Squadron Commanders, by the numbers...

Started by jimmydeanno, October 10, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

IceNine

I am going to guess that a number of those Col's are commanding things like the Congressional Squadron, NHQ squadrons, etc.  I am sure there are a small amount that are commanding local units but probably not likely.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

^I took that into consideration, those 6 are normal squadrons.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

ok well then that's more interesting than I thought at first glance

But as I sit here never having been in command of anything (as an officer)

I think it would be fun to see how much easier commanding a squadron would be after commanding a region or wing or whatever.

I had the same thought when I "retired" as a cadet, I applied to 3 different encampments and just put cadet instead of C/Maj, so that I could be in basic encampment again instead of running parts of it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hill CAP

I know of atleast 3 FO - SFO that are Squadron Commanders one of which is in RIWG however because NHQ does not keep track of FO - SFO and just list them as SM in E-Services that would list them under SM in the Unit directory.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

mikeylikey

Quote from: TNCAP 20 on October 20, 2007, 05:03:24 AM
I know of atleast 3 FO - SFO that are Squadron Commanders one of which is in RIWG however because NHQ does not keep track of FO - SFO and just list them as SM in E-Services that would list them under SM in the Unit directory.

That is the stuff I like to read!  I hope they at least give them CAPT when they turn 21. 
What's up monkeys?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 20, 2007, 02:47:50 PM
Quote from: TNCAP 20 on October 20, 2007, 05:03:24 AM

That is the stuff I like to read!  I hope they at least give them CAPT when they turn 21. 

Sadly the regs do not provide for FOs to be advanced to TFO or SFO by virtue of squadron command (Ditto for any other special appointments ex pilot, comm...). I don't think NHQ envisioned 18 to 20 year old squadron commanders.

That said I can speak on the TFO commanding a RI squadron. By my reckoning the day he turns 21 he should be a CAPT for 3 reasons
1. Command of a squadron for 1 year.
2. Completion of Level II.
3. He will be a CFI by then.

I'm glad for the 3rd because it will make it easy to get him the grade he deserves.

Walkman

We had a change of command last night. Add another 1LT to the numbers.

DesertFlyer

Depending on when you did the survey, I might be one of those SMs, though I did get promoted to 1st Lt because of the squadron command.  Early this year, we started a brand-new squadron.  Our town is sufficiently remote from other squadrons that it was not practical to assign an experienced officer from another squadron as temporary commander. 

Everyone in the squadron, senior and cadet alike, was new to CAP.  I agreed to serve as commander, so had that job from my first day as a CAP member.  This has been a real learning experience!  All the senior members have done a lot of reading of manuals, regulations, etc., to learn what we're supposed to be doing.  Fortunately, people at Wing HQ have been very cooperative in answering numerous questions. Our recruiting efforts have brought in some people with valuable experience, including a cadet officer who moved into town and transferred to our squadron.

Some things helped.  I was able to attend SLS just a couple of months after the squadron was formed. And I was able to dust off some very old memories from my Marine Corps days and start teaching drill to our cadets.  That sure made me appreciate what those guys in the Smokey Bear hats at Parris Island had achieved when I was a young recruit!

We're still learning here.  I don't recommend starting your CAP career as a squadron commander, but somebody had to do it to get the charter!

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

Walkman

Quote from: DesertFlyer on October 31, 2007, 05:16:50 PM
Depending on when you did the survey, I might be one of those SMs, though I did get promoted to 1st Lt because of the squadron command.  Early this year, we started a brand-new squadron.  Our town is sufficiently remote from other squadrons that it was not practical to assign an experienced officer from another squadron as temporary commander. 

Everyone in the squadron, senior and cadet alike, was new to CAP.  I agreed to serve as commander, so had that job from my first day as a CAP member.  This has been a real learning experience!  All the senior members have done a lot of reading of manuals, regulations, etc., to learn what we're supposed to be doing.  Fortunately, people at Wing HQ have been very cooperative in answering numerous questions. Our recruiting efforts have brought in some people with valuable experience, including a cadet officer who moved into town and transferred to our squadron.

Some things helped.  I was able to attend SLS just a couple of months after the squadron was formed. And I was able to dust off some very old memories from my Marine Corps days and start teaching drill to our cadets.  That sure made me appreciate what those guys in the Smokey Bear hats at Parris Island had achieved when I was a young recruit!

We're still learning here.  I don't recommend starting your CAP career as a squadron commander, but somebody had to do it to get the charter!

WOW! Way to step up and get the job done. That's real leadership in action, IMHO.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Pylon on October 10, 2007, 07:56:38 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 07:15:41 PM
I don't know, but the last I heard the average age of a CAP member was around 54... :o

Sorry if I'm dragging down your average, guys.   ;)

OR me! ... BTW, I recently saw a pic of one of the kids thats involved in the CAP school initiative. I think she was maybe 7 or 8 at most.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student