Main Menu

SARTopo

Started by CraigGoodrich, April 06, 2023, 02:41:55 PM

CraigGoodrich

Are there any wings or units out there using SARTopo?
https://sartopo.com/

etodd

Don't see the need. Our customers (FEMA, etc.) usually specify the gear and software required.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Jester

I just use the free version.  I mostly use it for making paper maps for training but I'm working it into ICP use as well.

Senty7

If you work SAR missions with local agencies, there's a good chance you're going to run into SARTopo at some point.  It's gaining cred and popularity throughout US SAR and with good reason...it's incredibly capable.  Our unit purchased 150 licenses for our 95 members, leaving a large set of spares we can issue to mutual-aid partners for a single SAR event (then they revert back to us). Scan a QR code in Base, and you're in.  We discovered SARTopo somewhat late in 2019, but use it now on every mission.  Most of our neighboring agencies do as well.  We ensure an observer on every air sortie has it running. 

The app is "Caltopo" and it's a free download.  It'd be a good idea to play with it a bit in advance of a real mission, specifically to learn how to share your location, record your track, STOP recording your track (an annoyance when you drive home with it still on), and to save markers.

etodd

Quote from: Senty7 on April 08, 2023, 06:09:46 PMThe app is "Caltopo" and it's a free download.  It'd be a good idea to play with it a bit in advance of a real mission, specifically to learn how to share your location, record your track, STOP recording your track (an annoyance when you drive home with it still on), and to save markers.

Has National approved this app in terms of OpSec?  One of the reasons they don't let us use DJI drone apps is due to our locations being sent through the system. If Caltopo allows location sharing, seems we need National sign off on this if used for actual missions(?)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Lt Seidell

@Senty7 That's awesome! Certainly the most licenses I've heard of yet inside CAP. NYWG pointed SARTopo out to me, having 20 licenses for themselves. I've used it on every sUAS exercise since, laying markers down for hidden targets, or printing maps, checking land use, generating Recon Maps to text around for access to areas. It's fantastic.

I agree that market penetration is high and almost every SAR worker I talk to uses SARTopo. NASAR recognizes it as a standard and recently released free classes on their SAR Academy website for it. A quick google search for "Civil Air Patrol SARTopo" shows that HIWG had formal Wing-led training recently, and AKWG uses SARTopo as part of their standard emergency response brief.

I use the free First Responder Upgrade, which CAP members are all entitled too. I haven't pushed formal purchase of license up the chain yet, but can you comment on what 150 licenses look like in terms of packaging/cost? Maybe send that in a DM?
Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU