Main Menu

Cadet Transition to Senior

Started by Horn229, September 30, 2007, 03:35:28 PM

SJFedor

Quote from: dcpacemaker on October 03, 2007, 02:20:04 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't read most of the posts (A&P and human nutrition tests first thing in the morning) so if I repeat something that's already been said, my bad.

One suggestion that is seen often regarding this topic over on cadetstuff is taking a sabatical from CP for a year or two.  Get more involved with ES or flying or paperwork or coffee and donuts or whatever will help your squadron that isn't CP.

If you still want to be involved with CP, try a new squadron or go to wing.  OR...just do your paperwork to stay a CAP member and keep your cadet rank on (don't give into the man!).  I don't ever remember a reg stating you have to wear *your* rank, just where to put rank in general (if I'm wrong, feel free to join in for a round or two cause that's what I'm going to blame it on).

Sounds like someone is a nursing major.

I experienced a slightly different issue. I turned senior at 18 1/2, and did the whole TFO/SFO thing. Once I turned 21, however, to get my Captain to happen, we had to do the lovely Form 2. We did it all by email, my unit/CC e-signed it, emailed to Group, who e-signed it, and sent it off. Took a few days, but it popped in there. But when I did originally turn senior, all I did was make a phone call to national to get my level 1 to pop up since I had CPPT done and was exempt from orientation. Did it immediately on the phone. Probably not their preferred method, but they'll work with you.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Pace

Quote from: SJFedor on October 03, 2007, 02:25:59 AM
Sounds like someone is a nursing major.
;)

There's only around 5% guys and the science of the body is cool.  I should have done this years ago.
Lt Col, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: dcpacemaker on October 03, 2007, 02:32:43 AM
;)

There's only around 5% guys and the science of the body is cool.  I should have done this years ago.

No kidding. I went to do that right after high school when I thought I wanted to end up as a Flight RN (now I want to fly the helicopter, and, alas, that's what I'm taking loans out for that I won't finish paying until I have grandchildren)

~110 students in my Nursing major that year, 3 guys. The odds, needless to say, were very, very good.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Horn229

Quote from: dcpacemaker on October 03, 2007, 02:20:04 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't read most of the posts (A&P and human nutrition tests first thing in the morning) so if I repeat something that's already been said, my bad.

One suggestion that is seen often regarding this topic over on cadetstuff is taking a sabatical from CP for a year or two.  Get more involved with ES or flying or paperwork or coffee and donuts or whatever will help your squadron that isn't CP.

If you still want to be involved with CP, try a new squadron or go to wing.  OR...just do your paperwork to stay a CAP member and keep your cadet rank on (don't give into the man!).  I don't ever remember a reg stating you have to wear *your* rank, just where to put rank in general (if I'm wrong, feel free to join in for a round or two cause that's what I'm going to blame it on).

Digestive system? We're just starting that one now. Fun times.

I've been planning to take a sabbatical upon turning 21 for a while, but now I'm not sure. Next spring I'll most likely be relocating for paramedic clinicals, so I've got less than a year I'll be active in CAP now as it is.

Ya, I'm definitely not switching the grade on my collars 'til I have to, I held off putting the flag on for over a year so this should be even more fun.

I had been pretty active in ES prior to college, even got GBD. Now for some reason I can't perform as a GTM-3, so I'll be at wing tonight to figure that one out. Might as well see what openings they've got. :)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Horn229

Horn229

Well, it's official, according to e-services I am now a senior member.  :'( >:D

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Short Field

Personnel is one of the least glamorous speciality tracks, but it will teach you the nuts & bolts of CAP very fast.   There is a lot of feel good times working personnel as you advise people on what they need to do next to progress in their Professional Development and then advance them when they accomplish it.  Always feels good doing the paperwork to promote someone or get their next level.  Senior level requires passing a 100 question test that is a bit intimidating.

Read the Emergency Services pamphlet very carefully before you decide to enter that track.  You probably don't want it to be your only specialty track.  Master takes 5 years continuous qualification in an ES specialty (per your 101), completion of the Inland SAR course or equivalent,  and serve continuously as an ESO or assistant at the wing or region level for at least 3 years after completing you Senior rating, plus other sundry requirements.  This is a good secondary track to work as you progress faster in other specialty tracks.

Regardless of which track you pick, read the pamphlet very carefully to make sure you understand all the requirements for tech, senior, and master.  Then understand that to progress in a track, you must be assigned to a position working in that track - and then work in it.  Far too many senior members are assigned Asst. something or another and you never see them do anything.

Have fun. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640