Main Menu

eServices enhancement

Started by Tubacap, November 25, 2007, 11:26:10 AM

Tubacap

What do you think it would take for NHQ to call these guys and see if we could be set up with the same thing for our awards?

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123076330
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SStradley

Sounds like it fixes a problem we don't have:

QuoteThe vPC-GR dashboard also will reduce the number of e-mail notifications necessary to complete the coordination process. The coordinator, reviewers and approval officials will have the ability to choose to receive one e-mail a day or none.

"With the old system, commanders coming in for their (unit training assembly) weekend could be faced with hundreds of e-mails just for vPC-GR transactions," Colonel Ottinger said. "Many of our customers found the number of e-mails generated by every request excessive. Now they decide how many they receive. That's good news."

In e-services the "approver" (commander, ESO, etc.) don't received an e-mail for each request.  They just log in and see all the approvals waiting for them on the right.

E-services can be improved,  but how does this help?

Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

Tubacap

I was aiming more towards being able to log everything in eServices, including ribbons and awards.  It seems that the infrastructure is already being built somewhere, why reinvent the wheel when you can just make small additions to something that already works. 

I'm not sure how nationally we are going to gracefully integrate eServices, WMIRS, and I hope something to the functionality of SIMS without at somepoint in time junking all three and reinventing it as a fully integrated Squadron Management Utility. 
NER-PA-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Tubacap on November 25, 2007, 01:22:47 PM
I was aiming more towards being able to log everything in eServices, including ribbons and awards.  It seems that the infrastructure is already being built somewhere, why reinvent the wheel when you can just make small additions to something that already works. 

I'm not sure how nationally we are going to gracefully integrate eServices, WMIRS, and I hope something to the functionality of SIMS without at somepoint in time junking all three and reinventing it as a fully integrated Squadron Management Utility. 

Integration of "everything is coming" - NHQ has said so (I think its even in some of the announcements on their page, or the RSS feed).  >WHEN< is the question.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Quote from: SStradley on November 25, 2007, 12:54:18 PM
Sounds like it fixes a problem we don't have:

QuoteThe vPC-GR dashboard also will reduce the number of e-mail notifications necessary to complete the coordination process. The coordinator, reviewers and approval officials will have the ability to choose to receive one e-mail a day or none.

"With the old system, commanders coming in for their (unit training assembly) weekend could be faced with hundreds of e-mails just for vPC-GR transactions," Colonel Ottinger said. "Many of our customers found the number of e-mails generated by every request excessive. Now they decide how many they receive. That's good news."

In e-services the "approver" (commander, ESO, etc.) don't received an e-mail for each request.  They just log in and see all the approvals waiting for them on the right.

E-services can be improved,  but how does this help?

Not sure that it's not a problem, my wing DO just sent out an email saying there are approvals sitting that are anywhere from a few days to a year or so old.  It may be a good idea to get an email once a week or so saying hey dummy you have aprovals waiting. 

Disclaimer:  We do still use WMU for all but pilot stuff
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine link=topic=3619.msg68906#msg68906

Not sure that it's not a problem, my wing DO just sent out an email saying there are approvals sitting that are anywhere from a few days to a year or so old.  It may be a good idea to get an email once a week or so saying hey dummy you have approvals waiting.

A lot of eServices notifications get lost in SPAM filters, as does WMU stuff.

Quote from: IceNine on November 25, 2007, 04:01:01 PM
Disclaimer:  We do still use WMU for all but pilot stuff

We won't by this time next year - sooner most likely.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

A module for recommending and tracking CAP decorations and awards? Now I like that.

Only major problem is initial implementation of the module. You'll have to ask everyone to bring copies of their award certificates, CAPF 120s, 2As etc. for validation and recording at squadron or group level. Knowing how crappy records are kept in CAP, the occasional pencil-whipped award might slip through the cracks, unless there's some kind of backup proof somewhere up the chain of command.

For example, this would be what the award module would look like on the Member Report on eServices (using my awards as an example):

COMMANDER'S COMMENDATION                  APR 2007
NAT COMM UNIT CITATION                           NOV 2005
UNIT CITATION
UNIT CITATION                                             
UNIT CITATION                                             JUL 2006   
LOENING AWARD                                         JAN 2007
DAVIS AWARD                                              JUL 2006
MEMBERSHIP RIBBON                                   NOV 2005
YEAGER AWARD            261438                    OCT 2005
EARHART AWARD          1257                        MAY 1982
MITCHELL AWARD         2375                       APR 1981
RED SERVICE                                               (would it count breaks in service?)
SEARCH FIND RIBBON                                  OCT 2006
CAC RIBBON + BRZ STR                               APR 1981
ENCAMPMENT                                              JUL 1978
ENCAMPMENT                                              DEC 2007

Some training items could automatically generate a notation in the awards section, as they already do.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

I don't see that as a problem - if you can't substantiate it, you don't get credit and you take it off your uniform.

This is the same as a ramp-up to SIMS.  Sure there is some initial wailing and gnashing of teeth, but maintaining proper substantiation of awards is as much the members' responsibility as the units.

Perhaps when a few members have to take the attachments off their Comm Comm's and Unit Citations because of poor record keeping they will step up and help fix the situation.

