Main Menu

Uniform Issue

Started by ChamorroPride, November 30, 2017, 08:15:16 PM

ChamorroPride

So, I'm the First Sergeant at my local squadron. I stayed home sick from school today, and I've received a couple of calls and texts of a person wearing a BDU blouse with Civil Air Patrol insignia, such as a name tape and the unit insignia of our local squadron. My Cadet Commander suggested that tomorrow, when I am back in school, I talk to him and ask him to at least remove the unit insignia patch. Apparently he's a former member of the squadron, but I don't think that gives him the right to wear the patch. Thoughts?
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with addressing him and respectfully asking him to remove the patch, at least, but I'd love to hear some thoughts of some more experienced members. Thanks!
C/CMSgt Jacob A. Halbrook, CAP
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

Toad1168

Well, you can ask him to do it, but you have no authority to require it.
Toad

Holding Pattern

Ask him to join up! Use this as a recruiting opportunity.

ChamorroPride

Quote from: Toad1168 on November 30, 2017, 08:50:22 PM
Well, you can ask him to do it, but you have no authority to require it.
Full well realize that, but I can try and convince him
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

Eclipse

Quote from: ChamorroPride on November 30, 2017, 08:15:16 PMThoughts?

Forget about it and move on.  It's not your concern, nor your job to enforce any perceived infractions of...what, exactly?

The law?  Not really.  Assuming he's not walking around soliciting funds or otherwise presenting himself as a member,
this is no different then someone wearing a surplus Army jacket, just more unusual.

CAP regs? They don't apply since he's not a member. 

You risk opening up a can of worms you don't need open to no one's benefit.

Leave it be, and tell those who think it's somehow your or their problem the same thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spam

On this at least Eclipse and I are in full agreement.  ;D

Think about this: if this former member has a positive attitude towards CAP, he may inadvertently be recruiting for you. Torque him off, and you've created a hater.

I also agree with Mordecai.  Treat him right, and you may bring him back as a better, valuable member (gotta ask why he's still wearing it - some desire for affiliation?). Meet him with a smile and ask him when he's coming back!

R/S
Spam

Jester

You have nothing to gain here and a ton to lose when it goes sideways.  Let it go.

ChamorroPride

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I guess he's not truly in violation of anything except irking myself and a couple other kids off, which really isn't much. Maybe I'll talk to him and see what it's about, see if he's interested in joining again or something, but thank you all for the guidance. This was an issue I wasn't entirely sure about.
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

JoeTomasone

If it was ABUs, he'd be in violation of 10 USC 771: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/771

BDUs, not so much.

PHall

Quote from: Mordecai on November 30, 2017, 09:02:08 PM

Guess you missed the "Former Member" part of the OP's post.

SarDragon

Apparently a former member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

Even if he is a former member, it's still a recruiting opportunity to get him back in.

lordmonar

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 30, 2017, 11:33:42 PM
If it was ABUs, he'd be in violation of 10 USC 771: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/771

BDUs, not so much.
Even so.....it's not our place to police the USC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on December 01, 2017, 01:23:08 AM
Quote from: Mordecai on November 30, 2017, 09:02:08 PM

Guess you missed the "Former Member" part of the OP's post.

Gosh, I didn't know we couldn't recruit former members.

Phillip

Quote from: Mordecai on December 01, 2017, 05:40:44 PMGosh, I didn't know we couldn't recruit former members.

Depends on why the individual left CAP.
Captain

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Phillip on December 01, 2017, 05:46:58 PM
Quote from: Mordecai on December 01, 2017, 05:40:44 PMGosh, I didn't know we couldn't recruit former members.

Yup, and that is why it is an opportunity.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Mordecai on December 01, 2017, 06:06:59 PM
Quote from: Phillip on December 01, 2017, 05:46:58 PM

Yup, and that is why it is an opportunity.

But this isn't about recruiting opportunities. It's about whether or not a Cadet should challenge a former member at school. And, lacking any statutory authority for such challenge, coupled with the "anti-bullying" posture adopted by schools, the answer to that is "no."

This, at most, is a matter for an adult to make a phone call to the kid's parents. If it comes up in the conversation that "Jimmy used to LOVE going to the meetings," then an invitation can be tendered for Jimmy to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

TheSkyHornet

If it's an issue, I would recommend your squadron senior members handle it. That's something the Commander could take up with his/her staff to address, seeing as how this is someone not in the organization.

I would take issue as to how this is representing CAP and your unit, especially if the individuals looks "jacked up." But you also need to pick and choose your battles, and this is something beyond your level of authority, grade, rank, etc...

Question:
Is your Cadet Commander asking you to handle it because you go to school with the lad, or because the Cadet Commander doesn't want to deal with it himself/herself?

Red 6

I concur with Mitchell 1969. There's nothing good to come out trying to get somebody to quit wearing uniform items if they're not part of CAP. I think the question to ask if whether or not the OP would approach a complete stranger and ask/tell them to take off a uniform item. I definitely wouldn't do something like that. I say let it go.

Red 6

ChamorroPride

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 01, 2017, 10:49:26 PM

Question:
Is your Cadet Commander asking you to handle it because you go to school with the lad, or because the Cadet Commander doesn't want to deal with it himself/herself?
Because I go to school with him. Otherwise, I'm sure he'd handle it.
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

ChamorroPride

UPDATE: I talked to the kid. He was actually pretty nice, and he'd taken off all of the insignia minus his name tape. I didn't approach him with hostility, moreso like "You used to be in CAP? Me too, Local Squadron? Why ya still wear the uniform?". I did give him our information because our squadron has since changed locations since he was in. However, after the fact of me talking to him, I was told he'd cussed out a teacher for asking him to remove his BDU cover which he was wearing as a hat, which is not allowed in our school. She later approached a CAP member and said "Wow, I had no idea he was part of your unit.". She told the teacher he had quit, but I still believe it's a bad reflection on us. Nonetheless, I'm hoping he comes to the squadron so we can develop him a little more on the maturity front. He'd only made it to C/A1C beforehand. Thank you all for your advice and input, it really helped me out in dealing with this.
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283