Question about ribbons on blues

Started by vmstan, February 18, 2010, 08:00:34 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2010, 09:26:16 PM
What amazes me is that despite the fact they are never mentioned in 39-1, nor pictured anywhere, and are basically a specialty item at Vanguard, we still have new members all over the place wearing those !@#$ blank grade sleeves, and commanders all over the place who don't know better, either.
It boils down to the same problem: people won't read, they insist on being spoon fed. If nobody told them it's wrong, then it can't be (in their reasoning).

Personally, I'd be all for a grey epaulet sleeve with something on it (in other words not blank) to denote SMWOGs without grade. I don't feel it's right to go punching holes in the collar for only six months worth of wear. And I know a number of people (myself included) that only used one shirt, and then donated it to the unit for cadet use when the promotion came.

Eclipse

Ditto on the shirt - some of the blues shirts are made of a "self-healing" material, but not all of them, and most white aviators will have holes forever.

This is why, despite the mandate to have aviator whites or blues, I recommend the golf shirt until 2d Lt.

"That Others May Zoom"

kd8gua

While I'm not going to argue one way or another in this post, I do want to bring to your guys' attention the 39-1 has very little wording differences between cadets and seniors when it comes to blues and collar/lapel insignia.

For cadets without grade and cadet airmen/NCOs, they wear collar insignia (be it CAP cutouts for C/AB or dual chevrons) when wearing the shirt.

For cadet airmen wearing the service coat (including C/AB), the insignia is worn on the lapels of the service coat. It does not state (in any combination of terms or wording) that collar insignia should be removed OR left on when wearing the service coat.

For cadet officers wearing the shirt, the blue CAP shoulder marks with metal mini grade are worn. No collar signia.

For cadet officers wearing the service coat, cadet shoulderboards/full size insignia are worn plus CAP cutouts on the lapels.

For Seniors w/o grade and SM NCOs wearing blues shirt, CAP cutouts are worn on the collar.

For Seniors w/o grade and SM NCOs wearing the service coat, CAP cutouts are worn on the lapels. It does not state (in any combination of terms or wording) that collar insignia should be removed OR left on when wearing the service coat.

For Senior officers in blues shirt, gray epaulets and no cutouts, and when wearing service coat, gray epaulets and US cutouts on the lapel.

I made my argument earlier on the basis of devil's advocate of what was appropriate when I wore blues as a cadet. As I state in this post, no wording is in the 39-1 regarding wear of collar insignia while wearing a service coat. Both the cadet and senior rules for members without grade and NCO members are worded similarly. Is this another case of 39-1 not being complete?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

flyboy53

I appreciate your pride and enthusiasm.

Just a simple suggestion, though, be conservative in terms of your uniform...it presents a better image. So, no, don't wear everything on the shirt you wear under your dress blues. Besides, you'll be more comfortable, you won't be spending a lot of money replacing ribbons as they become soiled, and the holes poked in your shirts will be kept to a minimum. Remember, also, that ribbons are optional on shirts.

Back in the 1970s when I went through Air Force Basic Training, my TI suggested that the dress jacket be decked out with all the ribbons and badges and keep it to the minimum required for shirts. I found his suggestion to be correct once I was in the situation where I wore dress uniforms on a daily basis. Besides, you didn't have to spend a lot of time arranging things before you put the shirt on, and the dress jacket was already set up, hanging in the closet.

kd8gua

FWIW, the Knowledgebase seems to err on the side of Hawk and Eclipse, with insignia on both the coat and the shirt. Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear that many CAP cutouts at one time...
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

Eclipse

I'm going to come 1/2-way back on my saying I'm wrong - I don't see any guidance that says take it off the collar, though I'll grant that the one photo which shows an NCO in a service coat shows no collar insignia, that photo is obsolete as well in that it only shows one insignia.

I know I've seen it worn on the shirt and jacket at the same time.

