Main Menu

Wing patches

Started by SAREXinNY, January 25, 2023, 03:16:56 AM

SAREXinNY

I had a cadet tell me that a new update to 39-1 made Wing shoulder patches mandatory. Having been around for more than 2 months I knew to check for myself. They appear to still be optional, unless the Wing CC requires them. Does anyone know where that may be a list of which Wings require them, by chance? It's more curiosity than anything...

arajca

I haven't seen such a list, but you can check the Approved Supplements and OIs for more information.

PHall

And then you get cases like California Wing that when the ABU's came out the Wing Commander at the time said that wear of the wing patch was optional and that he preferred that it not be worn on the BDU, i.e. following how the Air Force wore the ABU. This was in a letter that went out to the wing when the ABU was authorized.
It's not in the Wing Supplement to CAPR 39-1 because California Wing does not have a Wing Supplement to CAPR 39-1 and hasn't had one for a few years now.

Shuman 14

I suspect, once the OCP Uniform is authorized for CAP wear, a Higher Command Patch will be required on the Left Sleeve Pocket. For most of the CAP membership, that Higher Command Patch will be the Wing patch.

This will mirror USAF/USSF policy/practice of Higher Command Patch on the Left Sleeve Pocket and Unit Patch under the reversed US Flag on the Right Sleeve Pocket.

Too be expected our patches will be full color to provide easy identification of CAP member vs USAF/USSF member.

Thank goodness Vanguard already carries all of our Wing Patches with Velcro attached.  ;) 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Stonewall

OHWG has a "wing patch optional" policy.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 25, 2023, 04:13:20 PMI suspect, once the OCP Uniform is authorized for CAP wear, a Higher Command Patch will be required on the Left Sleeve Pocket. For most of the CAP membership, that Higher Command Patch will be the Wing patch.

This will mirror USAF/USSF policy/practice of Higher Command Patch on the Left Sleeve Pocket and Unit Patch under the reversed US Flag on the Right Sleeve Pocket.

Too be expected our patches will be full color to provide easy identification of CAP member vs USAF/USSF member.

Thank goodness Vanguard already carries all of our Wing Patches with Velcro attached.  ;) 

No, if CAP is to mirror USAF practice then the patch on the left sleeve will be the CAP "MAJCOM" patch as is worn on the right side of the flight suit. The "Higher Command" patch worn by the USAF on the OCP is the patch of the MAJCOM their unit is assigned to. In the Air Force the only personnel who wear a wing patch are the personnel who are actually assigned to the Wing Headquarters itself and that is on the right side. They still wear their MAJCOM patch on the left side.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on January 26, 2023, 06:02:49 AMNo, if CAP is to mirror USAF practice then the patch on the left sleeve will be the CAP "MAJCOM" patch as is worn on the right side of the flight suit. The "Higher Command" patch worn by the USAF on the OCP is the patch of the MAJCOM their unit is assigned to. In the Air Force the only personnel who wear a wing patch are the personnel who are actually assigned to the Wing Headquarters itself and that is on the right side. They still wear their MAJCOM patch on the left side.

Okay, you're likely correct, I'm not sure, so I'll go with your institutional knowledge. So, would we all (or almost all of us) wear the CAP Command Patch on the Left Sleeve Pocket? 

I assume, based on what you said, all of us would have the CAP Command patch on the left sleeve and a Region, Wing, Group or Squadron patch (based on assignment) on the right sleeve.

So, when I said "almost all of us", would the personnel assigned to CAP National Headquarters wear the CAP Command Patch (as both MAJCOM and Unit patch) on both Sleeve Pockets or would they be the select few to wear the Air Combat Command patch as their MAJCOM patch and the CAP Command as their Unit Patch?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 26, 2023, 06:34:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 26, 2023, 06:02:49 AMNo, if CAP is to mirror USAF practice then the patch on the left sleeve will be the CAP "MAJCOM" patch as is worn on the right side of the flight suit. The "Higher Command" patch worn by the USAF on the OCP is the patch of the MAJCOM their unit is assigned to. In the Air Force the only personnel who wear a wing patch are the personnel who are actually assigned to the Wing Headquarters itself and that is on the right side. They still wear their MAJCOM patch on the left side.

Okay, you're likely correct, I'm not sure, so I'll go with your institutional knowledge. So, would we all (or almost all of us) wear the CAP Command Patch on the Left Sleeve Pocket?

I assume, based on what you said, all of us would have the CAP Command patch on the left sleeve and a Region, Wing, Group or Squadron patch (based on assignment) on the right sleeve.

So, when I said "almost all of us", would the personnel assigned to CAP National Headquarters wear the CAP Command Patch (as both MAJCOM and Unit patch) on both Sleeve Pockets or would they be the select few to wear the Air Combat Command patch as their MAJCOM patch and the CAP Command as their Unit Patch?

The only ones to wear the ACC patch would be Air Force personnel assigned to CAP-USAF and the Reserve Assistance Program folks.

TheSkyHornet

Will this really matter...? When CAP launches a regulation authorizing OCPs, I'm sure they'll be quite clear as to which sides the respective patches (as applicable) will go on.

This under the assumption that members will even wear more than one patch.

The Air Force never wore patches on their BDU shoulders. Still, CAP elected to place the Wing Patch there for whatever reason (maybe because Snoopy and his training patches were reserved for the chest/breast areas).

We basically retained this when we incorporated ABUs, and it was a chance for a lot of people to say "Finally, we can get rid of all of these patches."

Personally, I'm a little more fearful of wearing some bright, gaudy patch on OCPs than a subdued patch. But this does go to asking: "Why are we still in camouflage?"

