2 promotion per year, or 2B

Started by Equinox, February 20, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

Panzerbjorn

Yes, that reason is to know which cadets need some attention.  They'll get some counseling, encouragement, and see what we can do to help.

Okay, you have a cadet that has a hard time with PT and isn't eligible for a waiver. You're going to 2B a cadet who's active and benefits from the program because they have a hard time running a mile or doing push-ups?

Perhaps an appropriate first step would be to Form 50 the cadet and get a clearer picture of what's going on.

But what I staunchly disagree with is the blanket statement of "if they don't promote twice in a year, kick em out!"
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 25, 2015, 09:24:00 PM
Yes, that reason is to know which cadets need some attention.  They'll get some counseling, encouragement, and see what we can do to help.

Okay, you have a cadet that has a hard time with PT and isn't eligible for a waiver. You're going to 2B a cadet who's active and benefits from the program because they have a hard time running a mile or doing push-ups?

Perhaps an appropriate first step would be to Form 50 the cadet and get a clearer picture of what's going on.

But what I staunchly disagree with is the blanket statement of "if they don't promote twice in a year, kick em out!"

Perhaps reading would actually be of help. Because it's been stated numerous times, that before a 2B is taken, all efforts to help the cadet should be taken. No one is going to boot a kid struggling with PT,as long as he's actually trying to improve.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 25, 2015, 09:31:48 PM

Perhaps reading would actually be of help. Because it's been stated numerous times, that before a 2B is taken, all efforts to help the cadet should be taken. No one is going to boot a kid struggling with PT,as long as he's actually trying to improve.

Did you mean to sound so condescending and patronizing, or was it an accident on your part?
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 25, 2015, 05:58:03 PM
Exactly what does it mean to run a cadet program like a rec center?  I'd be very interested to know that.

Hat, myself, and others on this board have direct contact and prolonged experience with the rec center mentality.

Units with large numbers of cadets who somehow magically all make their promotions and achievements to the day
of their eligibility, yet when challenged can't perform to 1/2 their grade level.  Clock to a diamond like a rocket and
then not a single one challenges Spaatz because that's the one place where a disinterested 3rd party would be
doing the examination. (Yes it was addressed up the chain, by a lot of people, no nothing is/was done.)

These units show up in force to wing activities like SARExs and encampments, only to wreck havoc because
neither the adult leadership from the unit, nor the cadets, are prepared for the environment, despite their age and
grade, because in many cases, they have never been asked to do some of the most basic cadet "stuff" that their peers
perform on a regular basis.

Then comes the disappointment on these cadets' faces when they see how they have been let down by their leadership,
and the pips and badges they have are meaningless.  Add the cherry on top of the behavioural issues that present themselves
when a large group of ill-prepared adolescents descend upon an unsuspecting activity, or when a Cadet Major who can't even
stand at attention properly is trying to "drill" his flight, when he's clearly never done anything close in his life.

It's not fair to anyone involved, and is a disservice to the cadet(s).

Which is fine, I suppose, except it's been made clear several times that this isn't what is being espoused here, so
disagreeing with it insinuates we're supporting that.  No one here is.

With that said...

Everyone wants these badges, bling, and accomplishments to "mean something".  That requires that the respective
award or affiliation have expectations, and with expectations come the very real chance that some people won't
make a particular cut, or that they can't do everything.

Objective standards require lines be drawn somewhere, whether absolutes, or for conversation's sake, you have to have something,
yet the minute standards are discussed, there's always people who want to assume the worst edge-case scenario to make their argument.
Suggest two a year is a good measure, and you get people running to the stage thinking that on day 366 the 2b has already been processed, etc.

An expectation of two clicks a year for the average cadet is not unreasonable considering CAP's mission, and the way the
average adolescent's attention span can waver these days.  It's also a good general judge of a cadet's real progress and
interest.  Too many more then two a year and you have to start looking at whether the Unit CC has a happy pen,
too many fewer and you have to ask if the time invested by both the unit and the cadet is a good ROI.

The problem is that many Unit CCs don't want to even bother with that math.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panzerbjorn

That's a much more meaningful response, Eclipse, than "Perhaps reading would help..." which throws up the defensive walls and raises the hackles.

That answer is also a good baseline for me too. We have a handful of cadets our of our 40 or so that show up regularly do promote every two months because they ARE high speed low drag cadets.  We also have some on the other side of the spectrum that would be a subject of this conversation.

As I write this, I'm sitting at the State EOC with some of my cadets as we have been asked to provide support to the emergency operations here for the next couple of days.  Really, all I'm here to do is be here to comply with CPPT regs, which says well of their capabilities.

So, good...by your definition, we don't have a rec center program.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 26, 2015, 12:01:53 AM
That's a much more meaningful response, Eclipse, than "Perhaps reading would help..." which throws up the defensive walls and raises the hackles.

That answer is also a good baseline for me too. We have a handful of cadets our of our 40 or so that show up regularly do promote every two months because they ARE high speed low drag cadets.  We also have some on the other side of the spectrum that would be a subject of this conversation.

As I write this, I'm sitting at the State EOC with some of my cadets as we have been asked to provide support to the emergency operations here for the next couple of days.  Really, all I'm here to do is be here to comply with CPPT regs, which says well of their capabilities.

So, good...by your definition, we don't have a rec center program.

Defensive walls? That's what you got when you mischaracterized the discussion. I stand by my comment, no matter HOW you perceived it. Feel free to continue being indignant.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 26, 2015, 03:02:57 AM

Defensive walls? That's what you got when you mischaracterized the discussion. I stand by my comment, no matter HOW you perceived it. Feel free to continue being indignant.

Okay, at least now I know you were deliberately being a toolbag.  Noted.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on February 26, 2015, 04:34:41 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 26, 2015, 03:02:57 AM

Okay, at least now I know you were deliberately being a toolbag.  Noted.

If that's how you feel about it, whatever floats your boat.

Luis R. Ramos

Regular people in here know the rules, expectations, and behaviors and comments of others. It always amazes me when someone that has been posting regularly comes mid-post and gets offended when someone tells them "read the posts before your comment," or "answered sometime ago," etc. Ad nauseum, we read "already answered," etc.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Pylon

If we can't all be civil, then we can't continue the conversation.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP