Miniature Aviation Wings

Started by Jaybird180, March 20, 2023, 05:34:48 PM

Jaybird180

Can someone please explain to me the wearing of miniature Aviation badges on the Service-A uniform?

4.1.5. Men's Service Dress Uniform (Class A) New Style (Figure 4.6).

4.1.5.2.2.4.1. Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space, Cyberspace) and Occupational Badges (CAP and USAF). No more than a combined two aviation and occupational badges will be worn on the wearer's left. Badges will be shiny, metallic and must match in material. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory. Not more than a combined total of two of these badges will be worn on the wearer's left. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn below any CAP aviation badges. If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the highest position. Parachutist wings are optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain, aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All occupational badges worn will be the same size: miniature, mid-sized or regular. Aviation badges may be a different size than any occupational badge; however, multiple aviation badges will be the same size. The first badge will be worn on the wearer's left side centered 1⁄2 inch above the highest row of ribbons (or top of pocket if no ribbons are authorized). The second badge will be centered 1⁄2 inch above the first badge.

PHall

You can do it, but it does not follow the normal customs followed by the Air Force and CAP.
Be prepared to answer a lot of questions if you do wear miniature wings on your Service Dress (Class A) jacket.

The normal custom is regular size wings on the Service Dress (Class A) uniform and the miniature wings on the Service (Class B) uniform shirts, both long and short sleeve.

SARDOC

As PHALL said, You can do it.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Miniatures are traditionally reserved for Mess Dress or on shirts.  That's kind of the Air Force culture thing.  That being said Full Size or Miniature are authorized on all of it, but you should remain consistent in that if one is miniature they should all be miniature. 

Toad1168

Quote from: Jaybird180 on March 20, 2023, 05:34:48 PMCan someone please explain to me the wearing of miniature Aviation badges on the Service-A uniform?

4.1.5. Men's Service Dress Uniform (Class A) New Style (Figure 4.6).

4.1.5.2.2.4.1. Aviation (CAP, USAF or other service Aeronautical, Space, Cyberspace) and Occupational Badges (CAP and USAF). No more than a combined two aviation and occupational badges will be worn on the wearer's left. Badges will be shiny, metallic and must match in material. Chaplain and CAP aviation badges are mandatory. Not more than a combined total of two of these badges will be worn on the wearer's left. When more than one CAP aviation badge is authorized, only one will be worn. If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn below any CAP aviation badges. If chaplain badge is worn, it is worn in the highest position. Parachutist wings are optional; however, when worn will be placed above an occupational badge or below a chaplain, aeronautical, space or cyberspace badge. Occupational badges (excluding chaplain) are optional. All occupational badges worn will be the same size: miniature, mid-sized or regular. Aviation badges may be a different size than any occupational badge; however, multiple aviation badges will be the same size. The first badge will be worn on the wearer's left side centered 1⁄2 inch above the highest row of ribbons (or top of pocket if no ribbons are authorized). The second badge will be centered 1⁄2 inch above the first badge.

Makes your chest look bigger for those members going for the "swoll" look.   ;D

JK, don't do it.
Toad

Shuman 14

Quote from: Toad1168 on April 10, 2023, 07:18:40 PMMakes your chest look bigger for those members going for the "swoll" look.   ;D

JK, don't do it.

See, I was thinking the exact opposite. There are those of extremely small stature, and they are not all just cadets.

So, I can see a 4'9" Senior Member that a full-sized set of wings looks jumbo sized on their chest and a mini-badge just looks better on that person.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Ribbons are only offered in one size. I don't see how full size wings would make much of a difference there, especially since ribbons are mandatory on service dress.

As a battlegnome(tm) myself, I can appreciate being less encumbered by a gigantic stack of ribbons and badges. However, I think that wearing miniature wings or badges with ribbons looks silly. I wear miniature wings on my shirt under my service coat along with the nametag and shoulder marks in order to be in regs if I decide to remove my coat. Otherwise, I wear full size wings along with ribbons.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Jaybird180

Thanks all. I wear it about a handful times a year (or less). My personal reason for buying miniature is irrelevant; and I understand that the regs say I can, but I've since decided to upsize.

I appreciate the feedback.