Squadron Commanders, by the numbers...

Started by jimmydeanno, October 10, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

jimmydeanno

After looking at the unit directory, here are the grades of the squadron commanders listed:

SM: 19
FO-SFO: 0
2d Lt: 31
1st Lt: 190
Capt: 490
Maj: 381
Lt Col: 299
Col: 6

I find it rather comforting that the majority of squadron commanders are of "senior grade."  However, it makes me wonder with the highest total being Capts how many are appointed as a Captain and never go any further.

I am also interested in the fact that there are 6 Cols that are squadron commanders.  I wonder what motivated them to take that step where most aren't all that visible after their tenure as a corporate officer?

Just thought it was interesting.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pericles

QuoteI am also interested in the fact that there are 6 Cols that are squadron commanders.  I wonder what motivated them to take that step where most aren't all that visible after their tenure as a corporate officer?

I suspect that a goodly number of the members that stick to it and put in the work to become a Colonel are here to serve.  Having served in a higher capacity does not preclude service in a lower  capacity where you are needed.  And some of the wings really badly need squadron commanders.

jimmydeanno

^I think I didn't make myself clear.  I think it is wonderful that they are squadron commanders and don't see it as "taking a pay cut" at all.

My actual interest is why there aren't more.  What happens/ed to the HUNDREDS of Colonels from the last 20 years?  Why do most of them relegate themselves to "commander's advisor" positions instead of continuing to take on an active role?

QuoteHaving served in a higher capacity does not preclude service in a lower  capacity where you are needed.

Exactly, so I'm saddened that more don't stay visible after their tenure is up.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

TankerT

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 06:53:54 PM

My actual interest is why there aren't more.  What happens/ed to the HUNDREDS of Colonels from the last 20 years?  Why do most of them relegate themselves to "commander's advisor" positions instead of continuing to take on an active role?

Actually, in my wing, they either move up to Region, or becoming IGs.  None of them do any advisory position type stuff. 

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

jeders

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 06:53:54 PM
^I think I didn't make myself clear.  I think it is wonderful that they are squadron commanders and don't see it as "taking a pay cut" at all.

Just guessing, but maybe they see it as they've had there chance and now it's time for someone else to step up and take the plate.

What strikes me as funny though is that there are 19 SMWOG as commanders. ???
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Pericles

Then of course there are those that are there for the bling and would consider it beneath them to be a mere squadron commander.

baronet68

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 06:53:54 PMWhat happens/ed to the HUNDREDS of Colonels from the last 20 years?

What's the average age of a CAP Colonel, and what's the average life expectancy of a CAP member who makes it to the grade of Colonel?
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

BillB

I don't think Colonels are an endangered species.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jimmydeanno

Quote from: baronet68 on October 10, 2007, 07:06:00 PM
What's the average age of a CAP Colonel...

I don't know, but the last I heard the average age of a CAP member was around 54... :o

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 07:15:41 PM
I don't know, but the last I heard the average age of a CAP member was around 54... :o

Sorry if I'm dragging down your average, guys.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Tillett

This might explain a few things - straight out of CAPR 20-1, page 5.
QuoteCommander Grade Allocations:
Position                        Grade−Not to Exceed*
Region Commander                Colonel
Region Vice Commander         Colonel
Wing Commander                   Colonel
Group Commander                 Lt Col
Squadron Commander           Lt Col
C/Capt. Tillett, NCWG
Wright Brothers #4609
Mitchell #54148
Earhart #14039

star1151

So THAT'S my problem....

SJFedor

Quote from: Pylon on October 10, 2007, 07:56:38 PM

Yeah, my bad, too.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

pixelwonk

Quote from: Cadet Tillett on October 10, 2007, 09:59:06 PM

Too bad you conveniently left out that asterisked part:
*Unless higher grade earned when holding previous position.

RiverAux

Boy, I thought I had a lot of free time on my hands -- coming up with those stats was a lot of work, but I think it does sort of address the frequent criticism about low-ranking squadron commanders.  Personally, I tend to think that has entered CAP and worked their way up though the CAP program (no special promotions) is probably ready for squadron command by the time they are a Captain. 

Cadet Tillett

Quote from: tedda on October 10, 2007, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: Cadet Tillett on October 10, 2007, 09:59:06 PM

Too bad you conveniently left out that asterisked part:
*Unless higher grade earned when holding previous position.

oops, my bad.  Thanks for clarifying that.
C/Capt. Tillett, NCWG
Wright Brothers #4609
Mitchell #54148
Earhart #14039

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 06:33:43 PM
I am also interested in the fact that there are 6 Cols that are squadron commanders.  I wonder what motivated them to take that step where most aren't all that visible after their tenure as a corporate officer?

It's entirely likely that one or more of those Colonels (and Lt. Cols and so on) hold actual military rank, and therefore is entitled to that same rank in CAP.

As for motivation, that's as individual as fingerprints.

//Steve//
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

SarDragon

Quote from: Steve Silverwood on October 11, 2007, 03:19:58 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

It's entirely likely that one or more of those Colonels (and Lt. Cols and so on) hold actual military rank, and therefore is entitled to that same rank in CAP.

As for motivation, that's as individual as fingerprints.

//Steve//

RealMilitary™ colonels/admirals are only entitled to Lt Col upon entry into CAP. The same goes for flag officers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Steve Silverwood

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2007, 05:41:52 AM
RealMilitary™ colonels/admirals are only entitled to Lt Col upon entry into CAP. The same goes for flag officers.

Thanks, I stand corrected.
-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood
kb6ojs@arrl.net

Falshrmjgr

Huh, what do you know.  My squadron commander is one of six.  Of course our OP's Officer is a Col too...
Jaeger

"Some say there are only wolves, sheep, and sheepdogs in the world.  They forget the feral sheep."

IceNine

I am going to guess that a number of those Col's are commanding things like the Congressional Squadron, NHQ squadrons, etc.  I am sure there are a small amount that are commanding local units but probably not likely.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

^I took that into consideration, those 6 are normal squadrons.

IceNine

ok well then that's more interesting than I thought at first glance

But as I sit here never having been in command of anything (as an officer)

I think it would be fun to see how much easier commanding a squadron would be after commanding a region or wing or whatever.

I had the same thought when I "retired" as a cadet, I applied to 3 different encampments and just put cadet instead of C/Maj, so that I could be in basic encampment again instead of running parts of it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Hill CAP

I know of atleast 3 FO - SFO that are Squadron Commanders one of which is in RIWG however because NHQ does not keep track of FO - SFO and just list them as SM in E-Services that would list them under SM in the Unit directory.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

mikeylikey

Quote from: TNCAP 20 on October 20, 2007, 05:03:24 AM
I know of atleast 3 FO - SFO that are Squadron Commanders one of which is in RIWG however because NHQ does not keep track of FO - SFO and just list them as SM in E-Services that would list them under SM in the Unit directory.

That is the stuff I like to read!  I hope they at least give them CAPT when they turn 21. 
What's up monkeys?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 20, 2007, 02:47:50 PM
Quote from: TNCAP 20 on October 20, 2007, 05:03:24 AM

That is the stuff I like to read!  I hope they at least give them CAPT when they turn 21. 

Sadly the regs do not provide for FOs to be advanced to TFO or SFO by virtue of squadron command (Ditto for any other special appointments ex pilot, comm...). I don't think NHQ envisioned 18 to 20 year old squadron commanders.

That said I can speak on the TFO commanding a RI squadron. By my reckoning the day he turns 21 he should be a CAPT for 3 reasons
1. Command of a squadron for 1 year.
2. Completion of Level II.
3. He will be a CFI by then.

I'm glad for the 3rd because it will make it easy to get him the grade he deserves.

Walkman

We had a change of command last night. Add another 1LT to the numbers.

DesertFlyer

Depending on when you did the survey, I might be one of those SMs, though I did get promoted to 1st Lt because of the squadron command.  Early this year, we started a brand-new squadron.  Our town is sufficiently remote from other squadrons that it was not practical to assign an experienced officer from another squadron as temporary commander. 

Everyone in the squadron, senior and cadet alike, was new to CAP.  I agreed to serve as commander, so had that job from my first day as a CAP member.  This has been a real learning experience!  All the senior members have done a lot of reading of manuals, regulations, etc., to learn what we're supposed to be doing.  Fortunately, people at Wing HQ have been very cooperative in answering numerous questions. Our recruiting efforts have brought in some people with valuable experience, including a cadet officer who moved into town and transferred to our squadron.

Some things helped.  I was able to attend SLS just a couple of months after the squadron was formed. And I was able to dust off some very old memories from my Marine Corps days and start teaching drill to our cadets.  That sure made me appreciate what those guys in the Smokey Bear hats at Parris Island had achieved when I was a young recruit!

We're still learning here.  I don't recommend starting your CAP career as a squadron commander, but somebody had to do it to get the charter!

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

Walkman

Quote from: DesertFlyer on October 31, 2007, 05:16:50 PM
Depending on when you did the survey, I might be one of those SMs, though I did get promoted to 1st Lt because of the squadron command.  Early this year, we started a brand-new squadron.  Our town is sufficiently remote from other squadrons that it was not practical to assign an experienced officer from another squadron as temporary commander. 

Everyone in the squadron, senior and cadet alike, was new to CAP.  I agreed to serve as commander, so had that job from my first day as a CAP member.  This has been a real learning experience!  All the senior members have done a lot of reading of manuals, regulations, etc., to learn what we're supposed to be doing.  Fortunately, people at Wing HQ have been very cooperative in answering numerous questions. Our recruiting efforts have brought in some people with valuable experience, including a cadet officer who moved into town and transferred to our squadron.

Some things helped.  I was able to attend SLS just a couple of months after the squadron was formed. And I was able to dust off some very old memories from my Marine Corps days and start teaching drill to our cadets.  That sure made me appreciate what those guys in the Smokey Bear hats at Parris Island had achieved when I was a young recruit!

We're still learning here.  I don't recommend starting your CAP career as a squadron commander, but somebody had to do it to get the charter!

WOW! Way to step up and get the job done. That's real leadership in action, IMHO.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Pylon on October 10, 2007, 07:56:38 PM

OR me! ... BTW, I recently saw a pic of one of the kids thats involved in the CAP school initiative. I think she was maybe 7 or 8 at most.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student