Main Menu

recruiting handouts?

Started by brasda91, October 29, 2007, 07:40:45 PM

brasda91

When the AD recruiters put on a recruiting drive, they usually have pencils, bottles, etc. to handout.  Here are your questions:

1. Does anybody try to employ this tactic?
2. Has anybody seen anything of the sort, with CAP on it?
3. If so, what was it?
4. Do you try to pass out anything, other than the brochures?

I'm recruiting at one of our local middle schools tomorrow and while I was gathering my supplies, I thought of needing something to pass out to the students.  I know it's too late for this school, but I have 3 other middle schools to recruit at. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep this thread civilized and on track with positive comments.

Thank you.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

jeders

http://www.cadetstuff.org/archives/p000115.html

Here's what I use from CadetStuff. Just replace the text with your own info.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

addo1

Those are good ones jeders, and there are also a couple on the Next Step CD that cadets have, that I use.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

addo1

Also, one thing that I do when I recruit is that I have LOTS of pictures handy.  I am in Junior High myself and that is one of the things that makes my friends want to join - pictures.  I had about 10-15 pictures of my recent O-flights today at school and I may have as many as 10 people visiting in the next couple of weeks.  Also, sometimes I know that school newspapers have been known to print up articles about CAP.  My school is having a article printed up about it this week and a whole page in the yearbook about me and the Civil Air Patrol.  There are so many creative ways to recruit it is unbelievable.  My only suggestion is that you put yourself back in Middle School and use whatever you think would be attractive when you were that age.  ;D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

RiverAux

There are the paper airplane cut outs with CAP symbology on them.  I think they're AE products. 

Eeyore

Quote from: RiverAux on October 29, 2007, 10:07:52 PM
There are the paper airplane cut outs with CAP symbology on them.  I think they're AE products. 

They are attached to the CAP Fact Sheet that national used to send out. I don't think that it is still available with the recruiting material.

RiverAux

I've been ordering fact sheets for years and never had the planes come wtih them and never even seem them as an option on the recruiting materials order page.  An AE guy ordered some about a year ago that we used at an airshow.  They must be around somewhere. 

BillB

At one time CAP gave out a plastic holder with a oil change/lube date card inside. I just sent one to CAPHISTORIAN who pops up on this Board. Maybe he can get a photo. The holder was small enough and had a foam/adhesive backing so it would mount next to a car door to remind someone when their oil change was due. I got a bunch from National and put them in jars at the Chevy and Ford dealers.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

I think general doo-dad handouts (pens, pencils, etc.) are probably a bit beyond CAP's budget and I'm not sure they would be worth the cost. 

Eeyore

The fact sheet with the glider says "CAPNHQ/v.24 JUNE 05" at the bottom.

I'll scan a copy of it and post it.

BillB

At a National Board meeting, they handed out pencils. The cost is not that much when only given out at special events. It would be beyond the budge to make them available to all Squadrons as handouts.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eeyore

Looks like I'll have to post the glider one page at a time.

Eeyore

This page is printed on the front side.

Eeyore

This is the back side.

RiverAux

Thats certainly the airplane I was talking about, but I've never seen it combined with the factsheet.  Every fact sheet I've ever gotten for the last 10 years has been on regular paper while the airplane was on some harder construction-paper like material. 

I actually have the same version fact sheet as you cited and it was just plain paper.  I think someone locally probably took the AE airplane piece and photocopied the CAP fact sheet onto the back of it. 

Eeyore

It's one thick sheet, 17 x 11 basically folded in half. On one large side it has the fact sheet and the back side of the plane and on the opposite large side it has the plane instructions with the front side of the plane.

If it came from someplace locally, it definitely did not come from my squadron.

All together it looks nice; fun thing for the kids I guess...

If anyone wants a few copies of it I can mail it to you, just PM me. I have a bunch of them.

jimmydeanno

When we do recruiting the first person we go and see is the DDR officer.  She is very capable of getting CAP branded/DDR Branded items to hand out to potential members.  She gets us:

1) Water Bottles
2) Stress Balls
3) Pencils/Pens
4) Balsa wood airplanes
5) Carri beaners
6) Erasers
7) Rulers

and some other stuff.  But we hand out LOADS of these kind of things.  So I guess you could say that we employ the techniques of the AD recruiters.  Even if you don't get everyone as a recruit you have still helped to build AWARENESS of CAP in your area, which in some cases is just as important.

From my understanding there is a catalog for DDR/CAP stuff if you need that sort of thing, however, I don't know where - perhaps one of our DDR officers can chime in here.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt M. Sherrod

Jimmy,

You beat me to it.  Yes, there are loads of things that you can get from DDR.  IIRC all you have to pay for is the shipping.  There is a catalog of things to choose from.  I'll see if I can dig up a copy of it.

Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Cecil DP

I've found that new members are very interested in copies of  the Volunteer magazine. Only trouble is getting enough copies to distribute.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 30, 2007, 08:35:20 PM
I've found that new members are very interested in copies of  the Volunteer magazine. Only trouble is getting enough copies to distribute.

All you need to do is call national and they'll send you a bunch.  We asked for some and they sent 2 cases...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill