Main Menu

Squadron and Group Dues

Started by captrncap, November 05, 2007, 03:50:54 PM

captrncap

I am in a Squadron that HAS to pay its Group dues for every member on the MML as of 31 December even if the member is not active at the squadron level.

We have also been informed that to defray this cost to the Squadron, the SQ/CC can terminate any cadet that hasn't paid dues (as they can't be transfer to the "Inactive Squadron (000)) and transfer all non-active Senior Members to the "Inactive Squadron (000)".

What regulation would cover this termination? I could only find information about overall CAP membership related to national issues (i.e. bouncing checks, insubordination, lack of progress in the CP)

Thank you

mikeylikey

I don't have an answer....but am curious as to how much your Group dues are?
What's up monkeys?

captrncap

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 05, 2007, 04:17:59 PM
I don't have an answer....but am curious as to how much your Group dues are?

$15/Cadet
$25/Senior

Capt M. Sherrod

I think that there are some questions that need to be raised.

1) Are the members in question active in any way, shape, or form (higher echelon)?

2) Are the members in question still in the local area for the squadron and is anyone in contact with them.

If the answer is NO, to either of the questions above, you would need to look at 35-3 for the appropriate section.  However, I will try and highlight what I think are the most applicable.

The unfortunate reality of being a member of this organization is that there are costs associated with being a member.  As has been espoused by many with more experience and time in than I have: Membership is a privilege not a right.  That having been said.  The particular part of 35-3 in both Section A and Section B is "failure to renew"

Section A Par 3. a. 7 for cadets and Section B Par 4. a. 1 for seniors.  Group Dues is part of the renewal process and failure to pay those dues does constitute non-renewing.

Beyond that, for cadets who are "inactive" there are two further possible reasons for termination.

Sec A, Par 3.b. and/or c.  (Failure to progress and/or Lack of interest) respectively.

For Seniors, you have the option of the "Ghost Squadron" as you have previously indicated.

While the above are possible explanations for removing someone from the program,  I would try and do everything I could to keep cadets in.  Of course, I am biased toward cadets, being a DCC, however, I would make sure I knew why the cadet wasn't participating and/or unable to pay group dues.  Depending on the area of the country that you are in, the cadets may or may not have access to enough money to support their CAP involvement.  In that situation, the squadron may want to try and hold fundraisers and/or make an appeal to the senior members of the squadron to help defray the costs for the cadets.

I hope this helps, YMMV.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Pylon

Don't know what your Group rules are on this, but do you have to pay for Patron members?  You could use a CAPF 2A to transfer inactive members to patron status and they can later re-transfer to active status without incurring loss of progression or additional membership cost.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I don't think you can really kick someone out for something that isn't on the renewal notice from NHQ.  Not paying that would constitute non-renewal.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

How exactly does the group require that the squadron pay dues for each member on their MML.  Talk about putting a financial hardship on the squadron...I think I'd tell them to send a bill to each member and leave my squadron alone.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ZigZag911

Back when I was group CC we (my staff & I) used to raise funds to give the squadrons!

I've heard of places where the groups levy a 'tax' on their units....strikes me as unreasonable...if groups need funds and can't raise them, the wing ought to budget money for them.

BTW, are these group dues approved by your wing?  That is required, you know.

jimmydeanno

In all actuality, if you're group needs money from all the members to perform it's mission, then the wing should increase it's dues $15.00 per year and distribute that to the group.  Seems like a "hiding the cost" type of thing to me...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Trouble

Seems like hefty dues to pay at Group level, IMHO.  I am curious what are your Natl. Dues and Wing/ Region Dues? 
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

TankerT

As a former Group CC, I find this a bit odd to just force this on the squadrons. 

And, I'd be surprised that most wing CCs would sign off on this.  (Dues need to be approved by Wing.)

My wife belongs to a Squadron that charges $40 for SMs each year.  I think that is crazy, but... they do actually do things with that money... but... a Group?  I find the member's return on funds a bit light for that one...

What is the Group going to do with all that money?  (That adds up to quite a bit...)

/Insert Snappy Comment Here