Technician Level as Health Service Officer

Started by veltr001, March 03, 2023, 06:47:58 PM

veltr001

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how I get my technician rating as HSO. I'm the HSO for my squadron.  I have my PhD in Immunology and was a ENT surgical 1st assist in the USAF.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

wacapgh

I can't find a specialty track for HSO, or a corresponding badge (like Comm, Personnel, Safety, etc.).

There are insignia for EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and Paramedic but they are linked to your professional qualifications.

CAPR 160-1(I) "Operation of the CAP Health Service Program" is the reg. It refers to 35-5:

5.3.3. Health Service Personnel.
  Upon successful completion of Level I and Part 1 of Level II, unit commanders may initiate a CAPF 2 on health service personnel recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below. The member's qualifications will be evaluated by the wing health service program officer, who will provide his or her comments and recommendations to the wing commander prior to approval. (Specific qualifications for medical personnel are outlined in CAPR 160-1.)

PHall

An HSO Specialty Track was promised a couple of years ago but nothing has come of it so far.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on March 04, 2023, 05:02:21 AMAn HSO Specialty Track was promised a couple of years ago but nothing has come of it so far.

Is there a demonstrable need? How many recorded medical events were not properly taking care of by a trip to a Doc in the box, or call parents/spouse, or 911?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

LSThiker

Quote from: veltr001 on March 03, 2023, 06:47:58 PMHi,

I'm trying to find out how I get my technician rating as HSO. I'm the HSO for my squadron.  I have my PhD in Immunology and was a ENT surgical 1st assist in the USAF.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

As PHall stated, a Speciality pamphlet is/was in the works. It has been in the works in various iterations since at least 1999, when I joined. There will probably be someone come on here and explain it is real close to approval, which has been the message for the last 5-6 years. I have not believed that same message since 1999. I guess at some point in the future I will be wrong and it will be finally published.

The bottomline:  there is no consistency currently on how a level is awarded. Some wings go by time, some by qualifications and time, others by the level (squadron, group, wing, etc) worked. So, talk with your commander and the wing or group HSO to see how it is done in your area. Do not be surprised if you ask 10 people and get 15 different stories or explanations.

There is also a Facebook Health Services Group page, but it has not been to active lately.

PS:  I hated immunology in my both of my graduate degrees 😋