For personal awards not recorded at NHQ, I accept a notarized letter from the member with detail on the award, preferably with a signature from the person who presented them the award (not always possible).  I would not accept this for anything higher than a Comm-Comm - that would require Wing or higher to sign-off the letter, etc.

Bottom line, I'm not going to require a Congressional hearing over every encampment ribbon, but by the same token if its important enough to wear, the members shoudl know they need to substantiate it in some way.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

Adding any fucntionality to a website can be expensive, and I personally don't think the cost/benefit is worth it.

Many of the things that we get ribbons for are covered in the training/professional development sections of Member Search of e-services or CAPWATCH download.

Tracking awards is not a big deal for CAP as it is for the military, where awards are a component of the promotion process.

Keep the onus on the units to maintain the member personnel file.  (With that in mind, I would advocate former Mil to keep a copy of a DD214 or ORB in their file (I do.)  I've seen some questionable mil awards on some members.

Besides, there are other areas to focus on in e-services that would give us a bigger bang for the buck.

Tubacap

NER-PA-001

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on November 25, 2007, 05:03:58 PM
I don't see that as a problem - if you can't substantiate it, you don't get credit and you take it off your uniform.

Funny story about that you know...almost 1/3 of the awards and decs I wear I don't have anything in my personnel record for them.  WIWAC, I took about 6 months off when I started college.  My squadron got a new squadron commander and he decided to purge the records.  Since he didn't know who I was - he threw my personnel record away.

Of course being a cadet and fairly young at the time, you don't think, "Hey, I should keep copies of all this stuff."  So while I actually earned the decorations, I don't have any documentation to prove it, but I wear them anyway.  Integrity is one of our core values and all...and I probably won't go to hell for wearing my CAC ribbon without a 2a...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Adding the ability to track all awards is something we need - it would end so many arguments, and help a lot of situations, especially for returning members and transferees.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Just as a sidenote, in the CG Aux I don't believe the local units (flotillas) keep any personnel records at all (at least mine doesn't).  Everything is tracked electronically and the CG (in the person of the DIRAUX and his small staff) do all the awards data entry.  This takes out a lot of the hassle of membership when compared to CAP.  I think we'll eventually get there. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 26, 2007, 03:31:33 PM

Funny story about that you know...almost 1/3 of the awards and decs I wear I don't have anything in my personnel record for them.  WIWAC, I took about 6 months off when I started college.  My squadron got a new squadron commander and he decided to purge the records.  Since he didn't know who I was - he threw my personnel record away.

That's a violation CAPR 10-2, Table 11, #2
Quote from: CAPR 10-2
. . . snip. . .
Note: cutoff when membership expires or transfers, and destroy after 5 years.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CAP_truth

E-services also should add under courses ex.

SLS Instructor, 1-Jan-2004
CLC Director.   31-Dec-2006
Wing Conference   15-Apr-2000
NB                           7-Aug-2007

Duty Assignments
REG-WG-xxx Commander                   2003-2006
REG-WG-xxx Communications Officer 1999-2001

With items like this added a Professional Development Officer can better monitor when a member has completed all the requirement for awards
Cadet CoP
Wilson

O-Rex

Quote from: CAP_truth on November 30, 2007, 01:23:11 AM
E-services also should add under courses ex.

SLS Instructor, 1-Jan-2004
CLC Director.   31-Dec-2006
Wing Conference   15-Apr-2000
NB                           7-Aug-2007

Duty Assignments
REG-WG-xxx Commander                   2003-2006
REG-WG-xxx Communications Officer 1999-2001

With items like this added a Professional Development Officer can better monitor when a member has completed all the requirement for awards

I've been a lont-time advocate of tracking command-time: since it's validated and recorded at NHQ, it's not like they have to request the info.

I think that documenting Senior participation as outlined above would be more relevant than tracking who has what ribbon: We are promoted based on what we have done, not to mention that such participation is what drives much of our blingage anyway.

arajca

Something that is available in Eservices which I have seldom seen used is duty position assignments. It's a handy tool, that just needs a tweak to add start and end dates. Provides a valuable place for tracking what you've done for the "command and/of staff service" requirements.

O-Rex

I keep records of my awards, I am totally A/R about it.

I make one hardcopy for me, then two copies of my e-personnel file with everything on .pdf: one for me, and one for my unit to lose  (and of course I have a backup on my PC.)

The only thing you really need to track are actual awards (Distinguished, Meritorious Comm, etc.) Ops/ES (Find, DR, CD, Oride. etc.)  PD, encampments and cadet achievements are already recorded.

SStradley

Quote from: O-Rex on December 03, 2007, 04:58:57 PM
I keep records of my awards, I am totally A/R about it.

I make one hardcopy for me, then two copies of my e-personnel file with everything on .pdf: one for me, and one for my unit to lose  (and of course I have a backup on my PC.)

The only thing you really need to track are actual awards (Distinguished, Meritorious Comm, etc.) Ops/ES (Find, DR, CD, Oride. etc.)  PD, encampments and cadet achievements are already recorded.

E-Services does not track missions and finds so you also need to record them in your 201 file (with a copy for your self). 
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee