Member owned aircraft question?

Started by dmkagey, October 28, 2022, 11:15:53 PM

dmkagey

Wonder if I can get some advice.  Prefer flying my own aircraft...C172..for Form 5 and Proficiency flights.  Not looking for reimbursement, just prefer flying my own aircraft when I can.
From what I understand of the rules, corporate aircraft must be flown on AF funded missions...which makes complete sense.  What's the best way to do this?  Any special forms required?  I tried to get Wing approval to fly my plane during a practice SAR but was told no.  Again, not asking for reimbursement.
Long term member...back in the 80's.  I have some 230 CAP mission hours flown, 95% in my then C182.  In those days there were few CAP aircraft and your own bird was welcomed.  Now seems not the case.
Anyone have any solutions?
Thanks

SarDragon

I think it has something to do with aircraft equipment. Most member-owned aircraft are not mission ready, lacking a VHF-FM radio that operated on CAP frequencies and a DF unit (L-per or Becker), although it's certainly not unheard of. There may be other factors, too.

edited to add - The radio in current use in corporate aircraft (TDFM-36b) runs about $15,000. I can't find a price for the Becker, but it ain't cheap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

When Mission Pilots show up to an event, they need to be flexible and be able to fly as many aircraft on the line as possible. So the Operations folks are not limited to options for missions. The more we fly CAP aircraft, the more familiar, and comfortable, we become. Its a good thing.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Another factor is the fact that if we want to keep the CAP fleet at it's current size then we need to fly them.
IIRC the goal is about 200 hours a year.

FlyingPig

For the sake of discussion, if a member uses their personal airplane for an F5 or F91, how does the liability aspect work for the CAP check pilot sitting right seat?
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
CFI Airplane / CFI Helicopter
Former Sq. Commander

cherring

Seems like an odd topic to pursue, given the restrictions on member-owned a/c found in 70-1 section 9.2. I can see why it's easy to say them to say "no" to such a request. From a legal standpoint, you're absorbing all the risk. From a practical standpoint, F5's and F91's are to prove you can fly and use the equipment in CAP aircraft. From an even more practical standpoint, why would you want to spend your own money when CAP will fund it for you? I wish they would pay for gas to drive to the airport where the CAP plane sits. <g>

etodd

Quote from: cherring on December 02, 2022, 02:47:39 AMSeems like an odd topic to pursue....

Usually by us old geezers. Especially the ones that remember what they consider the "hey day" of CAP. When members in their own aircraft could throw "bombs" at submarines passing by.

Its nice to have fond memories, but we must realize its all ancient history. Old black and white photos of historical events from days gone by.

With absolutely NO RELEVANCE to today's Civil Air Patrol. Close the book, let dust fall on it. Reopen every 10 years to reminensce.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on December 03, 2022, 01:50:46 AMUsually by us old geezers. Especially the ones that remember what they consider the "hey day" of CAP. When members in their own aircraft could throw "bombs" at submarines passing by.

Of course back then we weren't getting brand new Cessnas paid for by the Air Force. We were getting a few surplus aircraft like T-34A's, O-1's, T-41's and even a few Beavers and Otters.
This didn't even come close to meeting our needs so we relied a lot on member owned aircraft. Especially since this was before ELT's and searches could go on for a week or two or three.

TheSkyHornet

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 20, 2022, 07:21:23 PMI'm waiting for the surplus T-38s

What, the surplus T-37s weren't good enough for ya?

Here is one of those "when I was a cadet" deals... in the early 1970's, our composite squadron had two CAP owned airplanes; a T-34 and a Cessna O1E Birddog.  My first airplane ride, an o-flight, was in the Birddog.  I got to wear a helmet and dropped a message to a groundteam during an exercise.  Pretty big stuff for a 13 year old kid!