Shoe shine problem

Started by Walkman, February 07, 2010, 03:38:07 AM

Walkman

I got me a nice shoe shine kit for Christmas and my kicks have never looked better. However, whenever I put my shoes on or off, I get this black dust on my fingers.

I apply the Kiwi with the foam applicator then let it dry for a few minutes, hit it with the brush for a bit, then do another layer. I usually do about 3 layers and on the 3rd layer, I really brush it a lot longer, then I hit it with the polishing cloth. My Bates look great after this, but I still get this black stuff on my hands.

Anyone know how to avoid this and/or what I'm doing wrong?

MIKE

I wouldn't recommend the liquid polishes.  I use Kiwi Parade Gloss.  The kind that comes in the tin.  I just use an old t-shirt both for applying the polish and buffing them after they dry for a bit.
Mike Johnston

Walkman

It's not the liquid kind, it regular Kiwi Black paste. My kit came with a foam applicator for the paste.

BTW - Is parade gloss really good? I thought I saw somewhere here that there were people that recommended against it for some reason...

MIKE

I have had no issues with it.  I have used it both with and without the silicone.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

It's likely flaking at the creases across the instep. Try applying less polish there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

I always had that issue with kiwi.

I switched entirely to lincoln stain wax and haven't had a single issue since.

Also, try not letting the wax "dry" and  brush and buff all layers.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Walkman

Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2010, 03:59:12 AM
It's likely flaking at the creases across the instep. Try applying less polish there.

That might be it. I do have instep creases.

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 04:01:55 AM

I usually let one shoe sit while I work the shine onto the other. Do you think I should apply then brush right away?

What do you like about Lincoln?

CadetProgramGuy

+1, fully agree.

I have always used the Kiwi on my boots.  (cadets look away) I have also used the Kiwi Liquid, works just as well.

billford1

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 03:54:37 AM
It's not the liquid kind, it regular Kiwi Black paste. My kit came with a foam applicator for the paste.

BTW - Is parade gloss really good? I thought I saw somewhere here that there were people that recommended against it for some reason...
I've seen this stuff somewhere but not at Walmart. Who sells  it? My Son used to be able to make his boots look like a mirror. I never got the recipe. Help me out. Do I apply and buff off this stuff 3 times and get better results than with the normal Kiwi Black?

IceNine

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 04:10:14 AM

That might be it. I do have instep creases.

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 04:01:55 AM

I usually let one shoe sit while I work the shine onto the other. Do you think I should apply then brush right away?

What do you like about Lincoln?

I have always done one boot all the way through and then the other.  I used the "dry" time method and it always seemed to flake.

Lincoln has a few properties that make it much more user friendly.  It is a stain wax for one which gives a deeper black base and helps produce a much higher shine with less effort.

It seems to be more oily and attaches itself much quicker to the leather, leaves a darker residue on the buffer but no more.

My suggestion:  Get 2 dauber brushes (throw away the foam thingie), Grab a can of saddle soap, clean the boots throughly (1 dauber and saddle soap+water), add a thin layer, brush, polish, repeat.

I usually don't go any more than about 3-4 polishing sessions before I clean them again.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Quote from: billford1 on February 07, 2010, 05:59:08 AM
Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 03:54:37 AM

I've seen this stuff somewhere but not at Walmart. Who sells  it? My Son used to be able to make his boots look like a mirror. I never got the recipe. Help me out. Do I apply and buff off this stuff 3 times and get better results than with the normal Kiwi Black?

I don't like parade gloss at all.  It has silicone which makes a much quicker, brighter shine.  BUT, the shine doesn't last as long as an established spit shine.  Or it didn't the last time I felt it necessary to mirror shine my boots.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stillamarine

I've used parade gloss for 15 years, since my time in the Marines and it works just fine. Problem I'm having is that it is harder and harder to come by now. I'm sure they still ahve it on base but I don't get on base much. Target used to have it but I haven't seen it in a few months.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Thom

Quote from: stillamarine on February 07, 2010, 03:28:47 PM
I've used parade gloss for 15 years, since my time in the Marines and it works just fine. Problem I'm having is that it is harder and harder to come by now. I'm sure they still ahve it on base but I don't get on base much. Target used to have it but I haven't seen it in a few months.

