State Call Sign Numbers

Started by Pinecone, February 21, 2023, 01:47:52 PM

Pinecone

Is there a list of the numbers for each state used for aircraft call signs?

Such as MD is 18, so all our aircraft call signs are CAP18xx.

radioguy

There used to be a list of state aircraft designators on the eServices site, but I can't find it at the moment.  However, I was able to find a list of the state charter numbers on the interwebs.  The first two digits of the state charter number are the first two digits of the aircraft designators.  Here is the site URL - scroll down to the State Charter list...

https://www.scribd.com/document/27901201/CAP-Charter-Numbers-History

This article also explores how the charter numbers have evolved since 1941... interesting.

Pinecone

Thanks

I had heard it was alphabetical by state, but that did not work.  Alaska and Hawaii at the end threw me off.

SarDragon

Quote from: Pinecone on March 02, 2023, 07:03:51 PMThanks

I had heard it was alphabetical by state, but that did not work.  Alaska and Hawaii at the end threw me off.

The original list was generated prior to AK and HI statehood, hence their inclusion at the end of the list. I'm not sure why PR wing ended up at the end, since it's in the original list. The change in designations took place around 1955.

The original scheme of IDing wings was based on Army Corps areas. This is reflected in numbers appearing on some of the wing patches - IL 61, LA 16, NJ 22, OH 51, PA 31, RI 16. The first digit is the area, and the second digit is the wing within the area. At least one of the wing patches has been updated to remove the number (OH). My patch images are least a couple of years old.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret