Main Menu

Forecast of Iowa Wing.

Started by RogueLeader, June 20, 2007, 04:33:30 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 25, 2007, 04:40:31 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on December 24, 2007, 03:05:59 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 23, 2007, 06:43:25 AM
For knowledge, Lt Col Critelli has been selected as the new IAWG CC.

Congrats to him!!
Sorry to hear that you weren't selected.

This gives me the chance to work under Col Critelli, learn the ropes and maybe in 4 years, We'll try again.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!!

How long was he CS/CV??  A few years at least? 

How long until you make Major?  You should be about a year out right?
I know for a fact that I would really like to serve under your command.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 25, 2007, 07:45:37 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 25, 2007, 04:40:31 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on December 24, 2007, 03:05:59 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 23, 2007, 06:43:25 AM
For knowledge, Lt Col Critelli has been selected as the new IAWG CC.

Congrats to him!!
Sorry to hear that you weren't selected.

This gives me the chance to work under Col Critelli, learn the ropes and maybe in 4 years, We'll try again.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!!

How long was he CS/CV??  A few years at least? 

How long until you make Major?  You should be about a year out right?
I know for a fact that I would really like to serve under your command.

CS/CV for at least 2.5-3 Years, Nov 2009 to TIG for Major, and thanks.

PHall

Now the fun begins.  Ray Hayden's new target is Col Critelli. (Per a piece in NOTF. Dec 24, 2007, page 2, 2nd item)

Just when you thought that things couldn't get any weirder!

JAFO78

Not that I want to open a can of worms but how do I find NOTF?
JAFO

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

What in blazes is NOTF's problem with Nick Critelli?

I read the piece and it offered no explanation as to why such severe action should be taken?

NOTF is part of the problem, not part of the solution.....while they have every right to disagree with Col. Critelli's policies or philosophies, rational discussion demands that some reasons be offered as to why. Logical thought also requires providing alternatives.

NONE of it calls for the kind of personal attack which seems common on NOTF when discussing CAP leadership.

RogueLeader

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 27, 2007, 03:21:25 AM
What in blazes is NOTF's problem with Nick Critelli?

I read the piece and it offered no explanation as to why such severe action should be taken?

NOTF is part of the problem, not part of the solution.....while they have every right to disagree with Col. Critelli's policies or philosophies, rational discussion demands that some reasons be offered as to why. Logical thought also requires providing alternatives.

NONE of it calls for the kind of personal attack which seems common on NOTF when discussing CAP leadership.

It has to do with TP, He was the Change Agent in IAWG for the WTA concept.  TP noticed what was going on, and liked what he saw.  NOTF sees Critelli as a GOB of TP and automatically reacts against. 

That said, I know of some people who dislike both NOTF and Critelli. Professionally, I'm one of them.  I have talked with him on numerous occasions, and while I definitely agree with his assessments of problems; I do NOT agree with some his ideas to deal with them.  For example, there was not enough qualified Senior staff at wing, so he proposed to move all Field Grade Officers to wing Staff- whether they liked it or not.  Then there was an instance of Cadet Testing compromise- the solution, all Testing HAD to be done at the WTA's.  Well, Cadet progression stopped until it was revoked.  I also didn't like his ideas to "help" the cadet program by realigning all the cadets to a single squadron, and having Detachments at the local units.

Personally, I have no grudges against him- definitely not what NOTF seems to be advocating.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

We shall see how Iowa progresses through a leadership change.  It will be interesting. 
What's up monkeys?

isuhawkeye

All leadership changes are unique, and challenging. 

What issues would you like to see addressed, or clarified?

ZigZag911

RogueLeader, you are an example of exactly what NOTF is not: your disagreements with Col. Critelli are professionally based, stated with civility and reason. You do not engage in personal invective or attack.

NOTF, from what you are saying, is engaging in 'guilt by association' -- if the former national commander approved of Nick's ideas, then Nick must be one of his disciples!

Is there a Pulitzer prize for twisted logic?

