Main Menu

Family appearances

Started by AGreder, May 03, 2023, 02:14:17 PM

AGreder

Hey everyone. My son just joined CAP and there is a really important banquet coming up that he is attending that they encourage family to come to. I'm just curious since it's a super formal event about family appearances. I have pink hair and neck tattoos. The tattoos aren't vulgar and I'm not really worried about them as I am showing up with pink hair. However, I'm just family and not really about to dye my hair just for this event.

Is this a really big issue? Do I need to go buy a wig and use tattoo cover up? lol

HandsomeWalt_USMC

No. Gosh no. I'm sure your son is probably freaking out a bit, but there is absolutely no need for you to cover your ink or hair. You're not a member and not subject to regs. He needs to chill.

Now, if it were me, I would dress on the more conservative side as a concession to his feelings. I can remember very well being embarrassed by my dad refusing to dress up for our events when I was a cadet. Young men and women need to feel like we take seriously what they take seriously. I certainly wouldn't go layering on tattoo covering makeup or wearing a wig though.

Hope this helps!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Shuman 14

Mr. Greder,

Just look at it like this, if you were invited to a wedding, say for someone you work with, not a close friend or family member who knows you well, but someone you are professionally connected to but friendly with, what would you wear?

If you'd wear a sport coat and tie to that wedding but your hair would be unchanged and what tattoos could be seen, would be seen, then that's about what you should wear to a CAP banquet.

This is America, your right to free expression isn't changed by your son being in CAP.

Also, no one will judge your son because of you. He will rise (or fall) in CAP on his own merits. If you think about it, it's part of what we are trying to teach Cadets in the program in the first place. 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Quote from: Shuman 14 on May 03, 2023, 08:03:02 PMMr. Greder,

Just look at it like this, if you were invited to a wedding, say for someone you work with, not a close friend or family member who knows you well, but someone you are professionally connected to but friendly with, what would you wear?

If you'd wear a sport coat and tie to that wedding but your hair would be unchanged and what tattoos could be seen, would be seen, then that's about what you should wear to a CAP banquet.

This is America, your right to free expression isn't changed by your son being in CAP.

Also, no one will judge your son because of you. He will rise (or fall) in CAP on his own merits. If you think about it, it's part of what we are trying to teach Cadets in the program in the first place. 
Just curious... why do you think the author is "Mr."?

jeders

Quote from: AGreder on May 03, 2023, 02:14:17 PMIs this a really big issue? Do I need to go buy a wig and use tattoo cover up? lol

Absolutely not. CAP's appearance guidelines are for CAP members, not their non-member families. Go, celebrate your child and enjoy the evening.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AGreder

Thank you so much everyone!

I just wanted to note he is absolutely not embarrassed by my looks. lol It was just something I was concerned about. My mom told me to chill as well, though. Also, I will most definitely be in nice clothes. Despite the hair and tats I'm not one to show up in jeans. 🤣

Shuman 14

Quote from: 754837 on May 03, 2023, 09:45:34 PMJust curious... why do you think the author is "Mr."?

That's a very good point, I don't know. I guess my spider sense was tingling.

No offense was intended, sorry if I mis-gendered you AGreder.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present