Col. Boylan, the GAWG/CC appears to have seen it that way as well:
Quote from: Winter 2010 Board Agenda, Page 28-29 http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NB_2010_Feb_Agenda_F7AA6A20CE0D1.pdf
Currently, CAP Enlisted Cadets wear their grade insignia on their shirt collars of the
blue Air Force Uniform with the side of the insignia parallel to the front of the collar.
When cadets reach the senior NCO grades (MSGT, SMSGT and CMSGT), the points of
these insignia are directed towards the cadet's neck and Jugular Vein. Because of the
size of the insignia, and the fact that many of our cadets are small, this could allow the
point of the insignia to be resting against the skin of the Cadet's neck. This "is" a safety
concern because the point is sharp, and given the proper circumstance, could easily
cause injury to a cadet. On the Service Coat, the cadet Enlisted Insignia is worn
straight up and down. When the service coat is worn, it causes an awkward
appearance between the coat and the shirt collar, since one set of insignia is going one
way and the other set is ninety degrees off.
While I think the safety issue mentioned is not actually a problem, its clear that others have seen it worn
this way, and further no one who commented issued any correction to the bolded assertion.  At a minimum
this is another place 39-1 needs clarification.

There should be a member-vetted, clear and correct photo of every possible combination of uniform, cadet and senior,
that can be held up as the example for once and all.

Yes, I volunteer. 

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Marshalus, welcome to the ranks.

WIWASMWOG, I wore the CAP cutouts on the light blue shirt collar no matter if I had the blue service coat on or not, and also wore them on the collar of the blue waist-length jacket.

Now, when wearing the blues I usually wear the long sleeved shirt underneath with rank epaulettes, name tag and required tie.  I don't wear my ribbons, but I do wear my Observer wings.  The same goes for when I'm wearing the blue pullover sweater.

Personally, I don't think the blank grey epaulettes for SMWOG's are a bad idea.

I believe the white-on-blue cloth CAP cutouts on BDU/BBDU's should go the way of the dodo bird and be replaced with metal CAP cutouts (yes, I know cadets wear them too), except for CAP NCO's.  Most SMWOG's only wear them for a few months before getting their first rank anyway.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on February 19, 2010, 06:02:41 AMPersonally, I don't think the blank grey epaulettes for SMWOG's are a bad idea.
I do, but only for the reason that it's blank. Put something on it, and I wouldn't have an issue. "OTC" is a possibility, but not all of our new members will be officers. I'm a little stuck on what it should be, but I don't care for a blank sleeve, I think it looks tacky.

Quote from: CyBorg on February 19, 2010, 06:02:41 AMI believe the white-on-blue cloth CAP cutouts on BDU/BBDU's should go the way of the dodo bird and be replaced with metal CAP cutouts (yes, I know cadets wear them too), except for CAP NCO's.  Most SMWOG's only wear them for a few months before getting their first rank anyway.
I would suggest none at all for seniors, NCO or otherwise. Like you said, for SMWOG it would only be a few months. After that, a senior probably won't have much need for them, unless they wear the CSU. I'm for ditching them altogether. The Air Force likes clean uniforms, no reason why we can't follow suit.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 19, 2010, 07:06:40 AMI'm a little stuck on what it should be, but I don't care for a blank sleeve, I think it looks tacky.

How about a dollar sign?

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 19, 2010, 07:06:40 AM
I do, but only for the reason that it's blank. Put something on it, and I wouldn't have an issue. "OTC" is a possibility, but not all of our new members will be officers. I'm a little stuck on what it should be, but I don't care for a blank sleeve, I think it looks tacky.

How about a standard CAP propeller?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Al Sayre

Naw, that goes on the beanie all new 'WOG's have to wear.  >:D >:D >:D ;)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: raivo on February 19, 2010, 07:54:43 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 19, 2010, 07:06:40 AM

How about a standard CAP propeller?

Actually, that's not a bad idea...

