Quality of New CAP Membership Card

Started by JC004, August 29, 2011, 02:19:56 PM

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 07:58:57 PM
Got my replacement, now it has a photo.  Color and accuracy is better than the old one, the photo has just a hair of pixelation, more so than before, but acceptable, and the scaling is a little wider than tall (only noticeable if you hold them side-by-side).

Thinner than before, but no real issue in my ID holder, etc.  To JC004, if you tried you could certainly put a crease in it from mailing, but mine
was fine.

It's no smartcard, but it does the job.

My post office doesn't have to TRY to destroy anything.  It's a normal part of their work.  You should see what they did to a box I mailed myself from Yosemite (which also took almost a month to arrive Priority Mail).

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 23, 2011, 10:30:01 PM
My Super Cuts "frequent buyer card" is just a business card that they stamp.  I pull that out of my wallet far more than I do my CAPID.  It seems to last a year without any issues.

I think I've pulled my CAP ID card out an average of twice a year in 23 years. 

Remember the old "optional" photo IDs from years back?  Blue things that you had to type on and glue a passport photo to, then laminate it.  That thing practically looked official, moreso than any other ID at the time, or even today.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Good old Form 19! 

It looked fairly close to the military ID's of the era.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Stonewall on October 12, 2011, 07:04:30 PM
I think I've pulled my CAP ID card out an average of twice a year in 23 years. 

Not quite the same time frame but the average sounds right. Until Wing HQ moved "behind the wire" at an ANG base. 

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2011, 07:21:21 PM
Good old Form 19! 

It looked fairly close to the military ID's of the era.

Got curious, got home and found it.  Signed by former DCWG CC Costello Robinson...

Notice the stupid high n' tight haircut and the fact that I'm wearing my Army Class B uniform with black jacket.  I think the picture came from when I got my Army ID card made and they gave me the extra pictures.

Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Well, since we're going for olde goofy pix:

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PhoenixRisen

I just got my new one in the mail.  It looks pretty darn decent, compared to the stack of old ones I've got.  I'm curious though as to why there's a white box surounding the barcode...  Can't that be printed in the same manner as everything else on the card?

Eclipse

Actually, bar codes tend to be pretty persnickety about white (or at least high-contrast) backgrounds

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Funny thing is the CAPF19 was not the Membership card, but a picture ID card that was NOT VALID WITHOUT CURRENT MEMBERSHIP CARD ha.

Took quite a while to combine the picture ID with the membership card itself in the current form, though cadets are not required to have photos (?) boggles the mind.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: whatevah on August 31, 2011, 04:29:29 AM
I wonder what would happen... if somebody started a service providing "fake" CAP ID cards to members... on the normal plastic credit cards, with a better layout.  lol

18 USC § 701. Official badges, identification cards, other insignia

Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge, identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 02:11:31 AM
I wonder what would happen... if somebody started a service providing "fake" CAP ID cards to members... on the normal plastic credit cards, with a better layout.  lol

Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge, identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Not all statutes are enforced.  >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Hardshell Clam

Eclipse:"Not all statutes are enforced."

Nothing like an inane response... What, no NCO dig?

johnnyb47

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 03:04:39 AM

Giving eclipse credit for someone else' post? :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PHall

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 25, 2011, 02:16:55 AM

You wanna be the one who tests that theory with your freedom? >:D

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: PHall on October 25, 2011, 03:08:55 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 25, 2011, 02:16:55 AM

You wanna be the one who tests that theory with your freedom? >:D
lol, Adultery is a crime in most states.  ???
Ask the Obama administration if all laws are enforced. >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SARDOC

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 25, 2011, 03:38:30 AM

Ask the Obama administration if all laws are enforced. >:D

Or any Administration for that matter.

SarDragon

Quote from: john_Bowers on October 25, 2011, 03:08:35 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 03:04:39 AM

Giving eclipse credit for someone else' post? :)

Well, he got the initial 'E' right.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hardshell Clam

My bad, sorry Eclipse!

But... Only a real plunker would make a phony ID card if they wanted to stay in the CAP. At the least, you would get booted I suspect if you were caught. And, if you use the phony ID card even more laws and regs violated.

Smokey

Just got my new cards.....ordered extra ones too.  And if they got any thinner I could get a severe paper cut taking it out of my wallet.  I also noticed that one of them is a different color than the other.  Two are a greenish color and the other is more of a blue. 

Also...When did we change the "Mission Statement"?  The card that expires next month reads..."Civil Air Patrol, America's Air Force Auxiliary, bulding the Nation's finest force of citizen volunteers...Performing missions for America."

The new card reads..."Supporting America's communities with emergency response, diverse aviation and ground services, youth development, and promotion of air,space and cyber power."
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

a2capt

The "Mission Statement" change is like TTT. They can't stick with something consistant, and prefer dilution over a solid footing. Too bad. I wish they'd put a moratorium on these changes, too. Just leave it alone until a proper style guide and corporate decided Mission Statement is agreed on.

Air Force Auxiliary - or Not.