Main Menu

Forecast of Iowa Wing.

Started by RogueLeader, June 20, 2007, 04:33:30 PM

RogueLeader

I have to admit that when I started this thread, I heard some what I felt where disturbing things coming out of Iowa, and thus I was fairly enraged.  This is when I should have walked away for a while and cool down.  Since then, I have been working to take the concept of the IAWG model, and try to make the concept work around the US.  I won't deny that there are many hurdles to making it work, but it takes time, effort, and the right timing.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ZigZag911

The Iowa folks, if nothing else, have set an outstanding example:

1) considered the state of the wing
2) identified problem areas
3) developed a plan to address the problems
4) executed the plan
5) reviewed the outcomes and made needed corrections

In other words, they actually did something instead of moaning and whining about things....good for them!!

Their answer may not be every wing's answer....but they've blazed a trail we all need to follow!

RiverAux

Actually trying to make a major change in CAP operations is in itself unusual.  CAP is generally pretty conservative, which is usually a good thing.  Some of the stuff they're doing isn't really all that revolutionary and is, or should be, done everywhere (relationship developing), but it definetely set the stage for their later programs. 

RogueLeader

No takers on my offer to help? ???
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

floridacyclist

Actually, I have been asked by my group commander to gather any and all info on IA wing, their schedules etc etc...since gp 2 is about the same size and population, it just makes sense to look at as much of your source material as possible before proceeding in any direction.

Any and all schedules and agendas are much appreciated.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 04, 2007, 07:50:15 AM
Actually, I have been asked by my group commander to gather any and all info on IA wing, their schedules etc etc...since gp 2 is about the same size and population, it just makes sense to look at as much of your source material as possible before proceeding in any direction.

Any and all schedules and agendas are much appreciated.

Pardon, but you mean to say that your GROUP is the size of IOWA's entire WING?   Gott Mit Uns ... I need to move South.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

Almost the same size and population; 300 miles from one end to the other (Apalachicola to Daytona) and a couple hundred folks.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

isuhawkeye

its not uncommon to have groups in many states that are larger than the membership of Iowa. 

Lt. Col. Critelli, Cyclone, and myself are the best source of information.  we can pass along material,a dn I know cyclone has forwarded many schedules. 

Unfortunately until you see it in action you never grasp the scope of it. 

To see the entire wing in formation.  To sit in the wing wide briefings, to eat in our chow hall with guard units drooling in envy.  Thats when you truly understand what we have been doing. 

Major Carrales

Ours is Group V...

Texas provides lots of logistical issues with several GROUPS GEOGRAPHICALLY LARGER than some Wings.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

The member count of CAWG Group 7 (@ 800) is larger than 16 or so wings. Geographically we're larger than less than that (5474 sq mi).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

At its height (450-500) my group was bigger than about half the other wings here in NER!

Nick Critelli

Keep in mind, we intentionally keep our membership in check.  On the officer side, the size of the Wing should be in relation to the need for CAP services.  If all you are doing is four or five ELT's a year (as we were) you don't need to train up 400 officers.

Membership for membership sake is a bad idea. Your members quickly become frustrated, dissatisfied and will quit.  You will enter a recruitment/ training  conundrum. ..which means you are constantly trying to regenerate yourself.

You measure the health of a Wing by a combination of its retention and senior progression rates.  Low retention rate and a high number of Level I's with red service ribbons is a prescription for disaster.

ZigZag911

Granted, but not everyone joins for ES....there are other roles that are 'personnel intensive'.

RogueLeader

Right, to all of the comments so far.  I hope that LTC Critelli, Cyclone, Isuhawkeye, et al in IAWG Chain of Command have noticed that I am honestly trying to apply the concepts of the IAWG model and make them work- and that I am NOT trying to hurt IAWG, or make them look bad.  It is true that I did post an attachment that IAWG was considering, for which I was not thinking the way I should have.  I am also apologizing again for that inconsideration.

Again, I am opening the initiation to help create portfolios to distribute to local organizations about your ES, Cadet, and AE operations.  I just need to be able to talk and work with those that want to.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

wingnut

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 12, 2007, 05:45:06 AM
The Iowa folks, if nothing else, have set an outstanding example:

1) considered the state of the wing
2) identified problem areas
3) developed a plan to address the problems
4) executed the plan
5) reviewed the outcomes and made needed corrections

In other words, they actually did something instead of moaning and whining about things....good for them!!

Their answer may not be every wing's answer....but they've blazed a trail we all need to follow!

I certainly Hope and pray we follow the model for CAWG

RiverAux

So, has Iowa generated any recent reports on evaluating this experiment?  I'd like to see some current stats if any are available. 

CadetProgramGuy

For knowledge, Lt Col Critelli has been selected as the new IAWG CC.

Congrats to him!!

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 23, 2007, 06:43:25 AM

Congrats to him!!
Sorry to hear that you weren't selected.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 24, 2007, 03:05:59 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 23, 2007, 06:43:25 AM

Congrats to him!!
Sorry to hear that you weren't selected.

This gives me the chance to work under Col Critelli, learn the ropes and maybe in 4 years, We'll try again.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though!!