Main Menu

Skill Badges

Started by sandman, May 08, 2023, 12:02:20 AM

sandman

Hi all! So, USAF/USSF came out with a great update to AFI 36-2903 (31 March 2023) allowing up to four (4) occupational/qualification/skill badges centered/stacked above the USAF/USSF tape (left chest side of course).
Thought I'd throw that out there. Hopefully, the CAP leadership follows suit.
It'd be kinda' neat to be able to wear several earned skill badges say...GT, pilot, EMT, and incident commander all at the same time.
Thoughts?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

GroundHawg

They are finally moving with the cheese! Hopefully CAP can follow suit in both the wear of the OCP and the multiple skill badge stacking within the decade

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 08, 2023, 01:18:50 PMThey are finally moving with the cheese! Hopefully CAP can follow suit in both the wear of the OCP and the multiple skill badge stacking within the decade

Only 6.5 more years!

Shuman 14

I just wish they'd show a picture/diagram of how they expect four non-subdued skill badges to be worn on the Service Uniform.

It spells out where a missile badge and the Excellence in Competition Badges are (must) to be worn, and it tells you which badge has seniority of placement in the wear, but it doesn't explain the how and where.

So, if an Airman has two Occupational Badges (current Occupation has seniority) and two skill badges (say Airborne and Air Assault), what is the USAF's preferred arraignment to wear the four badges on the uniform?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

sandman

New policy only applies to the OCP uniform at this time. I doubt if big blue will allow the four badges on the current blues unless they adopt some sort of legacy dress uniform later on down the line...but who knows?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

PHall

You can wear four badges on the Service Dress jacket right now. It's right there in the 39-1.
You can NOT wear four badges on the Service Uniform (Class B) light blue shirt though.
And that's in both CAP and the USAF.

Shuman 14

So let me see if I have this right, from Top to Bottom Chaplain, Aeronautical, Occupational/Skill badges is the order of precedence.

Then the four positions for badges on the uniform are two above ribbons/pocket, one below the pocket (or on left pocket if wearing the shirt), and one on right breast in line with the below pocket position (or on right pocket if wearing the shirt)?

With exceptions that Missile Badges must go on the below pocket (or shirt left pocket) position even if that's the only badge you have and the Excellence in Competiton shooting badges go on the pocket flap itself?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sandman

Quote from: PHall on May 09, 2023, 05:02:15 PMYou can wear four badges on the Service Dress jacket right now. It's right there in the 39-1.
You can NOT wear four badges on the Service Uniform (Class B) light blue shirt though.
And that's in both CAP and the USAF.
Right, I meant the stacking of badges above the ribbons on the left chest...like the Army.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

Quote from: Shuman 14 on May 09, 2023, 05:27:26 PMSo let me see if I have this right, from Top to Bottom Chaplain, Aeronautical, Occupational/Skill badges is the order of precedence.

Then the four positions for badges on the uniform are two above ribbons/pocket, one below the pocket (or on left pocket if wearing the shirt), and one on right breast in line with the below pocket position (or on right pocket if wearing the shirt)?

With exceptions that Missile Badges must go on the below pocket (or shirt left pocket) position even if that's the only badge you have and the Excellence in Competiton shooting badges go on the pocket flap itself?
I wear my Army driver's badge on the pocket flap for my AF and CAP uniform
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

sandman

Quote from: Shuman 14 on May 08, 2023, 04:13:38 PMI just wish they'd show a picture/diagram of how they expect four non-subdued skill badges to be worn on the Service Uniform.

It spells out where a missile badge and the Excellence in Competition Badges are (must) to be worn, and it tells you which badge has seniority of placement in the wear, but it doesn't explain the how and where.

So, if an Airman has two Occupational Badges (current Occupation has seniority) and two skill badges (say Airborne and Air Assault), what is the USAF's preferred arraignment to wear the four badges on the uniform?
Lt Col Speer is pretty cool...
Lt. Col. Coy Speer
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Shuman 14

Lt. Col. Speer's picture helps but it also adds issues.

If we assume he is correctly wearing everything, then he is wearing SIX badges when four badges are the maximum.

Let's set aside the Excellence in Competition Badges (EICB) for a moment.

I would submit to you, following the somewhat vague and imprecise language of the regulation, the way that he has his four aeronautical and skill badges arranged is correct. (Though I think his USAF Diver's Badge should be lower and online with his Freefall Wings.)   

As to his EICBs, they are also placed correctly and it is possible for a Servicemember to be awarded both a Rifle and a Pistol EICB and they would be worn side-by-side on the pocket welt.

I think the real issue here is, when dealing with EICBs, are they the exception to the four badge rule? Meaning, that if you have them, you can wear five or six badges at one time. Like the Command Badge, they don't count against the four badge total.

That, or Lt. Col. Speers needs to remove two badges of his choosing to come back within the letter of the regulation.

FYI, I also concur with Sandman, if the Army Driver and Mechanic's Badge (and Army and Marine Corps Weapons Qualification badges) is worn, it should be worn on tunic/jacket pocket welt or shirt pocket flap. It should also count against the four badge total.

Joseph J. Clune