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 18, 2010, 10:16:50 PM
I appreciate your pride and enthusiasm.

Just a simple suggestion, though, be conservative in terms of your uniform...it presents a better image. So, no, don't wear everything on the shirt you wear under your dress blues. Besides, you'll be more comfortable, you won't be spending a lot of money replacing ribbons as they become soiled, and the holes poked in your shirts will be kept to a minimum. Remember, also, that ribbons are optional on shirts.

Back in the 1970s when I went through Air Force Basic Training, my TI suggested that the dress jacket be decked out with all the ribbons and badges and keep it to the minimum required for shirts. I found his suggestion to be correct once I was in the situation where I wore dress uniforms on a daily basis. Besides, you didn't have to spend a lot of time arranging things before you put the shirt on, and the dress jacket was already set up, hanging in the closet.

I concur about the conservative approach.  I have noticed that USAF Officers tend not to wear their ribbons on their shirts -- enlisted do.  The ribbons are reserved for the service coat.   Spending a little more time in the USAF culture, I never wear ribbons on the shirt.   I do have one shirt that is reserved for those few CAP events that I wear ribbons (mostly cadet activities) so I do have a "holey" shirt (pun intended).  All the other shirts have the basics:   chaplain insignia/specialty badges and name plate...simple look.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

When I wear the (usually short-sleeved) shirt without service coat, I do wear ribbons.

However, I got a set of Mil-Thin ribbons with magnetic attachment.  Helps a lot.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 18, 2010, 09:22:42 PM
39-1 is due for a rewrite, so now would probably be a good time.

By the time that happens, they better print it in large print so old guys like me will be able to read it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

exFlight Officer

Quote from: CyBorg on February 19, 2010, 07:11:41 PM
When I wear the (usually short-sleeved) shirt without service coat, I do wear ribbons.

However, I got a set of Mil-Thin ribbons with magnetic attachment.  Helps a lot.

Mini-Thin ribbons with magnetic attachment ... where?

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Flight Officer on February 19, 2010, 08:37:40 PM
Mini-Thin ribbons with magnetic attachment ... where?

www.ultrathin.com

QuoteMagnetic Ribbons

UltraThin magnetics allow you to attach ribbons to your shirt without poking holes. Put them on or take them off as many times as you wish: you'll find no telltale holes left in the shirt. Magnetics are not for use on the service dress coat due to the increased fabric thickness nor with medal set. To order, check the box for magnetic fastener and add $4.00 to the "Additional Services" block on the order form
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Let's not start the "we need more" or "we need some new" insignia for SMWOGs.  It would be better if they wore less than more.

As for the question at hand, I wear epaulets, badges and nametags on the long sleeve servic dress shirt under the jacket...simply because, if I am called on to remove the jacket, I look like a CAP officer in proper uniform.

The comment made earlier that wearing insignia on the undershirt would make you look like a "dweeb" goes against the idea of being "always vigilant."  When in the proper setting, you best at least be prepared for the eventually of removing a jacket in what would have to be a semi-formal to formal setting that required the jacket to begin with.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Chappie

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 21, 2010, 02:13:21 AM
Let's not start the "we need more" or "we need some new" insignia for SMWOGs.  It would be better if they wore less than more.

As for the question at hand, I wear epaulets, badges and nametags on the long sleeve servic dress shirt under the jacket...simply because, if I am called on to remove the jacket, I look like a CAP officer in proper uniform.

The comment made earlier that wearing insignia on the undershirt would make you look like a "dweeb" goes against the idea of being "always vigilant."  When in the proper setting, you best at least be prepared for the eventually of removing a jacket in what would have to be a semi-formal to formal setting that required the jacket to begin with.

Again I concur....on the long-sleeve shirt -- when the jacket is removed -- I wear the epaulets/name tag/cross/and specialty badges...sans  ribbons :)  That way I am still in uniform.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)