Directed a TLC this past Saturday

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 15, 2016, 06:12:41 PM

Майор Хаткевич

As things always go, I went from "maybe" instructing, to "will" instruct, to "will" direct for this activity.

This was my first time at a PD course not as a student. Thus far I've taken SLS/CLC/UCC/TLC

Since the TLC materials were revised a few months back, I believe this was the first time in our wing that we've done the basic, 1 day course.

We had a typical SNAFU, with a projector turning off every few minutes (after working for a solid 45 before class), and had to resort to using a laptop per table as a work around. We got it working after lunch.

The slides were few, and picture heavy vs the multi-hundred-text-full slides of other courses I've taken. This is one of those courses that lends itself to discussion, probably more so than the others, and quite a few things were shared, learned, and discussed, at times running over the set time for the class. I'm going to put together some notes on what we found to be confusing/needing improvement, but overall the quality of the slides and instructor sheets were great.

I feel like there needs to be an emphasis on a few things that aren't touched upon. Primarily, eservices. There are many useful reports in the system now for cadet programs, but it seemed that many in the room were either unaware or unsure on where to find them. In general, perhaps a self study video /simulation class needs to be developed on using eservices. The other thing is the lack of awareness of the wonderful Cadet Programs pamphlets, brochures, sheets, forms, etc that the CP crew at NHQ has been releasing for the last 10 years or so. Some great materials are out there, but aren't well publicized or really incorporated into the PD side of the Cadet Programs Officer track.

But at the end of the day? At least 2 units will receive TLC credit that they needed for QCUA, and people walked away with a better handle on the Cadet Program, and some useful information.

Eclipse

Did you find certificates for the new version of the class?

The only ones I see in eServices reference the 2-day version.

RTFG: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Grad_Cert_Basic_D3501CACE2E2A.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

I took this in CAWG on 14 Jan and my certificate matches the course. It say "Basic Course."

Eclipse

Yeah, that's the one above. 

We're getting ready run one and I'm finding all the changes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2017, 01:23:36 AM
Yeah, that's the one above. 

We're getting ready run one and I'm finding all the changes.

I see you found the cert. I got them printed at Staples, and then ran through my B/W printer. I can share the word file for text positioning.

Eclipse

The version linked above is form-fillable.  Click-Type-Print.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2017, 05:10:15 PM
The version linked above is form-fillable.  Click-Type-Print.

Well, look at Mr. Money Bags over here with a color printer and hard-stock paper on hand!  >:D

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, here's the real reason I did my own:

QuoteOn 13 August 2016
Grade Student Name
(Instructor/Director – Delete for Students! )

The fillable form had 1 line. No way to paper the instructors, or to include date on Cert. So between my lack of color ink, hard stock paper, it gave me a chance to generate extra data on the certs.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

I was the course director for one of the first classes of the new version and I had to make my own certificates.  I just modified the 2-day certificate to reflect "basic" and "intermediate."  The full version of Acrobat is a great tool to have!

Spaceman3750

Acrobat Reader (free) will allow you to overlay text and signatures.

Not that the way you did it was wrong, Major. Just a suggestion.

Eclipse

We discussed this in another thread but something like Dochub, which is free and can be linked to
GSuite accounts will let you do the same as well.

As CAP notebooks no longer shipping with full Acrobat? All the machines I have, which admittedly are older, have(d) it.

"That Others May Zoom"