Minor in possession of alcohol

Started by 123Marine, March 25, 2012, 03:16:19 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 25, 2012, 11:04:59 PM
Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:58:10 PM
How ever this is simply my opinion and that is yours and reprising the usual arguments is likely to get us nowhere but irritated.
I have sources. You have opinion statements.
I hope you understand that I can a doctor to run studies saying that it makes kids 4 times less likely to have alcoholic dependence, and back it up with evidence (I've learned this through the fact that some person I know in college pulled up reference from CA about how pot has much more medical benifits than negative side effects). That's not saying that what you've provided is BS, but I think we should use real world situations here.

I am related to a few drunkards, sadly. I've talked with them before, and they all said they never drank before the legal age limit. Their parents and a good family friend said they were telling the truth. A teacher in my school drank irresponsibly has a kid, but then his friend got killed in an accident he learned to drink responsibly before the age of 18, and is now in the Army Guard and is possibly the most respected teacher in my school. A friend from Europe said that in his country, and across the continent, parents who let their teens drink under supervision have kids that drink responsibly and have no criminal records pertaining to drunk driving, while those not under supervision were much more likely to become alcoholics and drive drunk.

From a quick google search, it seems like a lot of Europeans agree with me on the adult supervision idea.

Do not get my arguement to mean I support unsupervised drinking, public drinking, or even trying to lower the drinking age. I just have too much facts pointing towards my side of the arguement to defect to not letting kids drink under supervision.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/health/May-June-08/Underage-Drinking--European-Parents-May-Know-Best.html  Just one of the many things I can reference online from a quick google search supporting my statement.

One last thing, has much has we can argue about this, we all have our opinions and beliefs, and we will think our beliefs are facts. This arguement is dead end because neither side is going to budge.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:14:27 PM
1) Congrats, but not really relevant were not talking about you were talking about teenagers in general.
2) You will not twist my words, we are talkning about alcohol here not heroin or bank robbing. I applaud your finding statistics to support your oppinion but, although I didnt say it I thought it was given that we were talking about the older portion of teens i.e. at least highschool, and also the stats you found or for kids that use alcohol much more than what anyone could say was responsible for any age group.
I never talked about Heroin or bank robbers.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

123Marine

It is legal in my state for a minor to drink under the supervision of a direct adult family member of legal drinking age (of course with reason).
I dont need you guys arguing on something I am asking for advice on. You all only seem to be trying to send me on a guilt trip.

Despite you opinions, I have concluded I should keep this incident to myself. I don't believe a volunteer organization that my parents pay for have any need to hear about something that in the court of law is kept confidential. I understand it is totally anti-integrity and against CAP beliefs. This decision also comes from the fact that I already planned to leave CAP after the summer. Personally I believe I have gotten all I can out of the organization. I DON'T plan on drinking in the near future, and I DON'T plan on becoming an alcoholic, despite what your probably outdated sources are saying.

Woodsy

Why are you waiting until the end of summer???

thatonekid

Quote from: Littleguy on March 25, 2012, 11:33:29 PM
One last thing, has much has we can argue about this, we all have our opinions and beliefs, and we will think our beliefs are facts. This arguement is dead end because neither side is going to budge.
Amen Brother  ;)
@Eclipse, if you read what I said you will notice that I said that the kids in the study were drinking more than could be responsible for any age group.
@Extremepredjudice, we were talking about drinking specifically not just things that are illegal.
@123 Marine I appoligise for Hijacking your post I was just arguing, again I appoligise. (Thats probly what i would have done anyway)
C/MSgt Collins

123Marine

Quote from: Woodsy on March 25, 2012, 11:44:10 PM
Why are you waiting until the end of summer???

NCSA's etc. I figure it would also be better to start the new school year "fresh".

Woodsy

Ahh, I suspected as much.  You want to get as much as you can before you ditch it. Integrity at it's finest! 

jeders

Quote from: 123Marine on March 25, 2012, 11:42:01 PM
I DON'T plan on becoming an alcoholic, despite what your probably outdated sources are saying.

