Quick question about prior service ...?

Started by Nomex Maximus, November 14, 2007, 08:20:42 PM

Nomex Maximus

Hello all,

I am talking to a retired AF Major, fighter pilot, ATP, who'd be a real asset to CAP if we could get him to join... if he joins, does he come in as a CAP Major? If so, what does he have to do to get his rank, what are the procedures, etc?

Thanks

NTM

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Al Sayre

Piece of Cake...

He joins as an SMWOG, and completes Level 1.
Fill out a CAPF2 and attach a copy of his DD214 or commissioning letter.
Send it to Group who loses it er sends it to Wing who loses it er sends it to NHQ. 
Takes about 6 weeks ususally.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davedove

I would emphasize that this requires the approval of all the commanders up to wing level, it is not automatic.  I doubt if too many get turned down though.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Short Field

A quicker way is to have the first level of approval (Squadron Commander) put a statement in the remarks block that he/she has verified the DD Fm 214 information - and specifically identify the highest rank achieved - and that the DD Fm 214 is in the personnel record.  Then e-mail the package up the chain. 

I have successfully done this and it significantly cuts down on the time between submission, approval, and entry into e-Services.  I have seen it happen in less than a week between submission and entry into e-Services.  Any time you can e-mail a form in CAP, do it.  It really cuts down on processing time as you eliminate the snail mail delays.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Al Sayre

You could always scan the DD214 and attach it as a .pdf when you email it...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PHall

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on November 14, 2007, 10:08:27 PM
A quicker way is to have the first level of approval (Squadron Commander) put a statement in the remarks block that he/she has verified the DD Fm 214 information - and specifically identify the highest rank achieved - and that the DD Fm 214 is in the personnel record.  Then e-mail the package up the chain. 

I have successfully done this and it significantly cuts down on the time between submission, approval, and entry into e-Services.  I have seen it happen in less than a week between submission and entry into e-Services.  Any time you can e-mail a form in CAP, do it.  It really cuts down on processing time as you eliminate the snail mail delays.

I don't doubt that this has worked for you, but doing it this way risks it being bounced for substantiation.

Your best best is to PDF the whole thing, email it through the chain and make sure substantiation is included.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2007, 02:11:34 AM
[I don't doubt that this has worked for you, but doing it this way risks it being bounced for substantiation.

I guess we are just lucky here where the chain (through Region and National) believes our Commander when he says he validated the source documents.   ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Cecil DP

Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2007, 01:46:24 AM
Photocopy of their ID card works too.
It's actually illegal to photocopy the ID cards.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 15, 2007, 05:05:06 AM

Where does it say that?

On a different note, I have sent in several prior service based promotions electronically, using only a Form 2 with a statement of substantiation on file, and they have all gone through with no problem.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Reg cite please. And I'm talking about the Grey Retired ID card. Not the CAC.

JCW0312

Found this in a tri-care newsletter (If it helps):

"While some TRICARE
beneficiaries may believe that it is illegal to copy uniformed
services ID cards, it is in fact legal to copy them for authorized
purposes. Authorized purposes include facilitating medical
care eligibility determination and documentation, check
cashing and administering other military-related benefits."

For what it's worth...
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

shorning

Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2007, 06:25:30 AM

But...I'll take a reg cite for the CAC too.  I know that DoD has scanned mine several times.

mikeylikey

Quote from: shorning on November 15, 2007, 04:21:29 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 15, 2007, 06:25:30 AM

But...I'll take a reg cite for the CAC too.  I know that DoD has scanned mine several times.

AAFES copies them most locations if you want check cashing privileges.  Lodging Offices will usually copy them if you are TDY and staying in billeting.  I know the Clubs at DIX and MCGUIRE and alot of others copied mine when I joined.  It really is not a big deal.  JUST DONT let them copy the Social Security Numbers.  Or at the minimum black out the social.
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

When we mobilized for the First Gulf War, we had the troops photocopy their ID's and attach a copy of the mobilization order to leave with their dependents in case there was any question regarding authorizing benefits.

Another former CAP officer

Cecil DP

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 18, 2007, 07:42:35 PM
When we mobilized for the First Gulf War, we had the troops photocopy their ID's and attach a copy of the mobilization order to leave with their dependents in case there was any question regarding authorizing benefits.

Every other unit gave the dependents an active duty dependent and Tricare cards to cover the questions about benefits   
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

stillamarine

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 18, 2007, 08:16:58 PM

Every other unit gave the dependents an active duty dependent and Tricare cards to cover the questions about benefits   

Yeah it wasn't always that easy. Some units didn't have the ability to make their own id's and we a great distance from a base to get a new one right away, when the service member would deploy, the spouse still only had a "reserve ID" which doesn't give them any benefits. So it was determined that a Reserve ID with Mobilization Orders would work to prove eligibility.

Nowadays It hink most Reserve units have a ID Machine within a reasonable distance.

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: stillamarine on November 18, 2007, 10:39:29 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on November 18, 2007, 08:16:58 PM

Yeah it wasn't always that easy. Some units didn't have the ability to make their own id's and we a great distance from a base to get a new one right away, when the service member would deploy, the spouse still only had a "reserve ID" which doesn't give them any benefits. So it was determined that a Reserve ID with Mobilization Orders would work to prove eligibility.

Nowadays It hink most Reserve units have a ID Machine within a reasonable distance.

That's right.  We had a supporting installation that could produce active-duty dependent ID's, but it was more than 90 miles away.  An order came out that a reserve dependent ID together with mobilization orders, would work for all purposes, including issuance of the active-duty dependent ID whenever the family members could get up to the base.  That's why we also photocopied the soldier's ID card as well, to document the sponsor in case there was a question. 
Another former CAP officer

riffraff

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 14, 2007, 11:50:53 PM
You could always scan the DD214 and attach it as a .pdf when you email it...

ID theft is a very real and growing problem.  I'd strongly urge caution with regards to making/keeping/distributing anything with members SSNs on it. Electronic copies can end up anywhere. A DD-214 presents a wealth of info to an ID thief. If there isn't a compelling reason to forward copies, don't.

There is nothing in the process which requires copies of anything to be made or retained. It only says reviewed by the person submitting the form (Squadron CC). An entry is made in Section IX of Form 2 indicating supporting documentation has been reviewed. List what was reviewed in a clear, concise manner -- "DD-214, ID card, or promotion orders are considered sufficient (CAPR 35-5)".