Main Menu

CAP Photo ID project

Started by whatevah, August 23, 2005, 03:18:59 AM

arajca

Looks like you got most of my concerns, but the "Civil Air Patrol" still appears as a secondary name. I made the "Civil Air Patrol" white and removed the USAF Aux text. It would be replaced by a holographic overlay along with the new AF symbol.

Looking at it more throughly, the physical data is ok on the back since there is a lot of information on the front. The benefit of having it on the front is National would only have to print one side. The back could come preprinted from the card supplier. Thus saving money.

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: arajca on September 09, 2005, 01:03:38 AM
Looks like you got most of my concerns, but the "Civil Air Patrol" still appears as a secondary name. I made the "Civil Air Patrol" white and removed the USAF Aux text. It would be replaced by a holographic overlay along with the new AF symbol.

Looking at it more throughly, the physical data is ok on the back since there is a lot of information on the front. The benefit of having it on the front is National would only have to print one side. The back could come preprinted from the card supplier. Thus saving money.

couldn't you get everything else except the physical data already be printed on the card, so atleast we could save a little money?

arajca

It would still come down to printing a double sided card vs a single sided card. If one side comes preprinted with everything, you only need to print one side.

If you have to print on both sides, you need a double sided printer (add a few hundred for this feature) with the appropriate ribbon(s). If you stick with a single sided printer, you half to run the card through twice (once front, once back). This take labor which costs money.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: arajca on September 09, 2005, 03:35:30 AM
It would still come down to printing a double sided card vs a single sided card. If one side comes preprinted with everything, you only need to print one side.

If you have to print on both sides, you need a double sided printer (add a few hundred for this feature) with the appropriate ribbon(s). If you stick with a single sided printer, you half to run the card through twice (once front, once back). This take labor which costs money.
My opinion is that we take off the physical data, so that the back side can come preprinted. Personally, I see no need for it when you have a picture on the front.

pixelwonk

Quote from: CALcadet144 on September 09, 2005, 10:52:10 PM

My opinion is that we take off the physical data, so that the back side can come preprinted. Personally, I see no need for it when you have a picture on the front.

bingo...

Someone give this young man a cookie for  common sense!

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: tedda on September 10, 2005, 01:39:08 AM
Quote from: CALcadet144 on September 09, 2005, 10:52:10 PM

bingo...

Someone give this young man a cookie for  common sense!

:D Heh heh. thank you sir

PhoenixRisen

Has anyone come up with any new designs or anything to contribute to this, lately?

afgeo4

Care to add the member's grade?   Also, someone should give Maj Gen Pineda his grade back next to his signature.  It's only fitting.  I like the design overall, but I'd wait to see what the new CAC will look like.  We could be very close to the new design and the DoD would turn it down, AGAIN.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on December 16, 2005, 06:22:07 AM
Care to add the member's grade?   Also, someone should give Maj Gen Pineda his grade back next to his signature.  It's only fitting.  I like the design overall, but I'd wait to see what the new CAC will look like.  We could be very close to the new design and the DoD would turn it down, AGAIN.

(Nota Bene: Thick Sarcasm involved here)

Maybe we should issue a Wehrpass-like ID document, like the German military used to issue to soldiers and officers.  It was a little bigger than a passport, had about 10 pages in it, and doubled as your personal copy of your personnel records as well as your primary form of identification.  It had your photo, your unit assignments, all the awards you were authorized to wear, any special ratings or clearances, etc.  Each entry was signed by the appropriate commander and the unit's stamp was affixed next to it.

We could combine our 101 cards, radio operator cards, membership and ID cards all into one booklet!  When your membership got renewed, or your earned an ES rating, or you were promoted or earned a new ribbon, the commander just makes the entry into the booklet, stamps it, and voila!   

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Matt

It's just so crazy that is just might work....  ;D
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: Matt on December 16, 2005, 06:33:09 PM

Hey, at least with the 10-page passport-style booklet ID, the USAF couldn't get all worried that someone might mistake us for a DoD contractor who mows the lawn, god forbid.

Of course, we'd have to get a big pocket sewn on all of our various uniforms so we could stuff it somewhere.  But these are just minor considerations... the Air Force's inability to control secure areas should be our primary concern when making an ID for our organization.   ;)

MIKE

Isn't the Soldbuch also a pay book like the Brits had about the same timeframe...  If it were used in CAP it would obviously be in reverse, but would be a Finance Officers nightmare when its time for Pay Parade to note dues payments and the like.

"Your papers, please."  Sounds better in German though.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Matt

Quote from: MIKE on December 16, 2005, 07:45:41 PM

Do I hear the Great Escape playing?
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on December 16, 2005, 07:45:41 PM

As if there were any other way to say it, than with a thick Bavarian accent...

And yes, the Soldbuch was a booklet similar to the Wehrpass in which a soldier's pay was recorded.  It noted when they received pay, how much they were entitled to, etc.  The Wehrpass, although similar in look, is actually a separate document and was intended more for identification, proof of status, and all-around personnel records.  Military police would often stop soldiers to check their Wehrpass, to make sure they were supposed to be on leave, to see if they had proper orders to go where they were going, to ensure they weren't wearing any awards they weren't authorized, and to generally harass them.   :)

I've modified the above suggested Soldbuch/Wehrpass idea to a sample Civil Air Patrol version.   ;D

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on December 16, 2005, 08:45:52 PM
I've modified the above suggested Soldbuch/Wehrpass idea to a sample Civil Air Patrol version.   ;D

Der pic ist broken.  ;)
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

You know, we have enough trouble with the cadets keeping track of a simple three-ring binder, which if lost, doesn't represent an earth-shattering event. Entrusting them with their entire career in a passport size booklet is just asking for disaster. If you tell me that there is also their CAPF 66, then we are doubling the admin burden with little additional benefit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Pylon on December 16, 2005, 07:28:12 PM

Of course, we'd have to get a big pocket sewn on all of our various uniforms so we could stuff it somewhere.  But these are just minor considerations... the Air Force's inability to control secure areas should be our primary concern when making an ID for our organization.   ;)

True that we do need to consider the security issue. We need to get on bases without the length of time it takes, and we need to prove who we are. I know 7th graders that can make better cards than what they give us, security wise.

lordmonar

Quote from: cadetrainey on May 15, 2013, 09:16:47 PM

True that we do need to consider the security issue. We need to get on bases without the length of time it takes, and we need to prove who we are. I know 7th graders that can make better cards than what they give us, security wise.
Hey!  Welcome to CAPTALK.......and I think you took the record for Necroing a dead thread!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ARandomCadet

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2013, 09:28:19 PM
Quote from: cadetrainey on May 15, 2013, 09:16:47 PM

Hey!  Welcome to CAPTALK.......and I think you took the record for Necroing a dead thread!

Thanks!

SarDragon

We have a winner - by 268 days, for a current record of 2707 days!

Mr. Rainey, it is prudent to check the dates on posts you are considering responding to. Posting on a thread that hasn't had any activity for almost seven and a half years it almost certainly a wasted effort.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret