BDU right pocket patch

Started by w7sar, February 21, 2010, 02:11:18 AM

w7sar

OK...
At the risk of being severely beaten up online....

I have a set of BDUs and there is a discoloration on the right pocket where there was an AF patch.  They're in great shape and I would like to use them rather than just pitch them. 

What can I put on the right pocket?  I'm at wing level and don't have a "wing staff" or organizational shield/patch.  I was thinking I could use an old squadron patch...could not find where that was not allowed.  (And my old squadron patch from the 1980s is neat.)

I've read the 39-1, the ICL and queried the knowledge base.  Even asked a local expert.  Nothing is too clear about what is allowed on the RIGHT pocket.  The left pocket is not a problem, have lots of options there.

So, I'm at your mercy -- please don't beat me up too bad.  Worst case I find another BDU top -- at least I've not started sewing on patches.

Thanks.

Jerry W.
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

TACP

CAPM 39-1 Tabe 6.4

Best choice would be unit patch if you have one, but there's a whole list of others.

Dracosbane

Actually, unless he's in the BSA Aviation Explorer program or has a Model Rocketry patch, then his Unit patch is probably the only one allowed.  All of the rest of the patches allowed are either on the left pocket or above the name tapes.  That's according to 39-1 Table 6-4. 

However, I wonder why, since the reverse American Flag patch was authorized why some of the ones that used to be allowed on the right shoulder weren't allowed for the right pocket.  The ICL moved them all to the left, which meant that people with more than one patch authorized had to choose their favorite.  I guess since most units now have patches, people would keep those instead of a Radiological Monitoring patch or something else anyway.

RiverAux

I would think that if you're no longer in the squadron, you wouldn't wear the patch, but I suppose that would be up to the Wing Commander as they have control over that. 

Mustang

Here's an idea: transplant the pocket from another otherwise unserviceable BDU shirt onto the shirt in question.  It'd be as easy as sewing a patch on,  if not easier.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: w7sar on February 21, 2010, 02:11:18 AM
I was thinking I could use an old squadron patch...could not find where that was not allowed.
I can appreciate that you like your old unit patch, but there's a slight fault with your reason. Publications rarely tell you things that you're not allowed to do. They tell you what you can do, it's a lot shorter list to include.

Now, many people will tell you that if it doesn't say you can't, then it's OK. The reasoning is faulty.

A few examples:

The uniform manuals does not say that I can't wear a Ground Team badge on the collar of my blues. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous, but someone can easily say "But it doesn't say I can't". If you use the reasoning of "But it doesn't say I can't", then where does it end or who does it end with?

The manual does not say that I can't pin a badge on my flightsuit. It states what patches are authorized, not what is forbidden. Can I wear whatever I wish, in whatever manner I choose?

The manual doesn't say that seniors can't pin rank on their BDUs. Does that make it acceptable? No.

Wearing a unit patch shows that you're a member of a unit. If you're not assigned to that unit, it's not really appropriate to wear it. I still don't understand why wing patches weren't allowed on the right pocket for wing staff members, it is, after all, the unit you're assigned to. It would also allow Vanguard to sell them off quicker.

As to the color difference, I'd suggest using one of those Tide pens a few times on the darker area, then wash it. It will probably fade out a little to where it's not noticeable.