Main Menu

MAWG Encampment

Started by Taber4, June 15, 2008, 11:31:51 PM

Taber4

www.190cts.org

So this year is looking good.  I already have the 192nd First Sergeant position.  The staff have all been selected and we are waiting for the people on top to give out the orders for cadets to sign up.  It should be soon.  I would guess the cost would be somewhere from 100-200 dollars which is a good price for where we are staying (Ft. Devens).  Check out the website if you are interested or send me a message and I will certainly help you out.
Wes Clark
C/CMSgt
MA-071: Pilgrim Squadron, Plymouth MA
Squadron First Sergeant
Alpha Color Guard Commander

afgeo4

I'm looking at the Encampment website and seeing a group "Command Master Chief".

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

We have Command Chief Master Sergeants.
GEORGE LURYE

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 16, 2008, 12:42:25 AM
I'm looking at the Encampment website and seeing a group "Command Master Chief".

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

Speak for yourself  :P

-PO2 Rudin, USNR
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

PHall

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

Actually, CAP doesn't have either one. The Air Force might have Command Chiefs, but they're not authorized in any CAP reg or manual.

MIKE

Neither are Sergeant Majors:P
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Quote from: PHall on June 16, 2008, 01:28:41 AM

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

Actually, CAP doesn't have either one. The Air Force might have Command Chiefs, but they're not authorized in any CAP reg or manual.

You're right. However, they should for events like encampments.
GEORGE LURYE

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 16, 2008, 02:03:11 AM

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

You're right. However, they should for events like encampments.

I'm not saying I have seen this done before, nor will I say that I have seen cadets go buy Command Chief AF Insignia drill holes in them and mount the cadet insignia on them 90's style  :angel:

But I will post a picture....  >:D

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

^ awwww......that so cute!
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

WE AREN'T IN THE NAVY!

So?

Just because it is not in any regulation does not mean you may not need that particular position filled.

If you want to use the proper USAF terminology...it would be a Group Superintendant....the Command Chief would be Wing Level and above.

But what's in a name?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

adamblank

What happened to Mass military reservation?  That place is the best for tours, camp etc.
Adam Brandao

Quote from: adamblank on June 16, 2008, 11:33:46 AM
What happened to Mass military reservation?  That place is the best for tours, camp etc.

With the Region Cadet Leadership School it was  tight squeeze for the facility.  But most of the activities that are done at MMR can also be done at Ft. Devens.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

MIKE

It's not a Fort anymore... It's a Reserve Forces Training Area (RFTA).
Mike Johnston

I know it's just force of habit.  You grow up calling it one thing and it's hard to change.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Taber4

Command Master Chief is for some reason a way to say that so and so is the group first sergeant.  I would like that to change but I doubt it will.

We sometimes have the encampment at Otis which seems to work the best but this year the Sea Cadets get it.  And there is something going on there that week so we aren't going there.

Anyway, out of all these posts, who's going???  Anybody?
Wes Clark
C/CMSgt
MA-071: Pilgrim Squadron, Plymouth MA
Squadron First Sergeant
Alpha Color Guard Commander

mikeylikey

Quote from: Taber4 on June 16, 2008, 04:56:57 PM
We sometimes have the encampment at Otis which seems to work the best but this year the Sea Cadets get it.  And there is something going on there that week so we aren't going there.

Man.....priority for CAP should be before Sea Cadets on an AF installation. 

Thats why, I hate to see Encampment Planning in many Wings start in January, when it should be a year long process. 

What's up monkeys?

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 16, 2008, 05:06:38 PM

Man.....priority for CAP should be before Sea Cadets on an AF installation. 

Thats why, I hate to see Encampment Planning in many Wings start in January, when it should be a year long process. 

Well the Cadet is incorect in how he's presenting what he's saying.  Encampment here in MAWG is usually held at the Mass Military Reservation.  Otis is a part of it the reservation.  However we haven't stayed at Otis.  We stay at Camp Edwards an Army Portion of the facility. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mikeylikey

^ That makes sense now!
What's up monkeys?

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 16, 2008, 05:41:07 PM
^ That makes sense now!

The Otis end of the base was difficult to get onto following 9/11.  I actually heard a story about a mission out there one of the Ground Team Members works on Otis itself during the day but for the mission because they were there as CAP wasn't allowed onto that end of the facility. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SSgt Rudin

Command Master Chief is for some reason a way to say that so and so is the group first sergeant.  I would like that to change but I doubt it will.

But... it's not. As previously stated Master Chief is not a Air Force or CAP Grade. The appropriate terminology would be Command Chief Master Sergeant or simply Command Chief. 

I'm not saying you are wrong, but someone is. It probably stemmed from a Encampment Commander who was a Navy or Coast Guard Vet and decided the position was necessary and didn't know what the AF terminology was.

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

sarflyer

I agree with Jordan.  Hold over from whoever set up the position.  Should be renamed to the correct title.

I just reviewed to things, CA Wing encampment manual and the National Encampment Manual. 

CA calls this position Sgt Major.  Again another hold over from an Army type.  Should be corrected to list the right title. 

National Encampment does not list this position.  They call them Squadron or Group First Sergeants.  Same job description, with a few other duties which appear appropriate.

Nothing in the regulations or manuals about these positions being authorized.  The National Encampment manual is dated 2002 and I'm not sure but it never was approved as a resource.  Too bad it is a good one.
Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

afgeo4

Quote from: sarflyer on June 17, 2008, 03:25:41 PM
I agree with Jordan.  Hold over from whoever set up the position.  Should be renamed to the correct title.

I just reviewed to things, CA Wing encampment manual and the National Encampment Manual. 

CA calls this position Sgt Major.  Again another hold over from an Army type.  Should be corrected to list the right title. 

National Encampment does not list this position.  They call them Squadron or Group First Sergeants.  Same job description, with a few other duties which appear appropriate.

Nothing in the regulations or manuals about these positions being authorized.  The National Encampment manual is dated 2002 and I'm not sure but it never was approved as a resource.  Too bad it is a good one.

That's because Squadrons and Groups have First Sergeants. Wings and above have Command Chiefs.

A Wing Encampment would suggest a CCMSgt, but if the encampment is ran as a separate group, as it is in MA Wing, it would be a group 1st Sgt (as it is in NY Wing).
GEORGE LURYE