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 26, 2023, 08:04:32 PMPersonally, I'm a little more fearful of wearing some bright, gaudy patch on OCPs than a subdued patch. But this does go to asking: "Why are we still in camouflage?"

It's like asking why is the Navy wearing camouflage while on a ship?

Shuman 14

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 26, 2023, 08:04:32 PMPersonally, I'm a little more fearful of wearing some bright, gaudy patch on OCPs than a subdued patch. But this does go to asking: "Why are we still in camouflage?"

Because OCPs are the USAF/USSF Field/Working Uniform, and they will eventually want us in it, for uniformity purposes, if nothing else.

Eventually someone at Ma Blue, high up in the pecking order, will see CAP at some function in which we were invited, and complain that we are still in the obsolete ABUs making the Air Force look bad by wearing it and then we will have OCPs.

...BUT...

Seeing as the supply chains are having issues getting enough USAF/USSF Service Uniforms for those graduating Basic and the Army, USAF and USSF are all priority for OCPs, that might be awhile.

Joseph J. Clune

SierraOneThree

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 27, 2023, 10:11:44 PMSeeing as the supply chains are having issues getting enough USAF/USSF Service Uniforms for those graduating Basic and the Army, USAF and USSF are all priority for OCPs, that might be awhile.

I'm almost 95% sure they aren't having issues with availability, especially considering the recruiting crisis they're having. OCPs were authorized years ago now, the production has caught up and I haven't seen any problems in the MCSS for a long time.

PHall

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 27, 2023, 10:11:44 PMSeeing as the supply chains are having issues getting enough USAF/USSF Service Uniforms for those graduating Basic and the Army, USAF and USSF are all priority for OCPs, that might be awhile.

Haven't been in a MCSS for awhile, have you? The Service Dress uniform shortages are pretty much over. Haven't seen any empty shelves in awhile. And the OCP "shortage" was over a couple of years ago...

Fubar

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 27, 2023, 10:11:44 PMBecause OCPs are the USAF/USSF Field/Working Uniform, and they will eventually want us in it, for uniformity purposes, if nothing else.

I dunno who they are, but if you mean somebody in the Air Force, well I hate to burst your bubble but they don't give two poops about what people in CAP are wearing, as long as it's not flight suits with brown leather jackets. Then the zipper-suited sun gods get a bit uppity. In fact "they" at the Air Force only get upset when they think CAP looks too much like them (e.g. barry boards and the CSU). Nobody in Big Blue is worried about uniformity with the one auxiliary that likes cosplay (the other auxiliary the Air Force has doesn't bother with such things).

If CAP was part of the Air Force and the Air Force cared about CAP's uniforms, CAP would receive direction to change uniforms when the Air Force does. Instead, CAP has to write a memo begging to change uniforms that has to go through several layers of bureaucracy before finally landing on the desk of CSAF who tends to prioritize a number of other issues over CAP uniforms.

So it's very doubtful any changes to our uniforms will come at the direction of the Air Force.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2023, 05:39:24 PMHaven't been in a MCSS for awhile, have you? The Service Dress uniform shortages are pretty much over. Haven't seen any empty shelves in awhile. And the OCP "shortage" was over a couple of years ago...

Last time I was in an Air Force AAFES was last summer and there was still a shortage of Service Uniforms when I was there. This was the only shortage I was referring to, sorry if that wasn't clear.

The only shortages in OCPs I've seen in OCPs has been in very small sizes (many of our Cadets would fit this category) and in really big sizes.
Joseph J. Clune

Stonewall

For an assessment from the field, I am unaware of any OCP shortage. Personally, I have about 12 pair of OCPs. When I went to buy a pair of the summer weights last year at an Army post in Virginia, the shelves were fully stocked. And every time I go to WPAFB, their shelves are fully stocked.

In fact, when I take donations a of ABUs at my base, we began getting OCP uniforms and other items (boots, fleece, etc.) I actually got 3 brand new sets with tags in small/short. So if/when we go to OCPs, there are three cadets who will get brand new sets.
Serving since 1987.

Jester

I was told by the CAP/CCC that CAP had just given Vanguard the go-ahead to print more ABU fabric.  To me this is the indication that ABU supply is pretty much a drip at this point and it's time to move on. 

We should take this as a lesson learned.  We waited too long for stupid reasons to transfer to ABU and now we need to shift to OCP. 

heliodoc

Lessons learned?

Maybe a 39-1 AAR?

New 70-3 replacing 60-3

Bullet trains and diesel burnin city busses have left the station

wacapgh

Quote from: Jester on February 20, 2023, 06:21:06 PMI was told by the CAP/CCC that CAP had just given Vanguard the go-ahead to print more ABU fabric.

I would interpret that statement as that CAP will need to have the ABU in production for the foreseeable future. If a change to OCP was soon, we would not authorize paying for a whole run of fabric.

NIN

Quote from: wacapgh on February 20, 2023, 10:31:50 PM
Quote from: Jester on February 20, 2023, 06:21:06 PMI was told by the CAP/CCC that CAP had just given Vanguard the go-ahead to print more ABU fabric.

I would interpret that statement as that CAP will need to have the ABU in production for the foreseeable future. If a change to OCP was soon, we would not authorize paying for a whole run of fabric.

Even printing more fabric, the phase in period for OCP will be 5 years at a minimum.  That fabric will not go to waste.

There will be purists out there who will tell you that you can have their ABUs when you cut them from their cold, dead body.  Mind you, they've been in CAP 5 years and will tell you all about how it was "back in the day".

Same words were spoken in 1991, and in 2016.

As a guy I known said "Things change. Deal."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.