Who has the best encampment?

Started by GoofyOne, July 09, 2008, 01:18:40 AM

GoofyOne

Just looking for opinions about the best encampments based on quality, price, facility,program, cadets and leadership.

CadetProgramGuy

I've always been partial to the NCR Encampments held in Iowa.

100 for cadets, stay in battalion barracks (air conditioned, all in one housing w/ chow hall)

MIKE

CAWG gets cadets on the M-16 range IIRC.

Speaking for MAWG, we had better digs at the 102nd FW Barracks in '99 and '00.  The other billeting on MMR is not so nice.  Probably still the cheapest vacation package for a week on the Cape.

Highlights included M-113, UH-60, UH-1 and C-130 O-rides, rappelling, LRC and PAVE PAWS, 102nd FW and AIRSTA Cape Cod tours.

And Seafood Sam's across from STA Cape Cod Canal.  :)

Not sure what it will be like at Devens RFTA this year... being wartime and not on MMR, but I've been there for ILS and the billeting on post ain't bad... compares to the 102nds digs.  I think I was in SNCO quarters though.  DFAC and classroom all within walking distance.

RIWG does their encampment in April, if you don't like to swim in your BDUs in August.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^ Devens is not bad at all. 

I am partial to Encampments held on AD AF Bases.  Then second to AD Army Posts, followed by Naval facilities.  Not that it matters, but if the intent of a portion of the Encampment is to introduce Cadets to the military, the AF is the best branch to do it with (since we are AF AUX and all that stuff).

I have to say though, out of all the Posts and Bases I have been to in CAP and the military, My Favorites are in order based on actual facilities and training ops;

1) Fort Lewis Washington (with an AF base across the street)
2) Fort Knox Kentucky (awesome O-club and tanks driving everywhere)
3) McGuire AFB NJ (with DIX next door)
4) The Presidio CA (when it was open of course)
5) Fort Benning GA
6) Lackland AFB Texas
7) Maxwell AFB Alabama (of course!)
8) Fort Leonard Wood MO
9) West Point NY
10) Air Force Academy CO

Smileys - MIKE
What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

Not to start a whole big confrontation here but I have heard lots of good things about the CO wing encampment held at the USAFA.  I've heard of lots of different things being done there so it is never the same thing twice in a row.  I've also heard that they do a lot of O-rides during that encampment.  I've never been.  The only one I've been to was at Ft. Belvoir, VA back in 1991.

356cadet

If the COWG is held at USAFA again next summer (2009), I am hoping to go thereas staff. If not... I'm stuck here. To me the USAFA is the BEST facility to have an Encampment, especially getting those who want to go to the USAFA for college so they can get a feel for their doolie year, haha! ;D

SAR-EMT1

Two things Mikey:
1) Did the Presido close? -- was it braac'd or something?
2) You rank Ft. Lost in the Woods, before West Point? ! ... I think I love you man.
;D

--
On Topic:

Best Enc: Johnson Flight Academy- ILWG
Balloons,Gliders, 172
Clean Logbook to Solo Certificate in 8 days
flight instruction, chow, and quarters all for $800
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

^ The Presidio  did close due to BRAC.  It was one of the more "beautiful" posts.  It does have a small enclave remaining though.  Most of it is now a National Park. 

As for Leonard Wood, the training opportunities are better there than at West Point.  Most Basic Training Posts are better geared toward holding Encampments than schools or universities.

What's up monkeys?

TEAM SURGE

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 09, 2008, 04:14:46 AM
^ Devens is not bad at all. 

I am partial to Encampments held on AD AF Bases.  Then second to AD Army Posts, followed by Naval facilities.  Not that it matters, but if the intent of a portion of the Encampment is to introduce Cadets to the military, the AF is the best branch to do it with (since we are AF AUX and all that stuff).

I have to say though, out of all the Posts and Bases I have been to in CAP and the military, My Favorites are in order based on actual facilities and training ops;

1) Fort Lewis Washington (with an AF base across the street)
2) Fort Knox Kentucky (awesome O-club and tanks driving everywhere)
3) McGuire AFB NJ (with DIX next door)
4) The Presidio CA (when it was open of course)
5) Fort Benning GA
6) Lackland AFB Texas
7) Maxwell AFB Alabama (of course!)
8) Fort Leonard Wood MO
9) West Point NY
10) Air Force Academy CO

Smileys - MIKE

Mchord Air Force Base Washington, right across the street! From Fort Lewis, Washington Wing Encampment is the best I have gone to soo far!

1)Confidence course
2)Real military barracks
3)C-17 O-Rides at Mchord Air Force Base
4)Very well staff picks,including Senior Members
5)PT is challenging! or was challenging (LOVE IT)
6)The banquet is awesome at the end!

Altogether it's an amazing encampment!
C/Msgt. Messman
PCR OR-114
Northwest Coastal Flight

-Eagle Talon 3
-Cascade Falcon X

"You only Live Once"  

Ned

Out of curiosity, how many of us have actually attended more than one wing's encampment?

My WAG is that comparatively few CAPers have.  And if that's true it's going to be hard for us to come up with meaningful comparisions.

Sure,  we can exchange information on things like which encampments regularly have o-flights or go to the firing range.  That's fun to learn about

But it is touger to compare things like which encampments are "tougher," "more challenging," or have a staff that "is better trained." Etc.

I'll start:  I have been to something like 30 CAWG encampments in every position from basic cadet through encampment commander.  I have spent a day and a half at a WAWG encampment (and gave APC "orientation rides") at Ft Lewis.  And I have visited a NVWG encampment for several days.  I commanded a PCR encampment a long, long time ago. 

As a former region DCP, I also have  good working knowledge of the look and feel of the HIWG and AKWG encampments based on a lot of conversations and extensive video and photographs.  But I did not actually go to either wing's encampment.

How about you?

SarDragon

I attended an NJWG encampment as a basic when Gen Curry was still alive, a MEWG encampment as a TAC, an Overseas encampment (very small) as a TAC, and will be attending the last half of GLR-N/MIWG encampment next week in a support role.

The first three were all different, due to:
Size
Available resources

Was there a best? Still trying to figure that out. Each had its pros and cons. I'll let you know in a few years after I've attended a few more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret