Minor in possession of alcohol

Started by 123Marine, March 25, 2012, 03:16:19 PM

thatonekid

I'm not trying to be rude but, teenagers will drink there is nothing you can do or say that will change that. Thats just the way it is.
C/MSgt Collins

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:00:33 PM
I'm not trying to be rude but, teenagers will drink there is nothing you can do or say that will change that. Thats just the way it is.
I'm a teenager, I've never had alcohol. (That I know of)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

thatonekid

As am I, however not all teenagers are good at following the rules.
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

The majority of adolescents, especially our cadets, make wiser decisions. 

The use of drugs and alcohol, is not an inevitable part of growing up.  It is a serious mistake made by a relatively small, but unfortunately highly visible
percentage of young people.  One of the CP's missions is to help inform and educate our cadets to help them make good decisions and ignore peer pressure.

Having involved parents and a strong family structure is another major factor.  The example Mom & Dad set is a huge part of the decisions made by children.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 25, 2012, 10:08:48 PM

The majority of adolescents, especially out cadets, make wiser decisions. 

The use of drugs and alcohol, is not an inevitable part of growing up.  It is a serious mistake made by a relatively small, but unfortunately highly visible
percentage of young people.  One of the CP's missions is to help inform and educate our cadets to help them make good decisions and ignore peer pressure.

Having involved parents and a strong family structure is another major factor.  The example Mom & Dad set is a huge part of the decisions made by children.
this.

It isn't idealistic.

Again, don't give advice on how to avoid the police when doing illegal activities.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 25, 2012, 09:55:36 PM
Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 09:52:46 PM
^He has a point, do what you will about CAP but dont drink in public that was not an intelligent thing to do.

Giving advise on how not to get caught while doing an illegal activity isn't the smartest thing to do, either.
It's not advice on how to do something illegal, I'm giving advice on using basic common sense. Common sense is saying to me that atleast if you are going to use a substance you are not supposed to, do it where people will not be able to see you doing it, like in your house. I believe some alcohol in moderation is acceptable at a young age and takes the kick off to get smashed when you turn 21, and there after. Kind of like a flu shot, it most likely will work, but that doesn't mean it always will. That's just my opinion, said using my freedom of speech that people have paid their lives for all of us to use. Off topic, though.

A big problem with teenage drinking is who you're with when you do it. Drinking under supervision of your parents usually means you'll not be drinking more than you should. Drinking with friends hyped up to party and "enjoy" themselves leads to alcoholism, public intoxication, or DUI, mainly because of peer pressure making you want to be the "life of the party."

EP, nobody is giving advice to avoid the police. And for a lot of cadets, their parents make the police look like the peace corps when it comes towards alcohol. Nobody has said anything about trying to clear your system before a drug test, how to hide alcohol in plain sight, or anything of that nature. Look at it in the sense that it made no sense to be drinking in public, which for something already "illegal", adds more trouble to the mix and is just plain stupid.

thatonekid

I agree with some of that, it wasn't advice it was a simple statement of fact, any advice you read into it is puerly your own reading, how ever I would add that he should make a better decision next time, weather that is drinking in his house or not at all is up to him.
C/MSgt Collins

AngelWings

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
I agree with some of that it wasn't advice it was a simple statement of fact, any advice you read into it is purly your own reading, how ever i would ad that he should make a better decision next time, weather that is drinking in his house or not at all is up to him.
+1. I should've said that.

Drink responsibly, and at your own risk.

thatonekid

I personaly think that its better to learn how to drink responsibly when you are in your teens, with the help of your parents, than to try and figure it out on your own in college.
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:40:01 PM
I personaly think that its better to learn how to drink responsibly when you are in your teens, with the help of your parents, than to try and figure it out on your own in college.

Or, you know.  Just not drink until you're an adult.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

I would prefer to not have a bunch of drunken buffoons running around while im trying to sleep or study or some perform some other important task.
C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

How ever this is simply my opinion and that is yours and reprising the usual arguments is likely to get us nowhere but irritated.
C/MSgt Collins

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:40:01 PM
I am in college. Still haven't had alcohol or drugs.

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:30:12 PM
I agree with some of that, it wasn't advice it was a simple statement of fact, any advice you read into it is puerly purely your own reading, how ever I would add that he should make a better decision next time, weather whether that is drinking in his house or not at all is up to him.

FTFY

SO you say he could do something illegal, just under the supervision of an adult?
http://staugustine.firstcoastnews.com/news/news/68342-verdict-party-mom-upheld-appellate-level

Kids that start drinking under the age of 15 are 4 times more likely to have alcohol dependence.

QuoteBrain Effects—Scientists currently are examining just how alcohol affects the developing brain, but it's a difficult task. Subtle changes in the brain may be difficult to detect but still have a significant impact on long-term thinking and memory skills. Add to this the fact that adolescent brains are still maturing, and the study of alcohol's effects becomes even more complex. Research has shown that animals fed alcohol during this critical developmental stage continue to show long-lasting impairment from alcohol as they age (47). It's simply not known how alcohol will affect the long-term memory and learning skills of people who began drinking heavily as adolescents.

Liver Effects—Elevated liver enzymes, indicating some degree of liver damage, have been found in some adolescents who drink alcohol (48). Young drinkers who are overweight or obese showed elevated liver enzymes even with only moderate levels of drinking (49).

Growth and Endocrine Effects—In both males and females, puberty is a period associated with marked hormonal changes, including increases in the sex hormones, estrogen and testosterone. These hormones, in turn, increase production of other hormones and growth factors (50), which are vital for normal organ development. Drinking alcohol during this period of rapid growth and development (i.e., prior to or during puberty) may upset the critical hormonal balance necessary for normal development of organs, muscles, and bones. Studies in animals also show that consuming alcohol during puberty adversely affects the maturation of the reproductive system (51).

QuoteOne-third of middle school students get their alcohol from their own parents or from a friend's parents or guardians, the study found.
The research was conducted in 58 Chicago-area public schools with surveys of 3,709 students. The surveys were given and the beginning and the end of each year for sixth, seventh and eighth grade students.

Quote"Early onset of drinking leads to a long list of alcohol-related problems. It is important to educate parents about the consequences of alcohol use at a young age and try to prevent them from being their child's primary source of alcohol." comments the lead author Mary O Hearst

This is no joke, alcohol is bad. Research has shown that many parents give their kids alcohol. Underage drinking increases mental and physical health risks.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

thatonekid

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:58:10 PM
How ever this is simply my opinion and that is yours and reprising the usual arguments is likely to get us nowhere but irritated.
C/MSgt Collins

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 10:58:10 PM
I have sources. You have opinion statements.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

thatonekid

1) Congrats, but not really relevant were not talking about you were talking about teenagers in general.
2) You will not twist my words, we are talkning about alcohol here not heroin or bank robbing. I applaud your finding statistics to support your oppinion but, although I didnt say it I thought it was given that we were talking about the older portion of teens i.e. at least highschool, and also the stats you found or for kids that use alcohol much more than what anyone could say was responsible for any age group.
C/MSgt Collins

thatonekid

Make sure your stats are relevant next time.
C/MSgt Collins

Eclipse

Quote from: thatonekid on March 25, 2012, 11:14:27 PMthe stats you found or for kids that use alcohol much more than what anyone could say was responsible for any age group.

There is no way for anyone under 21 to "use alcohol responsibly", this isn't France.

"That Others May Zoom"

thatonekid

Thats not really what I was saying but im not going to argue that.
C/MSgt Collins