Main Menu

EZ Rack Builder

Started by fish7days, December 06, 2022, 09:49:38 PM

fish7days

Maybe a very obvious question, but I want to make sure nevertheless:

When using the EZ Rack builder for ribbons, I am assuming ribbons are automatically sorted and placed on the racks by the software. The question I have is this: Once all ribbons have been added to the software and an image is created, do I simply add ribbons per the image and stick the racks on my shirt without worrying which side of the image should face left and which side right? Whatever is left side of the image is left side of my shirt when the shirt lays flat with the buttons facing up?
1st Lt - CAP
Transportation Mission Pilot - CSEL / Instrument
South African Infantry Instructor 1983 - 1985
South African Infantry Pro Patria Combat Medal Recipient

SarDragon

The image is what you will see with the ribbons on the shirt. You just need to make sure the rack is right side up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

fish7days -

Question, do you have any awards or decorations from your time in the South African Forces? I'm just being nosey. The only South African I ever met was a young lady who was an exchange student in High School way back in 1988-89 and haven't talked to her since.

Also, never served with any South Africans in the many Joint and/or International Missions over my many years of Service so I'm professionally curious.   
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

fish7days

I do have a "Pro Patria" medal. We were given these for being in combat on the Angola/Namibia border, protecting Namibia (then South West Africa) from insurgents from Angola, killing locals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Patria_Medal_(South_Africa)
1st Lt - CAP

fish7days

I saw the pinned post above and saw that the most important ribbon always faces the wearer's right side. Because we wear ribbons on the left side, an easy way to think about this is to arrange the ribbons exactly as in the rack builder image, lay your shirt flat with button side facing up, and simply pin the rack to match the image above the left pocket. Whatever is left on the image, is left on the shirt. No need to flip anything around. This way your most important ribbon will face your right.
1st Lt - CAP

GroundHawg

A CAP rack with a SADF Pro Patria mixed in for good measure. Def a one of a kind!

Shuman 14

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 09, 2022, 05:28:37 PMA CAP rack with a SADF Pro Patria mixed in for good measure. Def a one of a kind!

I make the assumption, too, that he would be authorized to wear it. As a foreign decoration it would go after all CAP awards. Indeed, one of a kind.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: Shuman 14 on December 09, 2022, 07:52:44 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on December 09, 2022, 05:28:37 PMA CAP rack with a SADF Pro Patria mixed in for good measure. Def a one of a kind!

I make the assumption, too, that he would be authorized to wear it. As a foreign decoration it would go after all CAP awards. Indeed, one of a kind.

After you get approval from CAP/DP.  Per CAPR 39-1, 3 March 2020, Para 11.2.6

GroundHawg

Quote from: PHall on December 09, 2022, 11:02:26 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on December 09, 2022, 07:52:44 PM

After you get approval from CAP/DP.  Per CAPR 39-1, 3 March 2020, Para 11.2.6

Never really gave this much thought until just now, but do those of us that have foreign awards and decs that are listed on our DD214 or NGB22 still have to submit for CAP/DP approval?
I guess by letter of the law, I should?

Shuman 14

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 12, 2022, 01:59:12 PMNever really gave this much thought until just now, but do those of us that have foreign awards and decs that are listed on our DD214 or NGB22 still have to submit for CAP/DP approval?

I would think so and using the DD-214 and/or NGB-22 would your supporting documentation, besides the Foreign Certificate itself.
Joseph J. Clune

Stonewall

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 12, 2022, 01:59:12 PMNever really gave this much thought until just now, but do those of us that have foreign awards and decs that are listed on our DD214 or NGB22 still have to submit for CAP/DP approval?

I don't wear military ribbons on my CAP uniforms, but if I did, I don't think I'd feel compelled to ask permission from NHQ to wear what I've been formally awarded.

