Main Menu

Waiver of NSC for UCC

Started by capmaj, November 27, 2007, 04:41:22 AM

capmaj

Anyone have any thoughts on the waiver of National Staff College that some Wing CC's are seeking for their attendance at the Unit Commanders Course?

I'm not aware of any regulatory allowance for it, but apparently some current Wing CC's have already gotten a 'waiver' and some former Wing CC's are now seeking it.

Is this allowed? Is it proper given that the NSC is billed as the premier Professional Development course?

Any thoughts?

lordmonar

Is the waiver so they can get credit for the National Staff College or the Unit Commander's Course?

As far as I can tell neither is required for promotion to wing commander.  Am I missing something?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

capmaj

It is a waiver ffrom the NSC. This would then allow completion of Level 5 for the Wilson.

Pylon

Whatever the purpose, UCC does not equate in any way whatsoever to NSC.  NSC as a week-long, in-residence, interactive and dynamic course does not compare at all to UCC - a two-day, powerpoint and lecture series.

Not sure what equivalency you indicate it being sought, but I can't imagine a case where they'd be considered similar or equivalent.

Level 5 isn't required for any promotion.  It's a level of professional development that demonstrates commitment, superior leadership, and continued self development.  Wanting to waiver requirements to achieve that defies the reason the level exists.  I don't get it. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

Or...is the waiver for the RWCC?

isuhawkeye

heres what happened.  Our previous national CC waived National staff school because they attended the week long commanders "Charm" school.  Lots of the material overlaps, but it is not the same course.  With our new CC that waiver has been eliminated, and anyone who waived that course has 1 year to finish national staff school, or they will lose their level 5 status

Pylon

Ah... Wing and Region Commanders Course is an entirely and very different thing than Unit Commanders Course.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAP_truth

The Air Command and Staff College completion will grant you a wavier for the NSC. The RWCC has no wavier because it deals with the corporate legal aspects of being a wing commander.
Cadet CoP
Wilson