Fingerprints for Senior Application when prints already at National?

Started by dogboy, October 24, 2007, 08:55:01 AM

dogboy

We have an applicant for Senior membership. He is a former Cadet who was fingerprinted when he turned 18, which was 4 yeears ago. Presumably these prints are still on file at National.

Does he need to submit fingerprints with his Senior application?

corrected Subject line - TA

Hawk200

If he's had a break, do them. National will want them anyway.

Something I do is to do two print cards, and send them both in. It solves the problem of getting them kicked back. Never had any returned since I started.

PHall

There are no cards kept at National. They are forwarded to the FBI for the screening. All we get back from the FBI is results, they keep the cards.

Short Field

The new fingerprint card just confirms that the applicate is the same person as the person named on the application and is still qualified to be a member.     
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

dogboy

Reply from National. Yes, new fingerprint cards must be submitted.

Although the member submitted fingerprints at 18, we do not keep the physical cards on file here at National.  The FBI has those cards destroyed immediately after the background screen.  I know it can be quite a chore getting them done, but the answer is yes.  We do need him to submit a new fingerprint card with his senior application.   
If you have any questions you can contact me by email or at the number listed below.

Thank you
JANIE JENKINS
CONFIDENTIAL SCREENING COORDINATOR
NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS,CAP
1-877-227-9142 Ext 208
jjenkins@cap.gov

SeattleSarge

Just a quick tip on fingerprinting...

Most State Police agencies offer fingerprinting courses for representatives of agencies that are required to submit cards.

You can purchase a kit with the supplies and "roll your own".

We do that in Seattle Squadron and have saved time and expense to our applicants.

-SeattleSarge
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

brasda91

Quote from: SeattleSarge on October 25, 2007, 04:22:52 PM
Just a quick tip on fingerprinting...

Most State Police agencies offer fingerprinting courses for representatives of agencies that are required to submit cards.

You can purchase a kit with the supplies and "roll your own".

We do that in Seattle Squadron and have saved time and expense to our applicants.

-SeattleSarge

I went to Wally World and bought an ink pad.  I've fingerprinted two seniors and have not heard anything about the quality being less than the standard.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

SarDragon

Yup. I sent to National for their little info packet on how to do usable prints, and it just reaffirnmed my prior knowledge. I actually learned how to prints in grade school, and the first 5 or 6 cards I did in CAP (1999 or so) were done prior to my receipt of the info packet. I've never had any rejected.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

I was under the impression that we required them to be done by a law enforcement agency and that an officer had to sign the cards.  Is that not mentioned in our regulations or application procedures anywhere?

SarDragon

I looked in every reg I could think of back in 2000, when I started doing applications, and found nothing. If you find something, let me know, and I will attempt to comply.

I have sent in 20 or 30 FD-258s with my signature, and Capt/Maj, CAP, on them, and they have all been accepted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

brasda91

Quote from: RiverAux on October 26, 2007, 12:31:55 AM
I was under the impression that we required them to be done by a law enforcement agency and that an officer had to sign the cards.

I thought the same thing when I did the first card, due to the block where the "signature of the official taking the fingerprints" is supposed to sign.  But hey, we're the officials of CAP!
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

star1151

Quote from: RiverAux on October 26, 2007, 12:31:55 AM
I was under the impression that we required them to be done by a law enforcement agency and that an officer had to sign the cards.  Is that not mentioned in our regulations or application procedures anywhere?

Apparently not, since my squadron does their own.  To be honest, I don't remember the card being signed, but it must have been.

dogboy

Quote from: SarDragon on October 26, 2007, 12:21:56 AM
Yup. I sent to National for their little info packet on how to do usable prints, and it just reaffirnmed my prior knowledge. I actually learned how to prints in grade school, and the first 5 or 6 cards I did in CAP (1999 or so) were done prior to my receipt of the info packet. I've never had any rejected.

Where do you get the info packet?

SarDragon

Quote from: dogboy on October 26, 2007, 07:33:04 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 26, 2007, 12:21:56 AM

Where do you get the info packet?

Oh, you would have to ask that. I just checked the Knowledgebase, and the response there has been deleted. Now I'll need to find the envelope the stuff came in to verify the OPR.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret