CPFT and Promotions

Started by BraveRifles19D, February 19, 2018, 04:09:21 PM

BraveRifles19D

The question that has come up is this. Can cadets use one CPFT HFZ credential to promote multiple times since it is good for 6 months, or do they need a new test for every promotion?

jeders

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on February 19, 2018, 04:09:21 PM
The question that has come up is this. Can cadets use one CPFT HFZ credential to promote multiple times since it is good for 6 months, or do they need a new test for every promotion?

So long as they have a valid HFZ credential they can promote; they don't need to redo it if they already have a valid one.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

abdsp51

GaryVC

I see this as both a plus and a minus. Good if weather is a problem in your area and bad if you can't use the incentive of having a test for each achievement. Are we going to have cadets showing up only once every 6 months for a PT test?

I printed out the new Cadet Physical Fitness Training Data Input Worksheet for the first time a few days ago. Whoever designed the form doesn't seem to know that HFZ is required for the Wright Brothers Achievement.

Jester

Quote from: GaryVC on February 19, 2018, 05:35:18 PM
I see this as both a plus and a minus. Good if weather is a problem in your area and bad if you can't use the incentive of having a test for each achievement. Are we going to have cadets showing up only once every 6 months for a PT test?

I printed out the new Cadet Physical Fitness Training Data Input Worksheet for the first time a few days ago. Whoever designed the form doesn't seem to know that HFZ is required for the Wright Brothers Achievement.

60-1 says you have to hold the test at least quarterly.  If they're only showing up on PT meetings only for the test days just to promote, they probably have issues with the whole "attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities" part of their Cadet Oath.  That can be addressed when you tell them that even though they checked the various boxes, they're not ready to promote yet.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on February 19, 2018, 05:58:53 PM

60-1 says you have to hold the test at least quarterly.  If they're only showing up on PT meetings only for the test days just to promote, they probably have issues with the whole "attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities" part of their Cadet Oath.  That can be addressed when you tell them that even though they checked the various boxes, they're not ready to promote yet.

The guidance in 60-1 says "active participation" is generally considered attending 4 meetings in 8 weeks. So skipping PT isn't necessarily being "inactive."

That said, I don't like it. This whole thing is ridiculous. I know, it's all been said before, and nobody really cares about my opinion (whether on here or at the National level), but I'm throwing it out there. It grinds my gears.

GaryVC

Today, I discovered another problem. Last night we had our PT meeting (it was very cold for Las Vegas). Today I have put in the PT scores. While that part works fine, nothing shows up for PT in the Full Tracking Report (with Scores) that I have been using to track cadet progress. I hope that will be fixed soon.

BraveRifles19D

There is a thread about this. About 4 down from this thread.

lordmonar

If that is all they are showing up for.....then no they are not going to get promoted.  Active Participation in regular activities is still required for advancement.
I had a cadet who thought if they just showed up once a month (on testing night) then I would just rubber stamp their promotion to C/CMSgt.     When instead I gave him a F50 spelling out why I was not going to promote him and what he needed to do to get promoted.  He quit (After his mother complained to the IG and he told her the complaint had no merit).   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: lordmonar on February 21, 2018, 04:14:45 AM

If that is all they are showing up for.....then no they are not going to get promoted.  Active Participation in regular activities is still required for advancement.
I had a cadet who thought if they just showed up once a month (on testing night) then I would just rubber stamp their promotion to C/CMSgt.     When instead I gave him a F50 spelling out why I was not going to promote him and what he needed to do to get promoted.  He quit (After his mother complained to the IG and he told her the complaint had no merit).

And this is a prime example of what I expect to see from seniors who work with cadets. Kudos

Fester

Just out of curiosity, did the F50 spell out what he would need to do to get the promotion?  Maybe something along the lines of "attend 3 of the next 4 meetings and your promotion will be awarded?"  Was there a conversation with the mother before her IG complaint?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

I know that many of my fellow latchkey kids of my generation are now ridiculous "helicopter parents" and that many can't be reckoned with.... I'm in restaurant management and have had more than one 18 or 19 year old come in to an interview with his/her mother in tow.... but I would hope that there was at least an attempt to come to a reasonable conclusion with the mother that her son NEEDED to attend meetings regularly....
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

lordmonar

Quote from: Fester on February 22, 2018, 03:43:00 AM

Just out of curiosity, did the F50 spell out what he would need to do to get the promotion?  Maybe something along the lines of "attend 3 of the next 4 meetings and your promotion will be awarded?"  Was there a conversation with the mother before her IG complaint?
That was exactly what it said.   And there was a conversation with the cadet before the IG complaint.  The mother made no effort to contact me about the issue.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Fester

Quote from: lordmonar on February 22, 2018, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: Fester on February 22, 2018, 03:43:00 AM

That was exactly what it said.   And there was a conversation with the cadet before the IG complaint.  The mother made no effort to contact me about the issue.

The crap we have to deal with when it comes to today's parents....
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Gunsotsu

We beta tested the new program from the start, so it's a non-issue to us. The larger, more headache inducing, problem is the requirement to input HFZ results in a separate section of eServices independent of the Cadet Promotions tab. Why that functionality was removed and segregated to a separate tab is beyond me.