Recruiting Event this weekend!

Started by stillamarine, November 09, 2007, 01:40:08 AM

stillamarine

Well, As some of you may know, this weekend is the Blue Angels Homecoming Airshow. I didn't know until last week, but I was able to get in touch with the MWR rep and he was more than willing to help us get a table in the display area for recruiting. The show is Friday and Saturday 0700-1900. As the PAO for both a Senior Squadron and Composite Squadron I couldn't resist such an opportunity!!

So Spoke with the Cadets, of course they're stoked, I won't have any probelm getting them out there. (Told the Cadet Officers I wanted a mix of Cadets in BDUs and Blues. Personal thing just like the ability to show both.) They will be out there Saturday I'm sure for most of the day.

Problem is Friday, of course with school and such I know I won't get Cadets, I've requested help from the Senior Members in both Squadrons and have had 1 response! Looks like it will be a cold lonely day, but oh well!!

Anyways can't wait! I may not be online much until Sunday but when it's over I'll post pics and an AAR.

PS If by chance anyone is coming down for it let me, stop by! Look for the lonely Butter Bar in Blues shivering!!

**edit** cause I'm an idiot and didn't spell check before hitting post!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

BillB

Check with the Composite Squadron Commander. There are so many cadets now-a-days that are home schooled, you may be able to get a couple for Friday. Home Schooled cadets can adjust their weekday schedules to allow them to take part in activities such as this. You might also find enough home schooled cadets that can help the Senior Squadron for missions during the week.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

stillamarine

Yeah unfortunatly none of ours are. I did have a couple seniors show up through out the day. Enough to give me head breaks and let me wander a lil bit.

Had a good time, talked to a few people and got sunburned!

Tomorrow is another day and I know for a fact I'll have cadets out there. Wish us luck!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

Well a brief AAR.

Second day of the airshow went great!! I had 11 of our 12 cadets out there. Most of the stayed for the entire event. They got a chance to enjoy the show as well as working the table. (They loved the Virtual Army Experience). I even took time to walk through the aircraft displays with most of them and passed on some of my personal experience and knowledge with them (even got to show them some of the aircraft I had the experience of falling out of when I was younger and dumber!).

Had some cadets from AL wing (which is about 20 mins down the road lol) wandering around that our guys gotta talk to. I met a gentleman from MS wing who invited our Cadets to attend the joint AL/MS Wings Encampment next year. Many of our Cadets are looking forward to that seeing its 5 hours closer than our Wing's! Also met some Cadets that flew down from Maguire AFB on a KC-10, talk about an O-ride! I believe they were from PA or NJ Wing.

We passed out over a hundred of the "Opportunity Knocks" brochures, a couple dozen posters and 9 of the Teacher brochures. I think we probably talked to at least twice that amount of people. Many just wondering what it was we do.

Overall as a Public Affairs Officer, I am extremely pleased with the outcome. Know hopefully we get some of these prospects into a meeting and signed up. If we sign 1 person I will be happy. If we sign 5 I'll be ecstatic!

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SJFedor

Quote from: stillamarine on November 11, 2007, 02:48:04 AM
Well a brief AAR.

Second day of the airshow went great!! I had 11 of our 12 cadets out there. Most of the stayed for the entire event. They got a chance to enjoy the show as well as working the table. (They loved the Virtual Army Experience). I even took time to walk through the aircraft displays with most of them and passed on some of my personal experience and knowledge with them (even got to show them some of the aircraft I had the experience of falling out of when I was younger and dumber!).

Had some cadets from AL wing (which is about 20 mins down the road lol) wandering around that our guys gotta talk to. I met a gentleman from MS wing who invited our Cadets to attend the joint AL/MS Wings Encampment next year. Many of our Cadets are looking forward to that seeing its 5 hours closer than our Wing's! Also met some Cadets that flew down from Maguire AFB on a KC-10, talk about an O-ride! I believe they were from PA or NJ Wing.

We passed out over a hundred of the "Opportunity Knocks" brochures, a couple dozen posters and 9 of the Teacher brochures. I think we probably talked to at least twice that amount of people. Many just wondering what it was we do.

Overall as a Public Affairs Officer, I am extremely pleased with the outcome. Know hopefully we get some of these prospects into a meeting and signed up. If we sign 1 person I will be happy. If we sign 5 I'll be ecstatic!

A few years ago, WIWAC, I was with a unit in PA that took a trip down there in a KC-10 from McGuire for the homecoming weekend. It was absolutely intense.

Especially the 2am departure out of McGuire because the plane that was SUPPOSED to go down there, got retasked "elsewhere". We were supposed to watch some air to air refueling, but since the flight got delayed, they didn't.

Got to actually sit in a jump seat in the cockpit for the departure out of Pensacola, that was the hotness.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)