you and evidenced later in your quote of 39-1.  It cannot be worn with ABUs, even at the activity.  Attention to detail.  ;) :)

CAPM 39-1 does not address the ABU yet, it's all handled by the "CAP Transition to the Airman Battle Uniform" memo from the CAP/CC. The first memo was published 4 May 2016 and included an attachment called "ABU Wear instructions", with updated ABU Wear instructions dated 7 July 2016, and then 24 Oct 2016.

As it stands, CAPM 39-1 goes from chapter 6 to chapter 8, so there's a decent chance the ABU chapter in CAPM 39-1 will eventually be chapter 7.

But you're right, attention to detail is important.

Okayish Aviator

Well, I never stated that the beret could be worn in ABU outside of the activity, only that I see the merits of doing so with it as it is with the other uniforms currently. It does state quite clearly in the ABU wear instructions that the field cap is the ONLY headgear authorized for wear (not withstanding safety concerns due to cold weather of course) aside from during the activity.

Quote from: arajca on December 06, 2016, 07:34:44 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on December 06, 2016, 06:25:45 PM
I know there seems to still be a lot of hate out there for berets, and a lot of people don't like the idea of graduates of the activity being able to wear them when others can't but I think that's kinda the whole point. You wouldn't let someone who hadn't gone through the process to get their GT badge or aviation badge wear one right? I kind of look at it the same way. The hat itself isn't what makes that particular activity special anyways... it's what the activity instills in it's members, and what the crest means deep down that is at the heart of what CAP is as a program. Framing it properly can help build the program. For those of you who have seen our recruiting and retention numbers know we can use all the help we can get in that regard to keep the program alive.
Where to start?
The issue for most folks who dislike or hate the beret isn't that only certain folks can get it. It's the general attitude those folks bring back - they're now part of an ELITE unit. They have been disruptive in units as they don't get that they need to share their knowledge, not lord it over everyone else. I've been told that this attitude is not taught at NBB, but that's what comes back.

As for NBB not being about the hat, for a couple years, the beret was removed from the program and it was failing until the beret was brought back. So it is about the hat.

That is something I've actively fought for those who are new to the activity. Of course to young kids to an extent it's going to be about a hat. That's part of what you have to address at the activity. I also agree with you 100% about the beret's needing to share knowledge obtained at the activity, and try to discourage the negative connotations you've outlined. I would also say that we can get that with just about ANY activity. Ranger rolls and Hawk anyone? Perhaps that points to a larger issue than a hat itself. I'll leave that to others to figure out though. :P
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

arajca

Quote from: DocJekyll on December 07, 2016, 09:09:59 PM
That is something I've actively fought for those who are new to the activity. Of course to young kids to an extent it's going to be about a hat. That's part of what you have to address at the activity. I also agree with you 100% about the beret's needing to share knowledge obtained at the activity, and try to discourage the negative connotations you've outlined. I would also say that we can get that with just about ANY activity. Ranger rolls and Hawk anyone? Perhaps that points to a larger issue than a hat itself. I'll leave that to others to figure out though. :P
You'll find many of us have the same issues with Hawk Mountain and have no problem mentioning it when asked or provoked.

Holding Pattern

GreerThorne, please note that you can alter the size of almost every web page online by holding down the control key and pressing the PLUS key at the same time. This also works on the eServices online testing. Hopefully this tip helps you out.