2 promotion per year, or 2B

Started by Equinox, February 20, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

Luis R. Ramos

The last two replies missed the point or introduced stuff not stated in the message they addressed.

What is the problem of the Cadet Program being a positive alternative in a problem neighborhood?

And where does the comment "Is that what the cadet program is?" fit in that quoted message? I would say, "That is the start."

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2015, 06:08:39 PM
The last two replies missed the point or introduced stuff not stated in the message they addressed.

What is the problem of the Cadet Program being a positive alternative in a problem neighborhood?

And where does the comment "Is that what the cadet program is?" fit in that quoted message? I would say, "That is the start."

Not quite. Allowing kids to 'just be there', no matter the noble sentiment, misses the point.

Luis R. Ramos

Capt,

You are still missing my point.

Where are you getting the idea they are "just letting kids be there?" This is not evidenced by the message. You have to assume they are doing a complete, supervised program as outlined by CAP regs.
Squadron Safety Officer

vorteks

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2015, 07:16:05 PM
Capt,

You are still missing my point.

Where are you getting the idea they are "just letting kids be there?" This is not evidenced by the message. You have to assume they are doing a complete, supervised program as outlined by CAP regs.

You are missing the point. He obviously used it as an example to support his stated position that it's OK for kids to join CAP and just go to meetings without progressing in CP.

Luis R. Ramos

Veritec,

You missed the entire point.

The originator of the message was Flying Pig. He was the first one to mention it. Nowhere does he states that the only thing the cadet was there for was for a "night out." That he was not giving them a chance to participate in a complete program.

The other two, Coudano and Captain, are reacting as if Flying would not have given them a program.
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2015, 07:57:10 PM
Veritec,

You missed the entire point.

The originator of the message was Flying Pig. He was the first one to mention it. Nowhere does he states that the only thing the cadet was there for was for a "night out." That he was not giving them a chance to participate in a complete program.

The other two, Coudano and Captain, are reacting as if Flying would not have given them a program.

Sr Ramos, maybe you're the one who is missing the point since everybody else seems to be wrong but you.
Time to reevaluate your position on this maybe?

Flying Pig

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 22, 2015, 06:01:40 PM
Quote from: coudano on February 22, 2015, 05:54:55 PM
QuoteI had cadets who came to CAP because they lived in gang infested neighborhoods in Fresno CA and CAP was the one night a week they got to go outside.

Is that what the cadet program is???

Certainly many units are run as rec. Centers...
I can assure you my unit was not a rec center.  Several cadets appointed to service academies as well as Wing and Region Squadron of Distinction and Unit Citation.  But I'm sure some units are

vorteks

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2015, 07:57:10 PM

No they weren't. No one accused FlyingPig of denying anyone a program. You're creating a straw man there. Maybe you just like to argue.

vorteks

No one said that was a problem.

That's exactly what you're doing.

Private Investigator

Can we have punch and cookies and just get along?  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 22, 2015, 04:41:20 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 22, 2015, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on February 22, 2015, 01:25:25 PM
If you have cadets who stagnate absolutely motivate them to promote. But some kids just like the meeting nights, and that's ok too.

Is it?

Yes. It's OK.  If they aren't disrutpting or creating any issues.  Not everyone was born to lead or born to set the example.  I had cadets who came to CAP because they lived in gang infested neighborhoods in Fresno CA and CAP was the one night a week they got to go outside.  Some of you guys are such hard -"a--'s it's comical.

I'll respond directly to the comment to insure I didn't misinterpret.

Yes, this is a problem, because again, CAP is not a rec center, and for the record, citing awards such as Merit and Distinction doesn't actually help your point with those of us who understand both the subjective nature of who wins those, >and< the fact that
keeping non-performing cadets on the books can actually help the baseline scores.  I know of more then a couple
rec-center units who have that pretty streamer on their flag.

Cadets join CAP and promise to adhere to a set of standards which very specifically includes active participation
and academic work towards progression.  Cadets not accepting this mandate became a problem if only by the negative example of
"being around and not doing anything but being around" (or by concentrating on non-core areas that they use as excuses for
non-progression).  BTDT here as well.

These cadets become a drag on the program, especially if they increase in numbers, because instead of becoming the
leaders they should be, and giving back, they simply remain as "takers", which isn't fair to those actually working the plan.

As someone who has had to deal personally with this issue on a pretty significant scale, I can tell you that while it might
look like a good idea from 50K feet, it causes more negative ripples then it's worth, and these cadets would be better off
elsewhere for all involved.

CAP's role is not to be anyone's "last resort" and certainly the average put-upon commander is not in a position to be filing that role.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 23, 2015, 03:53:33 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 23, 2015, 03:50:20 AM
Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

How so? We're quite on point.

Mostly, until it started coming off the rails around Reply #42, and continued thru #49.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Message 46 by Flying Pig supports the feeling I am right in my interprertation...
Squadron Safety Officer

Flying Pig

All mighty Eclipse has spoken.  I had no idea those awards didn't actually mean anything. Do you jump to conclusions naturally or do you work at it?  Where did I ever say we were running a rec center?   Making exaggerated assumptions to make a point makes about as much sense as citing a fictional movie to make a point.

vorteks

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 23, 2015, 01:06:16 PM
Message 46 by Flying Pig supports the feeling I am right in my interprertation...

Welp, no one can argue with your feelings. Have a nice day.

catrulz

One thing you have to love (or hate) about CAP, is that everyone thinks they are doing everything absolutely correctly, and everyone else is just entirely messed up! :clap:

There are cadets that I don't want to promote very fast.  Most 12 year old shouldn't be Flight Sergeants (lack the maturity), just like most 15 year old shouldn't be C/Col (lack the maturity).   The expected maturity between the Wright Brothers and the Spaatz are rated on different scales.  I've always found it interesting that you have to be an Earhart or greater and a Junior in High School to be cadet of the year, but you can earn your Spaatz as a Freshman.

Many units are officer mills, churn em out before they get a chance to actually learn anything.  You visit a unit and see the cadet officers doing element leader functions. 

Personally, I use a 2b for one thing.  Someone that is disruptive, undisciplined, has abused another cadet, or has done something illegal.  One of the best cadets I knew was an C/Amn for over a year.  She finished as an Eaker cadet.  Some cadets just start slower than others.   

Spaceman3750

You know, some cadets are probably best served staying in one spot, being the best followers they can be. Leading requires practice, but if you have a personality like mine, knowing when to raise a concern and "shut up and color" when appropriate is something you have to learn the hard way, sometimes several times.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 23, 2015, 01:19:15 PM
All mighty Eclipse has spoken.  I had no idea those awards didn't actually mean anything. Do you jump to conclusions naturally or do you work at it?  Where did I ever say we were running a rec center?   Making exaggerated assumptions to make a point makes about as much sense as citing a fictional movie to make a point.

You should read what's typed, not filter with what you thought it said.

"That Others May Zoom"