Main Menu

Oaths of Office

Started by Major Carrales, May 30, 2007, 03:08:28 PM

SARMedTech

As a newbie, Im not familiar with membership requirements totally yet as far as staying in. I know there are some members in my new squadron that I met at the first meeting I attended and havent seen them since (a couple of months ago and we meet every week). Whats the process for "disenrollment." I know the CGAUX has a policy of "counselling" members who are not making sufficient progress towards boat crew membership in a time frame of two years. Other than disciplinary reasons, is there a way that a Squadron or Wing commander can disenroll someone for reasons of non-participation or just not living up to what they said they would do when they signed on?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

ncc1912

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 10, 2007, 02:07:52 AM
As a newbie, Im not familiar with membership requirements totally yet as far as staying in. I know there are some members in my new squadron that I met at the first meeting I attended and havent seen them since (a couple of months ago and we meet every week). Whats the process for "disenrollment." I know the CGAUX has a policy of "counselling" members who are not making sufficient progress towards boat crew membership in a time frame of two years. Other than disciplinary reasons, is there a way that a Squadron or Wing commander can disenroll someone for reasons of non-participation or just not living up to what they said they would do when they signed on?
Sure there are ways and they can "disenroll" someone on those grounds... but they (used generally) won't.  For CAP, membership = revenue.

Generally speaking, as long as a member pays dues to the squadron, wing or CAP NHQ, their absence and/or inadequacies will be tolerated by commanders.
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Dragoon

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 09, 2007, 10:34:30 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on June 08, 2007, 04:01:12 PM
Yup.  Rather than being "as big as possible," I think we'd be better off being "as big as we need to be."

Someone determines the requirements, and then tasks each Wing to provide certain capabilities.  Wings divvy these taskings amongst their units, and then units recruit to that level.   And then stop - mission accomplished.

Much of our QA problem on members could be solved if we limited who we let walk in the door in the first place.

That's any interesting prospect and I assume you mean who you let apply or who gets approved for membership. In addition to the current regulations in this regard, what else would you add that might be good in terms of helping to "police" the new membership.

Simple, all we have now is a "membership committee" that recommends whether or not he's a good guy, whatever that means.  No criteria. 

I think it would be interesting to only allow someone to join (or to transfer into a unit) if.

1.  Either:

a.  They have a skill you need, and they are willing to use it in support of the unit.

b.  They are willing to fill a particular job for you - a job you need done, rather than the job they happen to want to do.

and

2.   They demonstrate through a probationary period that yup, they are actually dedicated to working for CAP and successfully doing the job they signed up to do.

and finally

3.  In the opinion of the commander and his membership committee, this person seems to be someone who would fit in well with the squadron team.

You know, kind of the way you hire folks for your office.

For example, let's say your squadron has a manning document that stated you needed 8 pilots for your aircraft (At least 4 of whom are mission pilots and at least 4 are cadet orientation pilots).  And your unit has this many pilots already.

So, this pilot comes through the door.   All he wants to do is fly.  But you don't really NEED another pilot.  So you say to him "Hey, I'm happy to have you come fly with us, but truthfully, I'm good with pilots.  But I need an aerospace education officer.  If you're willing to take that job as well as fly, you're in.   And by the way, you're membership is subject to termination during first year if you don't perform the duties of the AE officer to the commander's satisfaction.  If that's not to your liking, I can point you at several other units that might need a pilot."

Or imagine saying to the former cadet who wants to join your unit "I've got cadet programs types coming out my ears and don't really need another one.  On the other hand, I'm short a personnel officer.  If you are willing to do that, you're in.  If not, I can point you at several other squadrons that might need the help."

It's a whole different focus - recruit to fill a slot rather than recruit just to get bigger, in the hopes that out of the masses you can find a few who actually want to do real work.

mikeylikey

Taken from the NHQ website.......

QuoteCastle said he wants new members to become not only immediately involved in the program but also committed to it.
    "Everyone needs to understand that we have a military command structure in CAP and expect people to do what they say they will do," he said.

He hopes that commitment will extend to current members when plans are in place for everyone to be sworn in again by reciting the CAP Oath of Office. "I had a small hand in revising the oath that's already on the back of the membership application," Castle said, "and I'd like to see it used in a formal ceremony where existing members renew their oath of commitment to CAP and new members stand up before their squadron to actually be sworn in."

This is the incoming Oklahoma Wing Commander.  He creates our new OATH and he becomes a Wing Commander. 

Those who don't want the Oath......please send your comments to him!
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

^BUMP

Has anyone heard anything else about this "CAP Oath" ?

Has anyone been given the 'real' oath at a promotion ceremony lately?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?