Main Menu

Inventory

Started by ChiefCubsFan, September 02, 2022, 02:57:42 PM

ChiefCubsFan

I have a printer in my inventory that I'm sure is from the Regan administration. OK maybe not that old. How do I remove it from my inventory? We haven't used it in many years. I see in ORMS where you can retire an item. Is that the proper course of action?

dwb

Yes, work with your group/wing logistics folks to initiate the retirement. It needs to be approved before you dispose of the equipment. Once you get the green light, find a local electronics recycling place to dispose of it responsibly and close the loop with LG letting them know it's gone.

It's usually a quick process for really old equipment.

Eclipse

^^^ This.

Just DON'T dispose of it until it's been removed.

And for those scoring at home, never...

EVER...

...indicate something was "Found on Base".

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The "way" to initiate retirement for old and obsolete equipment.

Bring up ORMS, run search for the type of equipment it is, hit the view button at the extreme left of the listing.
This will bring up that item's "master record". Along the top of the page is a series of actions you can do, Retire is in the center. Hitting the Retire button will take you to the page where you can start the retirement process. The system notifies the proper people and they will send you e-mails giving you instructions on what to do next. Depending on how the equipment was funded the whole process takes a week or two to happen.

arajca

As a WG/LG, group is not involved in the retirement process.

"Obsolete Equipment - no current drivers available" is a valid reason to retire something.

The biggest hang up in the process is 1. not disposing of an item once the retirement is approved or 2. letting the WG/LG know it's been disposed of and how. If the recycling center provides a receipt, send the WG/LG a copy of it. If it doesn't, create a memorandum for record stating who took what where (name and address) when. Include a note the the facility does not provide receipts for equipment turned in. Do not just upload the documentation under the items "Documentation" tab as the retirement process uses a different path and only the WG/LG (or WG/DC for comm gear) can upload in the retirement process.

Once the WG/LG uploads the documentation, it usualy takes a day or two for the item to disappear from your ORMS inventory.

As mentioned NEVER use "Found on Base" as a funding source. Almost any other funding source can be disposed of locally, with approval from National, but FOB MUST be turned into DLA-DS, which can be a royal pain.