Quality of New CAP Membership Card

Started by JC004, August 29, 2011, 02:19:56 PM

EMT-83

Sounds like my church's mission statement. It went from 10 words with a clear meaning, then 19 words to "clarify" those words, and is now 32 words that don't mean a darn thing. They just couldn't leave well enough alone.

JC004

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 26, 2011, 07:35:31 PM
Sounds like my church's mission statement. It went from 10 words with a clear meaning, then 19 words to "clarify" those words, and is now 32 words that don't mean a darn thing. They just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Don't feel bad.  That's a common struggle we have in the non-profit sector. 

The whole branding thing is maddening.  I still cannot wrap my head around why those responsible can't see how it compares to organizations that are serious about branding and marketing.  It should be that they end up thinking: "Hmm...these 'style guide' things - everyone has one but us.  Maybe we should too.  I should look it up on the Google and see why we'd want something like this."

Has the really thin plastic been replaced or is it still the crap thinner plastic?

RiverAux

I'm happy with the new card.  Already have so many CAP cards that they have to be carried in their own little CAP wallet so a thinner card is fine by me. 

A little concerned about the statement a while back about three different card styles being in use.  Hopefully we'll pick a style and stick with it long enough for everyone to be the same. 

And way to communicate our "mission" to the troops....find out about it on your new id.  However, being more specific than "missions for America" is good.  Not entirely sure what "aviation and ground services" we provide.  Sounds like we pump gas at the FBO. 

SAR-EMT1

Can someone tell me why we need a " feel good "mission statement on the back in the first place ?

1) The statement MIGHT be good for recruiting.
2) Any recruiting I do will NOT involve me displaying how crappy the ID card is.

2.5) Why do we have " Senior Member " on our ID cards if our rank and picture are both displayed ?

3) What changed 10 (or so) years ago that necessitated doing away with the old language  " Please help the bearer of this card reach his duty station etcetera etcetera... "

I don't need the card to look like a CAC but still, I DID get a " paper" cut taking the new ID out of it's envelope the other week.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

a2capt

Because the card needs to pass the low light condition of being confused for anything that might resemble an ID card, that could be construed to actually be anything official. Helping someone get to their duty station in a time of need would make it sound like it's..

I just hope the US Air Force Auxiliary doesn't go off there like everything else seems to have. I can see why they took of the Charter Number, OTOH.. I can't see why they did it. Since the card is no good for longer than a year, at least it would be nice to have some visual indicator of what area someone might be from, when the card is presented for CAP uses.

Oh well. Could be worse. It could have a random string of garbage on it someplace because they got the management from system from the lowest bidder and they say that it's necessary.

SarDragon

Anyone who has eServices access can type in the first five digits of the CAPID in Member Search, and find out what unit someone is in.

If you do all six, and the person isn't in your unit, it will gag. Using only the first five will give you a list of the current members with that combination of digits in their CAPID.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

exFlight Officer

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 02, 2011, 11:38:00 PM
Can someone tell me why we need a " feel good "mission statement on the back in the first place ?

2) Any recruiting I do will NOT involve me displaying how crappy the ID card is.

2.5) Why do we have " Senior Member " on our ID cards if our rank and picture are both displayed ?

3) What changed 10 (or so) years ago that necessitated doing away with the old language  " Please help the bearer of this card reach his duty station etcetera etcetera... "

I don't need the card to look like a CAC but still, I DID get a " paper" cut taking the new ID out of it's envelope the other week.

+ 1

arajca

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 02, 2011, 11:38:00 PM

1. Every organization has some sort of mission statement. These are typical vaque "feel good" statements.
2. Any recruiting I do does involve the ID card UNLESS I am required to display an organizational ID at an event.
2.5. Membership category. Senior Member/Cadet/Patron/Sponsor
3. Aux on/Aux off.

Did you file the appropriate paperwork or inconvience the correct electrons?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: SarDragon on November 03, 2011, 06:43:54 AM
Anyone who has eServices access can type in the first five digits of the CAPID in Member Search, and find out what unit someone is in.

If you do all six, and the person isn't in your unit, it will gag. Using only the first five will give you a list of the current members with that combination of digits in their CAPID.

That is a great tip.  :clap: :clap:

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2011, 01:36:06 PM
2. Any recruiting I do does involve the ID card UNLESS I am required to display an organizational ID at an event.

What are you doing with an ID card at a recruiting event?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2011, 02:37:18 PM
Quote from: arajca on November 03, 2011, 01:36:06 PM

What are you doing with an ID card at a recruiting event?
a. Anytime I'm in uniform, I have it with me.
b. Occasionally, at a back-to-school night or similar function, the organizers want the 'vendors' to have an organizational ID visible.

Eclipse

^ Fair enough, but you're not showing the back to anyone...

FWIW, I renewed my base decals the other day, slid my new-style ID card under the window with all the other docs, and
the only response I got was updated numbers and "have a nice day".  We're probably more sensitive to this than
anyone outside will ever be.

In fact, I can't think of a single time in recent memory anyone has ever handled my ID card to know it is thinner than
"other" - I show it and put it away in a big pack of other mission cards in an arm-band holster.  When I ride my bike
on base it's in a vest holder that comes off quick with velcro and slaps back on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Since my ID card lives in an ID holder next to my 101 I really don't care all that much how thick the plastic is. The only time it ever comes out is when a gate guard gets anal (Great Lakes NTC made me take it out last time I was there, but the ANG base the local squadron meets on never even bothers).

Hardshell Clam

I always keep my CAP stuff in a special wallet that I carry only whilst on CAP "duties", just like I only carry my LEO creds in a separate case.

I rarely wear a uniform as I find it off putting as I do my job.

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2011, 03:17:18 PM
In fact, I can't think of a single time in recent memory anyone has ever handled my ID card to know it is thinner than
"other" - I show it and put it away in a big pack of other mission cards in an arm-band holster.  When I ride my bike
on base it's in a vest holder that comes off quick with velcro and slaps back on.

Do you go on to a Military facility where they do not actually handle your ID card?  Gate Security is supposed to not only handle but inspect both sides of whatever kind if ID is presented.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on November 04, 2011, 02:48:56 AM

Do you go on to a Military facility where they do not actually handle your ID card?  Gate Security is supposed to not only handle but inspect both sides of whatever kind if ID is presented.

PM Sent.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: SARDOC on November 04, 2011, 02:48:56 AM

I do exactly that on several installations here. One place doesn't even ask for ID much of the time. They accept my base sticker and wave me through.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etc

I'm going to be honest... I skipped most of the posts in this thread and just wanted to give my opinion.

I'm medically dqed from joining the armed forces due to a knee injury but thankfully it doesn't impact any of my CAP functions. Do I wish the membership card was more like the CAC? Definitely

But, I take extreme pride that it still says "United States Air Force Auxiliary"

Flimsy as it might be...I'm just happy to do what I can to serve.

Walkman

Quote from: etc on November 18, 2011, 08:28:15 AM

I'm medically dqed from joining the armed forces due to a knee injury but thankfully it doesn't impact any of my CAP functions. Do I wish the membership card was more like the CAC? Definitely

But, I take extreme pride that it still says "United States Air Force Auxiliary"

Flimsy as it might be...I'm just happy to do what I can to serve.

Ditto.

jimmydeanno

I don't see the correlation between being medically DQ'd from serving and the design of the membership card.  In every instance the reasoning I come up with is something not very nice, so I won't share it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill