Commander's Commendation to members not under your command?

Started by Holding Pattern, March 24, 2018, 10:41:44 PM

Holding Pattern

Can a commander give a Commander's Commendation to a member who goes above and beyond from a squadron outside of their command?

lordmonar

Depends on the situation.

Assume you are Commander of Squadron A with authority to award a Commander's Comm. (not all wings delegate that authority)

If you see Member B of Squadron B doing good stuff not related at all to anything that Squadron A was doing......then no you cannot award him a decoration.   You can recommend him for a decoration to his commander, his group commander or wing commander.....but you on your own authority cannot award him a decoration.

On the other hand.

Member B of Squadron B goes above and beyond to help Squadron A with Squadron A's mission/event/project....then you can award him a decoration on your authority.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Unit Commanders do not have the authority to award Comm Comms, that
is reserved for the Wing CC.  Members recommend decorations for approval by the
requisite authority.

Anyone can recommend anyone else for any decoration, with the caveat regarding CC's
noted below.

CAPR 3903, Page 7
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf
"a. Who May Initiate Recommendations. Any CAP member having knowledge of an act or
service meriting recognition may initiate a recommendation for an award, except that awards
concerning commanders must be initiated at a higher command level or by the appointing authority
for CSAG members."

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Of course Eclipse is right.

I was confused with the CAP Achievement Medal.   

kwe1009

You can nominate any CAP member for an award even if they are in a different Wing.  Your nomination will go straight to their squadron commander and then up from there as Eclipse said.  It is good practice to talk with that person's squadron CC first so it doesn't come as a surprise.

N6RVT

Quote from: lordmonar on March 24, 2018, 11:23:09 PMOf course Eclipse is right.  I was confused with the CAP Achievement Medal.

Which I understand is a group level award.  I have to assume in wings without groups it can be given by a squadron commander.

Eclipse

Quote from: N6RVT on March 25, 2018, 12:32:25 AMI have to assume in wings without groups it can be given by a squadron commander.

In wings without Groups, the authority stays with the Wing CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 25, 2018, 12:38:15 AM
Quote from: N6RVT on March 25, 2018, 12:32:25 AMI have to assume in wings without groups it can be given by a squadron commander.

That makes more sense.  Which is why I didn't think it worked that way.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on March 25, 2018, 12:38:15 AM

In wings without groups the Wing CC may delegate.

MSG Mac

I have recommended several members of a neighboring squadron for awards of the Achievement and Commendation Awards. Even a MSA  and they've been approved.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member