Minor in possession of alcohol

Started by 123Marine, March 25, 2012, 03:16:19 PM

123Marine

Quote from: Littleguy on March 26, 2012, 12:05:21 AM
I am a Flight Sgt., Wing level CAC primary, Supply Sgt., CERT qualified, attend most meetings, activities, etc., and I still have a HUGE social life and when I get bad grades in school, it is because I am slacking and spending my time on CAPTalk (like right now  ;))

I still have a social life, but it seems that every decision i make, even something little as taking a soda from the fridge when i shouldnt, i have to ask myself, "Is this what a cadet would do?".I'm tired of being in orbit around this thing called "Civil Air Patrol"

NCRblues

Quote from: 123Marine on March 26, 2012, 12:08:10 AM
I am a Flight Sgt., Wing level CAC primary, Supply Sgt., CERT qualified, attend most meetings, activities, etc., and I still have a HUGE social life and when I get bad grades in school, it is because I am slacking and spending my time on CAPTalk (like right now  ;))

I still have a social life, but it seems that every decision i make, even something little as taking a soda from the fridge when i shouldnt, i have to ask myself, "Is this what a cadet would do?".I'm tired of being in orbit around this thing called "Civil Air Patrol"

Well, thanks for playing, and there is the door.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

davidsinn

Quote from: thatonekid on March 26, 2012, 12:00:31 AM
How else was I supposed to direct my comments to specific people?

Use the quote button.

I am a Flight Sgt., Wing level CAC primary, Supply Sgt., CERT qualified, attend most meetings, activities, etc., and I still have a HUGE social life and when I get bad grades in school, it is because I am slacking and spending my time on CAPTalk (like right now  ;) )

So what you're saying is: you don't like the fact that the lessons we teach are actually getting ingrained in you.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

The Marines don't look kindly on people for whom integrity is a 4-letter word, either.

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2012, 12:09:59 AMSo what you're saying is: you don't like the fact that the lessons we teach are actually getting ingrained in you.

Sounds like mom & dad are getting their money's worth.

"That Others May Zoom"

123Marine

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2012, 12:09:59 AM

Use the quote button.

I am a Flight Sgt., Wing level CAC primary, Supply Sgt., CERT qualified, attend most meetings, activities, etc., and I still have a HUGE social life and when I get bad grades in school, it is because I am slacking and spending my time on CAPTalk (like right now  ;) )

So what you're saying is: you don't like the fact that the lessons we teach are actually getting ingrained in you.

No, I still value the quality of CAP values, but I believe it is taking away from my young life.

123Marine

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2012, 12:12:23 AM

The Marines don't look kindly on people for whom integrity is a 4-letter word, either.

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2012, 12:09:59 AMSo what you're saying is: you don't like the fact that the lessons we teach are actually getting ingrained in you.

Sounds like mom & dad are getting their money's worth.

I dont plan on joining the military, i simply made this account to post this question and i figured it would be fitting

Eclipse

Quote from: 123Marine on March 26, 2012, 12:13:10 AM
No, I still value the quality of CAP values, but I believe it is taking away from my young life.

There isn't a single thing about CAP's core values that would remotely take anything away from your "young life".   You're either misunderstanding
the situation, or doing things you know you should not be doing, cadet or not.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

The Core Values are taking away from him being able to live what he believes is a "normal teen life" by making him think twice about doing something he shouldn't do.  He doesn't want to think twice, he just wants to do them anyways and not worry about it.  CAP teaches cadets to be responsible, mature young men and women, and he's not ready to be a responsible young man, because it's not the "normal teen" thing to do and not as much fun!

Buttt...  He wants to bilk as much as he can out of the program before he leaves, hence staying in till after NCSA's because he wants to do that type of thing, but otherwise would not be able to do so on his own, so will take advantage of every aspect he can before he quits and lives a "normal teen life."  Am I the only one that sees the beginning of a pattern here???

AngelWings

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2012, 12:09:59 AM

Use the quote button.

What you learn now may be able to help you make your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and so on much more youth filled because CAP is something colleges and employers want to see on a resume. Spend some hard work now and you'll live better later.