Oh, wait, NOTF would need to be an actual journalistic entity to be eligible...my bad!

RogueLeader

Quote from: isuhawkeye on December 27, 2007, 06:36:54 PM
All leadership changes are unique, and challenging. 

What issues would you like to see addressed, or clarified?

The Field Grade Transition:
Dump it:  Find people who are willing to to work at Wing, and then train them to that level, or advance them to the desired grade- like what happened with Maj Divarco.  He had all the Safety Training needed to do a good job.  Lt Col Mauser, the former Saftey Officer had the job for a while, but got tired of it.  He did his stint as IAWG SE.  Why should he have to do it until he quites.

All testing at WTA:
Dropped by mass resentment, so no comment needed.

Only training authorized at WTA:
Not sure if changed since I left, but why can it not change every other year?  Say, Spring ES Academy be at Camp Dodge, then Summer be at Davenport or Cedar Rapids.  I know that the Cost and logistics would be more difficult, but it have increased participation from the Squadrons in Eastern Iowa.

OTS:
Good idea, just ensure that all OTS members are in an OTS Unit.  When I was in 043, we had 8 or 9 SM in the Unit, but in OTS, unlike the rest of the OTS members.  The concept, and execution of OTS is a great idea.

I think that what IAWG has done has made the Wing more viable, particularly to the people in Western Iowa where there few squadrons.  The way it seems is that the east half is being sacrificed to help the west.

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

^ You will find that many wings hold training where it is convenient for the ruling group.  In PA Wing, Most if not all training is held on the Eastern Side of the state, even though there are more members on the Western Side.  The Group that has ruled the Wing for the past 20 years have been from the East, and all the schools are staffed by people from the East.  I have been to other wings where this has been the same.  I would imagine that Iowa is no different.

It is really a shame if you think about that, as some states are HUGE.  With GAS going up, many members are foregoing training opportunities, or staffing activities when they have to drive 6 hours to get there.   

What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

With the IAWG program, the Wing pays for all the gas  8)  Which is a definite plus, I assure you.  I know that is how it usually works, but I'm trying to make the concept work for as many people as I can.  I know that I am no longer there, but I feel that my knowledge of people in my unit, as well as some others, that I can act as an advocate for them in a small way.  I've heard that parents would NOT let their children go four hours away for a weekend. an hour or an hour and a half would have been ok.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

I think the only valid criticism that NOTF and Hayden have made is in regard to the new Colonel's total time in CAP.  If what they say is accurate he has been in CAP for less than 5 years, has had no command experience and jumped from Lt to Lt. Col based on being the legislative liasion.  They did not state and I do not know if he has completed all the professional development steps he skipped over.    

Based on the various discussions we've had in other threads about Wing commander qualifications in general, he wouldn't meet the criteria suggested by most members here.  

RogueLeader

From what I have been able to determine, Lt. Col Critelli has been in for roughly 5 years- I have no exact date.  He did make Lt. Col. by being Legislative Liaison.  As such he served the wing well by getting us plenty of money. 320,000 in three years, IIRC.  he has had some command experience as Wing/CV. and CoS, totaling about 2.5 years.  I have no knowledge of his PD achievements.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Hayden claims he joined in March, 2003. 

The positions you mention are staff positions and are by no means equivalent to command experience.  I would never, ever, ever, select a Wing commander who had not spent any time as a squadron or group commander unless I was all out of candidates. 

isuhawkeye

thanks for the input, but I am not in the position to format changes in policy.  I am simply asking for topics, not position points.  If you would like something specific changed I recommend you contact them directly.  

Lt Col.  Critelli is level IV complete, and (I believe) is only missing national staff school for level V.

isuhawkeye

Removed.

I refuse to get deeper into this discussion.

RogueLeader

that wold put it close to the information that I have.  I do know that there was a Squadron commander that put in an application for the job.  He earned his Silver Oaks the hard way.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

isuhawkeye

Removed.

I refuse to get deeper into this discussion.