Its not just CAP who gets the fakers...

Started by NIN, December 28, 2011, 06:45:48 PM

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Abby.L

Grr... These kinds of people annoy me. There's a few people that I know who do something like that, but not to that extent. Thank god for that...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

So...

If nothing else, why would someone who retired 20+ years earlier be wearing a current uniform(s)?

Does the USAC get credit for busting him?  I'm assuming he was never a member, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2011, 08:04:41 PM
So...

If nothing else, why would someone who retired 20+ years earlier be wearing a current uniform(s)?

Does the USAC get credit for busting him?  I'm assuming he was never a member, right?

USAC wasn't seeking "credit" per se.  Colonel Land's son, 2LT Land, has a google search that pops up mentions of the USAC when they show up in the Google results.   The USAC got a mention regarding this gentleman and him bringing a cadet unit to New Rochelle.  He'd only ever contacted us (some months back) and went no further, and something wasn't quite right about him.   When this all started to percolate, we were still only a "mention," but there is no way Colonel Land wanted the USAC's name associated with this, so he called the paper to let them know "Hey, look, this guy is not, nor has ever been, one of us, and does not represent us." to set the record straight and to be sure that any mention of the USAC in relation to this guy was not in the "He's a cadet general, yeahhhhh.." variety.

ETA: retirees can wear the "current uniform." But you actually have to _be_ a retiree, not a guy who was a Private for a year in 1976.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 28, 2011, 08:19:05 PMETA: retirees can wear the "current uniform." But you actually have to _be_ a retiree, not a guy who was a Private for a year in 1976.

Can, yes.  But how many are going to go out and buy the whole nine yards, especially a combat version?

Is it common to see long-time retirees in current uniforms?  If anything I'd think they'd want to wear the one they retired in.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2011, 08:22:28 PM
Quote from: NIN on December 28, 2011, 08:19:05 PMETA: retirees can wear the "current uniform." But you actually have to _be_ a retiree, not a guy who was a Private for a year in 1976.

Can, yes.  But how many are going to go out and buy the whole nine yards, especially a combat version?

Is it common to see long-time retirees in current uniforms?  If anything I'd think they'd want to wear the one they retired in.
Last Veterans day...I saw a lot of very old guys wearing the current uniform...both service dress and battle dress.
And a lot of guys just wearing what ever they wanted.

So......yes it happens.  There are just as many old farts out there wanting to relive their glory days as there are wanna bees....the difference is the first group earned the right....and the others need to be beaten with a cane 50 times.   >:(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2011, 08:22:28 PM

Can't forget the "Shrinking Uniform Syndrome"  ;)

Bobble

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/psc/documents/PostedJointServicesPRO.pdf

He (Mr. Marrero) deliberately fooled (or attempted to fool) a lot a people, however he may end up in court as a defendant due to the document above.  Even though the Feds are apparently not all that interested in charging him under the SVA, NYS Penal Law states:

"S 175.35 Offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree.

A person is guilty of offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree when, knowing that a written instrument contains a false statement or false information, and with intent to defraud the state or any political subdivision, public authority or public benefit corporation of the state, he offers or presents it to a public office, public servant, public authority or public benefit corporation with the knowledge or belief that it will be filed with, registered or recorded in or otherwise become a part of the records of such public office, public servant, public authority or public benefit corporation.

Offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree is a class E felony."

If anything, I think this serves as an excellent cautionary tale.    "Доверяй, но проверяй"  ("Trust, but verify")
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Bobble

R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

spacecommand

Just curious from the title, how many faker's does CAP get?  Not many wanting to go around faking being "Civil Air Patrol" (though maybe some maybe do exist).  Or how many fakers have tried to join CAP?

A cursory glance of these websites that are exposing these fakers, from "fake marine" to "fake generals" the vast majority of the fakers out there tend to want to fake being in the Army or Marines (there are Navy fakers, CG fakers and AF fakers as well), but the Army and Marines tend to get the most.

This guy tops my list of being super obviously fake (AF Faker):
http://thisainthell.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/photo-2.jpg

lordmonar

I know that in my 8 years with CAP I have run into at least two people who have faked their military service and their CAP service to be able to wear extra rank.

We had a guy in our wing who claimed to be a medically retired Army Col.  Former commander of a major Army Recruiting unit.  He bamboozeld TNWG into giving him LT Col and used that as his basis for rank when he transfered here to NVWG.

When asked to provide a DD215 he decided that CAP was not for him.
He had a DD2A (brown dependant's ID) that said he was medicaly retired or some such as that.
We notifed the local OSI office and made sure that his CAP membership was terminated.

Turns out he was only like a E-3 or something like that...but he was a BGen in the U.S. Army Volunteer Reserves or something like that.

Second guy I did not get the details...but when he was asked for his DD215 he decided CAP was not for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Volunteer_Reserve_Association
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Major Lord

The U.S. Army Cadet Corp mailed a part of a member's personnel (DD-214)  file to the media? He will probably sue them......We had a fake Army Colonel for awhile. When the FBI contacted me, they said that they had one "fake" Colonel ( Wing Commander) calling another fake "Colonel" ( crazy person) a fake.......They did not take it very seriously, and the matter was dropped.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

If the 'privileged' information is blacked out, there nothing wrong with disclosure. There are many DD-214 copies on the net in the poser exposure sites, and they have all been properly sanitized.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Army regulation 670-1 allows for honorably discharged veterans with wartime service as defined in current law (need not be declared, if you can join the American Legion then you meet the reg) to wear the current Dress uniform at appropriate patriotic and holiday celebrations with the highest rank held displayed along with all awards and decorations.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

And my favourite, a faker from Down Under, posing as an RAAF Wing Commander:

He was actually a Wing Commander in the Australian Air Force Cadets, kind of like a CAP senior member.

I guess he put on all those mini-US medals rather than using Aussie/Commonwealth ones because he thought they wouldn't be as recognisable...even though many Australians and New Zealanders who served in Vietnam did get some US hardware, like the Air Medal.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: cap235629 on December 28, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
(need not be declared, if you can join the American Legion then you meet the reg)

If it WERE required to be declared...wasn't our last declared war WWII?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: CyBorg on December 28, 2011, 11:30:56 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on December 28, 2011, 11:27:47 PM
(need not be declared, if you can join the American Legion then you meet the reg)

If it WERE required to be declared...wasn't our last declared war WWII?

yes
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Private Investigator

Quote from: lordmonar on December 28, 2011, 10:25:48 PM

We had a guy in our wing who claimed to be a medically retired Army Col.  Former commander of a major Army Recruiting unit.  He bamboozeld TNWG into giving him LT Col and used that as his basis for rank when he transfered here to NVWG.

ROFL   :o