123Marine

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2012, 12:14:47 AM

There isn't a single thing about CAP's core values that would remotely take anything away from your "young life".   You're either misunderstanding
the situation, or doing things you know you should not be doing, cadet or not.

I just feel as though I am held to a much higher standard. And I understand the situation, I dont think anyone needs to be in the situation I am now.

manfredvonrichthofen

Taking a soda from a fridge and drinking are two very different things.

Drinking is also very different from drinking and hiding it.
I don't think you are set in your decision to quit CAP. If you were set in quitting CAP you likely wouldn't come here asking advice about whether you will be 2b'd for drinking under age. Just remember, Eclipse is right, the Marines require integrity, as do all other services, as do most all jobs in the civilian world, in fact, I can't think of a single job anywhere that would be ok with lying.

Just think long and hard about whether you want to quit CAP, you have put a lot of time and a lot of effort into this. You never know, even if you quit, you may decide you want to come back, and if you do, you will want a good rapport with your squadron, and hiding something like this would be detrimental to your ability to return.

I hate to see any cadet leave the program, no matter the reason. It can do a lot for any cadet, and any cadet can do a lot for the program and the other cadets.

123Marine

Quote from: Woodsy on March 26, 2012, 12:19:26 AM
The Core Values are taking away from him being able to live what he believes is a "normal teen life" by making him think twice about doing something he shouldn't do.  He doesn't want to think twice, he just wants to do them anyways and not worry about it.  CAP teaches cadets to be responsible, mature young men and women, and he's not ready to be a responsible young man, because it's not the "normal teen" thing to do and not as much fun!

Buttt...  He wants to bilk as much as he can out of the program before he leaves, hence staying in till after NCSA's because he wants to do that type of thing, but otherwise would not be able to do so on his own, so will take advantage of every aspect he can before he quits and lives a "normal teen life."  Am I the only one that sees the beginning of a pattern here???

No, there is no pattern developing. I just want to get away from the 12 year olds who think they are in the military with pipe dreams to fly fighter jets.

AngelWings

Quote from: 123Marine on March 26, 2012, 12:22:11 AM

No, there is no pattern developing. I just want to get away from the 12 year olds who think they are in the military with pipe dreams to fly fighter jets.
What pipe dreams? Most of those 12 year olds are on the right path to it. They have a long time to either go towards their goal, or find something suiting.

Eclipse

What, specifically have the core values stopped you from doing.

Being sober, not incarcerated, and alive are generally thought of as life-inhancing.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: 123Marine on March 26, 2012, 12:22:11 AM

There is nothing wrong with a pipe dream of flying fighter jets. I had dreams like that when I was 12, it is an important part of life. In fact, I still have dreams that are likely to never happen, but I still have them. Have dreams, they are good for you.

thatonekid

Good lord...i can see why he wants to leave you all are attacking him for everything.
C/MSgt Collins

abdsp51

So the gist of what I get is he wants to leave on his terms and sweep the incident under the rug, have no accountability or responsibility at all for his actions. 

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: thatonekid on March 26, 2012, 12:33:58 AM
Good lord...i can see why he wants to leave you all are attacking him for everything.
These are not attacks, there was a lapse in judgement and we, at least most of us are just trying to encourage him to see what he has done, and what we think he should do about it, and how to continue from here.

Honestly 123marine, don't let this get you down too much, learn from it and push on.

EMT-83

Quote from: 123Marine on March 26, 2012, 12:20:22 AM
I just feel as though I am held to a much higher standard. And I understand the situation, I dont think anyone needs to be in the situation I am now.

You are being held to a higher standard. Sometimes that's hard to live up to, and the benefit might not be immediately obvious. If you hang in there, we can pretty much guarantee the payoff will come.

How you handle this situation is up to you. Use it as a teachable moment and move on, or let it take you down a more difficult path.

At one time, I could have been the poster child for making poor decisions. Fortunately, I learned from them and grew up. 

Quote from: thatonekid on March 26, 2012, 12:33:58 AM

No one is attacking anyone. This is an honest dialog about a serious matter, with some folks who've been around the block a couple times.

thatonekid

Theres no reason to tell them if hes about to leave anyway.
C/MSgt Collins