No one plans on becoming an alcoholic, it just happens. Regardless of what happens to you in the legal system or in CAP, please don't ignore life advice on alcohol just because you don't plan on becoming an alcoholic.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AngelWings

It is legal in my state for a minor to drink under the supervision of a direct adult family member of legal drinking age (of course with reason).
I dont need you guys arguing on something I am asking for advice on. You all only seem to be trying to send me on a guilt trip.

Despite you opinions, I have concluded I should keep this incident to myself. I don't believe a volunteer organization that my parents pay for have any need to hear about something that in the court of law is kept confidential. I understand it is totally anti-integrity and against CAP beliefs. This decision also comes from the fact that I already planned to leave CAP after the summer. Personally I believe I have gotten all I can out of the organization. I DON'T plan on drinking in the near future, and I DON'T plan on becoming an alcoholic, despite what your probably outdated sources are saying.
No one is guilt tripping you. You probably just feel guilty on your own. We're arguing because it is our CAPTalk nature to argue, and really none of it has much to do with you now. It stopped really being about you on page 2-ish.

a2capt

Not Winnable... just grab a bowl and have some fun.

123Marine

Quote from: Woodsy on March 25, 2012, 11:49:48 PM
Ahh, I suspected as much.  You want to get as much as you can before you ditch it. Integrity at it's finest!

I know I'm not the best cadet (evidently) but I think people take CAP way too seriously. It is beginning to grind my gears a bit. I want to live a normal teenage life without the responsibility of CAP hanging over my head. I want my pre-CAP life back I guess

thatonekid

hey guys ...this is all done now, no more.
C/MSgt Collins

abdsp51

Two entirely separate cultures between the US and Europe especially when it comes to drinking.  Here in the the US it is illegal for anyone under age to purchase, consume or posses alcohol.  In Europe the thought process varies by country and even then depending on the provence or state you are in.  There have been many verdicts handed down and upheld in appellate courts for parents who allowed their children to drink in their home.

Does underage drinking occur yes it does but it can be curtailed through active supervision to negate the drinking and discipline by parents/guardians when it has occurred.

Extremepredjudice

QuoteWe're arguing because it is our CAPTalk nature to argue, and really none of it has much to do with you now
YES

I, personally, wasn't sending you on a guilt trip. Sorry for the hijack! I'm sorry you feel that way, and I DO hope you stay in CAP. We all make mistakes, and it is important to learn from them. Have fun at NCSAs! Which one(s) are you attending?

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:45:05 PM
Amen Brother  ;)
@Eclipse, if you read what I said you will notice that I said that the kids in the study were drinking more than could be responsible for any age group.
@Extremepredjudice, we were talking about drinking specifically not just things that are illegal.
@123 Marine I appoligise for Hijacking your post I was just arguing, again I appoligise. (Thats probly what i would have done anyway)
This ain't twitter, bro.

I was talking about drinking?

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:53:57 PM
hey guys ...this is all done now, no more.
Never tell CT when to stop.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

123Marine

@Extremeprejudice (I know I did the twitter thing) but i'd rather not say (the whole anonymous thing). And i dont feel guilt tripped, thats my parents job LOL

thatonekid

Clearly, neither am I, and I agree with you I feel like sometimes people forget that this isnt the real military, people have other things that are more important like school and work and developing as an individual.
I think we need to stop arguing the drinking thing because otherwise you obviosly arn't sorry.
How else was I supposed to direct my comments to specific people?
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:45:05 PM
Amen Brother  ;)

This isn't Twitter.

As to the OP, clearly we failed to impress the meaning behind what "his parent paid for".  The person most likely to give you the most grief on this is the guy n the mirror.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

I am a Flight Sgt., Wing level CAC primary, Supply Sgt., CERT qualified, attend most meetings, activities, etc., and I still have a HUGE social life and when I get bad grades in school, it is because I am slacking and spending my time on CAPTalk (like right now  ;))

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: thatonekid on March 26, 2012, 12:00:31 AM
real military
We have RM to remind us. We remember.
Quotepeople have other things that are more important like school and work and developing as an individual.
We all have this. It isn't just you. I am taking 5 college courses. Computer programming, comp 2, calculus, american history, and computer networking. I have 2 papers due for this next week (1500 word and 2500 word), 4 projects (posted last night  ::) hate lazy professors) and 2 tests. plus homework. All for one week.

QuoteHow else was I supposed to direct my comments to specific people?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor