Transportation Colorado encampment!!

Started by c/A1C Johnson, May 29, 2008, 11:17:05 PM

c/A1C Johnson

To whom it may concern,
   I am cadet senior airman Michael Johnson I am 14 years of age, and I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, I am attempting to get to Colorado Springs USAFA preparatory school for encampment.

My flight only goes to Denver it would be an extra 600$ to fly in to Colorado Springs. So if there is a C.A.P member that lives in Denver that will be able to give me a ride from the airport Friday 13th. And give me a ride from the prep school Saturday 21st  to the airport in Denver, and it is a approximately a 2 hour drive.

Unfortunately encampment doesn't start until the next day Saturday 14th.So I need stay the night from Friday 13th  until early Saturday morning at the member's house my father will donate 100$ to the member's squadron.

Dates:
Friday 13th pick up Denver airport (around)4:00-4:30
Friday 13th 4:30 drive to member's house
Saturday 14th check in USAFA prep school 9:00
14th-21st encampment
Saturday 21st drop of at Denver airport 

So please if there is anyone in Denver or near that is going to this encampment
please respond to this post and and show it to your parents.

Thank you,

It would be very appreciated,
Cadet Senior Airman Johnson

http://www.academyadmissions.com/intro/location.php

Pylon

It's $24 for round-trip tickets on Greyhound between Denver & Colorado Springs on the dates you specified.

Most encampments will pick you up from the airport/train or bus station if you tell them when you arrive in advance.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

c/A1C Johnson

correct but i have no way to get to the grey hound stop and i need to stay the night fri. 13th

Pylon

55 min ride from airport to the bus station on the Denver SkyRide shuttle/train thingy.  $9 fare to bus station.  Take purple line AF.  See timetable here: http://www.rtd-denver.com/Routes/RouteAF/519Weekdays.html

Over 20 lodging facilities are located within 10 miles of the airport.  Airport approved list here: http://www.flydenver.com/guide/local/hotels.asp

I found this in 10 minutes of searching and have never been to Denver.  Self-reliance is a great skill to have.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

c/A1C Johnson

Correct but respectfully I am only 14 I cant rent a hotel room I don't think I would even know how to do this also my parents said that they wontsend my on a bus to colorado springs and it would just be easier to stay with someone that is going the same way I am get a ride both ways from them and benefit civil air patrol by donating 100$ to there squadron.

kpetersen

There is nothing wrong with the bus system.  I've been on greyhound before, and it's a good opportunity to meet new people.  I've you're scared, sit near the bus driver.  They're nice guys. 

As to the hotel room, see if your parents can book it.  If you wanted to do something like this, next time check with people BEFORE you book the ticket.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

c/A1C Johnson

I haven't booked the ticket yet just trying to save some money and look we have tried to plan out a lot of diffrent ways I'm just looking for someone that is going we will donate 100$ to there squadron please only use this thread if you have something pertaining to my post. thank you

arajca

Contact the encampment staff (senior types). In the past they have let basic cadets arrive a day early and stay at the prep school. The encampment staff will be there, so supervision is not a problem. You may find yourself helping with the set up and getting a nice behind-the-scenes view of encampment.

They may even be able to help with the transportation issue, or point you in the right direction.

c/A1C Johnson

Thanks good idea ya we were going to have a staff pick me up but they wont go to denver  and southwest doesnt fly to colorado springs and it would be 600$ more so still trying to work out the transportation issue

thanks

mikeylikey

This thread started out like a bad "to catch a predator" episode. 

I can hear it now, "Hi, I'm Chris Hansen, why don't you have a seat". 
What's up monkeys?

c/A1C Johnson

Look i just want to know if anyone from cap lives there maybe going that way and we will donate100$ to there squadron please do not wrtie anything else

mikeylikey

You put way too much personal info out there.  Some weirdo can say "ya, I'm in CAP SQD 001 in Colorado Springs", and we will never see you again.

I suggest you talk to your SQD Commander about getting transportation to and from the activity.   
What's up monkeys?

kpetersen

Quote from: c/A1C Johnson on May 30, 2008, 12:49:51 AM
Look i just want to know if anyone from cap lives there maybe going that way and we will donate100$ to there squadron please do not wrtie anything else

1) Please use punctuation at places other than just the end of a paragraph.
2) Be nice.  The less you're nice, the less we want to help you.
3) Try the Missippi/Alabama encampment.  It's the same dates, and if you look on expedia.com, you can get round trip tickets for $473 or so (and the flight takes you to the same town as the encampment).
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

c/A1C Johnson

Please do not post unless it's relevant to this question.

Thank You

CAP Producer

Cadet Johnson,

Please remember that this is a public message board. That means if someone wants to say something, well they can.

There are some senior people trying to help you. By senior I mean some very experienced CP people who have been around the block a few times.

If you are not getting what you want then refine the question but don't lash out at folks who are trying to be helpful.

BTW, there's noting wrong with asking for help.

There are ways of making your situation work, just have an open mind and think before you post.

AL PABON, Major, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: c/A1C Johnson on May 30, 2008, 01:46:54 AM
Please do not post unless it's relevant to this question.

Thank You

And good night.  I even had the contact info to share with you on who exactly to contact at USAFA PREP for transportation from the airport the day of Encampment.

Lets also remember we know who you are, what unit your in.  You are speaking (relatively) to Officers both CAP and Military.

Maybe someone else in Colorado can help this Cadet out?
What's up monkeys?

c/A1C Johnson

Ok i see this thread has gotten a little out of hand so please nobody post anymore i am going to end this thread thank you everyone for there help and knowledge.

wish you all the best
Cadet Johnson

Camas

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 30, 2008, 03:00:07 AM
You are speaking (relatively) to Officers both CAP and Military.
There are a number of cadets posting on captalk who would do well to remember this advice.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: c/A1C Johnson on May 30, 2008, 03:49:34 AM
Ok i see this thread has gotten a little out of hand so please nobody post anymore i am going to end this thread thank you everyone for there help and knowledge.

wish you all the best
Cadet Johnson

I don't think you quite understand how this works

Quote from: CAP Producer on May 30, 2008, 02:43:00 AM
Cadet Johnson,

Please remember that this is a public message board. That means if someone wants to say something, well they can.

There are some senior people trying to help you. By senior I mean some very experienced CP people who have been around the block a few times.

If you are not getting what you want then refine the question but don't lash out at folks who are trying to be helpful.

and remember

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 30, 2008, 03:00:07 AM
...we know who you are, what unit your in.  You are speaking (relatively) to Officers both CAP and Military.

and in case no one has told you yet you can be held accountable for what you post on here. If you continue to be disrespectfully to officers (cadet, senior member and Active Duty alike) we can and may call your squadron commander.

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Tim Medeiros

Actually his squadron commander just needs to be sent a PM with a link to this thread as they are a regular member!

C/SrA Johnson, I strongly recommend you heed the advice of those who have posted before me, they were simply trying to help, remember to go far in life you need to keep an open mind to suggestions and ideas.  The one posted by Capt Petersen is a key example which will even cost you less money.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811