Main Menu

Prior Service Paperwork

Started by riffraff, November 16, 2007, 02:36:55 AM

riffraff

Had a quick question regarding SMs with prior military service. My take on CAPR 35-5 is that prior service members need to provide one or more of the following: a DD-214, an ID card, or promotion orders for the grade being sought. Is this a correct interpretation?

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

O-Rex

DD-214-Honorably Discharged Veteran (nice to have in Personnel file, also tracks all mil awards & ratings-I keep a copy in mine)

Promotion orders-works if member was just promoted, and waiting for new mil ID Card.

ID Card-self explanatory.

riffraff

that's what I thought. Is this subject to local interpretation -- i.e. Wing can stipulate DD-214 only?

The reg states that "these promotions are neither automatic nor mandatory." I'm trying to understand how/when someone would not be advanced to their RM grade?

Example: serving officer provides ID card (correct grade) and copies of promotion orders (for same grade) but does not have recent DD-214 (still serving in reserves but left active military 10 years ago). Assuming an O-4, would this officer expect to not be advanced to his RM grade?

FYI: while DD-214 will detail discharge type for enlisted members, officers are typically just transferred to another component (USAF to USAFRes, etc) with no mention of character of service. Commissions tend to run open-ended unless one gets passed-over for promotion or opts to resign ... in which case type of discharge is given.

Eclipse

Since Wing or higher will be the approving authority, they certainly could deny the promotion, especially if for some reason they think something is fishy.  Its unusual, but it happens.

If a DDR214 is not an applicable document, then the ID almost always suffices, or just get him to pull a current military record.

If he's still >in< the service, on whatever level, that should be no problem.

Now, if there is some weird circumstance, like he was a Major in one service, and accepted a demotion to captain in another service (or similar), I don't know how that would be handled - you shoudl probably call your Wing Personell officer or CS and ask.

I've personally processed advanced grade based on RealMilitary® service with a current service record, military ID, and a copy of the most recent promotion order (respectively), with no issue.  On some level, they are accepting your word as a CC that he is "legal".

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Don't forget the DD-215 -- if somebody has had their record amended (happens more often than you'd think... the MPF doesn't catch everything!) they can get one of these to show the most correct record.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

The DD-215 would pertain to updated active duty records.  Such as an award that was processed after the individual left active duty.  I don't think that the DD-215 would catch up data on reserve promotions.

Example:

A person serves in Vietnam, and his DD-214 shows certain awards.  After he goes back to reserve duty, a unit award is announced that covers his unit during his service with that unit.  The DD-215 will show this update.

While serving as a reservist, he gets three additional personal awards, and is promoted in the reserve.  The DD-215 will NOT reflect these awards nor the promotion.

I have never heard of any problem of a wing or region not accepting the most recent promotion order or an ID card as proof of armed forces rank.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Officer Record Brief works just fine too.  Current Offficers can get thiers online these days. 
What's up monkeys?