However, if for some reason someone had a question on my military awards, I'd be willing to provide official proof.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on January 19, 2023, 09:11:25 PM

I don't wear military ribbons on my CAP uniforms, but if I did, I don't think I'd feel compelled to ask permission from NHQ to wear what I've been formally awarded.

However, I'd for some reason someone had a question on my military awards, I'd be willing to provide official proof.

You probably don't wear your military and CAP ribbons together for the same reason I don't, I would look like a Russian General!   I have 21 "Federal" military ribbons that I can wear plus 4 "State" ribbons that I can't wear on a CAP uniform plus 17 CAP ribbons. I'm only 5'7", I don't have enough real estate to wear 38 ribbons plus wings.

DakRadz

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2023, 09:51:05 PMYou probably don't wear your military and CAP ribbons together for the same reason I don't, I would look like a Russian General!  I have 21 "Federal" military ribbons that I can wear plus 4 "State" ribbons that I can't wear on a CAP uniform plus 17 CAP ribbons. I'm only 5'7", I don't have enough real estate to wear 38 ribbons plus wings.

All due respect, sir, as a former JROTC/CAP cadet, that's quitter talk.
;D

Going SM, being unable to enlist due to hearing loss, and losing all those cadet-only ribbons (and medals. So many JROTC medals) cured me of my cadet affliction, however. LOL

NIN

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2023, 09:51:05 PMI'm only 5'7", I don't have enough real estate to wear 38 ribbons plus wings.

I have met Phil in person: can confirm he is easily Ewok sized. He would look redonkulous with 38 ribbons. Even with 4 across. Or maybe even MORE redonkulous 4 across.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Shuman 14 on December 12, 2022, 08:36:41 PM

I would think so and using the DD-214 and/or NGB-22 would your supporting documentation, besides the Foreign Certificate itself.

In the next to the last decade of the last century, many of the seniors who were my leaders wore at least oen "foreign decoration" at the bottom of their ribbon racks pretty universally.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on January 21, 2023, 07:42:07 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2023, 09:51:05 PMI'm only 5'7", I don't have enough real estate to wear 38 ribbons plus wings.

I have met Phil in person: can confirm he is easily Ewok sized. He would look redonkulous with 38 ribbons. Even with 4 across. Or maybe even MORE redonkulous 4 across.

Maybe we need a ribbon that says "Continued on reverse."     ;)

PHall

Quote from: NIN on January 21, 2023, 07:54:12 PM

In the next to the last decade of the last century, many of the seniors who were my leaders wore at least oen "foreign decoration" at the bottom of their ribbon racks pretty universally.

These days you usually see the Kuwait Liberation Medals.

James Shaw

I played with some graphics after updating my CAP ribbon rack between CAP (27), AD Navy, Res Navy, Georgia ANG, SDF, and CGA, it was a bit much even for a graphic just to see what it looked like.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on January 21, 2023, 07:54:12 PM

Don't forget this one, almost equally abundant:

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

I think you mean the Unit Citation, not the Individual medal itself.

Gallantry Cross RVN

QuoteUnit award
The Unit Citation Emblem of the colors of the Gallantry Cross is awarded to personnel in the South Vietnamese military and Allied military units that have been cited and presented a decoration which is prescribed to be awarded on a collective basis.

Known as the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm (Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm and Frame Unit Citation), the Unit Citation Emblem in the colors of the Gallantry Cross with Palm, was created on January 20, 1968 and was issued with the Gallantry Cross ribbon bar with a 5⁄32 by 9⁄16 inch bronze palm and a gold frame. The former South Vietnamese military awarded the Gallantry Cross to specific military units that distinguished themselves to the same level as would be required for the individual award. Regulations for the issuance of the Vietnam Gallantry Cross permit the wearing of both the individual and unit award simultaneously since both are considered separate awards. The Gallantry Cross was awarded to every Allied nation which provided support to South Vietnam. The Gallantry Cross became the most commonly awarded Vietnamese decoration to foreigners, second only to the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
Joseph J. Clune