All things (OK, most things...) are available online these days:

http://www.shoeshineexpress.com/polishkiwi.asp

Thom

BreakSilence

I burn-shine my shoes, and my burn-shining teacher recommended against parade gloss when you burn-shine since it has some extra ingredients.  In my opinion, Lincoln wax is by far the best wax out there.  It's not hard like some waxes and not too soft like Kiwi.  In any case, though, everyone has their way of shining shoes.

SarDragon

Burn-shine?

You light the polish? BAD, BAD mojo. That's a really quick way to ruin the leather. BTDT. The 'rents were NOT happy.

Good info here.

Another here.

Do a search on "polish" on here and Cadet Stuff to find many, many more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

If I shine my boots at all.. I spend 10 minutes with liquid kiwi and a brush....that is all. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BreakSilence

Quote from: SarDragon on February 08, 2010, 09:30:47 PM
Burn-shine?

You light the polish? BAD, BAD mojo. That's a really quick way to ruin the leather. BTDT. The 'rents were NOT happy.

Good info here.

Another here.

Do a search on "polish" on here and Cadet Stuff to find many, many more.

I looked on CadetStuff long ago when I was searching for the quickest, easiest way to get my boots to maximum shine in minimum time.  Licking polish wasn't exactly my forte although I did try it out.  I only found out about burn-shining at an encampment as the way for me.  Unless you know how to do it, though, you shouldn't play with fire.  Yes, you can ruin the leather...if you don't know how.  Yes, you can make your parents angry...if you don't know how.  I've burn-shined my shoes and boots a couple or so times and haven't needed to re-shine them since.

Chief2009

Burn-shine at an encampment?   ???  Didn't think lighters were allowed...

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

CAPC/officer125

I use a mixture of regular Kiwi and parade gloss. I was able to find parade gloss at Wal-Mart.

If I have (deep)scuffs, I do a fill and buff with the regular Kiwi. After that, I try to get a good spit shine with the regular, then switch over and do a layer or two of the parade gloss. I do a spit shine with that and a cloth diaper, then pull out my knee high and buff away. Before I do any of this, I brush off the dirt though. I usually do a dry method, doing each step at about the same time on each boot, alternating boot to boot, and I don't have the "flaking" problem.
If I am in a hurry, I fill the scuffs and buff, then a layer of parade gloss, spit shined, and then buff with my knee high. Total this takes me about 5 minutes a boot, which helps at encampment when my down time is limited and taken up with other things.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

BreakSilence

Quote from: Chief2009 on February 15, 2010, 05:10:06 PM
Burn-shine at an encampment?   ???  Didn't think lighters were allowed...

DN

Staff got to use lighters.  We were supposed to look absolutely amazing for us to be an example our cadets.  Burn-shine was not an option since it was quick, easy (enough), and made your shoes glow in no time.  Still, most of us staff weren't actually ever able to re-shine our shoes after our initial pre-encampment training due to the lack of time.  I was also actually issued a lighter to burn off any strings on my cadets' BDU's.  The pre-encampment training in Hawaii is like Christmas for flight commanders.

mikebank

I'm ex Navy, If I want a really great shine I hand my boots to a Marine for about an hour and they shine like glass(and give up a couple of beers).
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

Christensen

I use regualr Kiwi polish, hot water, and cotton balls to shine my boots.  I get a cotton ball wet w/ hot water and apply the poish using that in little circles. It just has to be a thin, even layer. I then get a new cotton ball and get it wet w/ hot water and rub it over the boot in little circles untill the polish is "rubbed" in. I just have to do this one maybe twice to get a decent shine, the more you do it the better the shine. i've learned hot water works best.

Also, if you have the dust or flaking on your boots take a brush and brush it off before you shine again. you can rinse it off too.

hope it helps any.

C/2dLt Kelsi M. Christensen
Cache Valley Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-049
C/Capt Kelsi Christensen, CAP
Cache Valley Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-049

Майор Хаткевич

Back in 2005 I went to HGA and we had National AF Honor Guard give us a lot of tips. Granted they made a uniform junkie/nazi out of us, but they gave the best advice w/o burning the polish, etc.

Their simple advice?

Use HOT water, clean the boot with it, which supposedly opens up the pores in the leather.
Use HOT water when applying the kiwi polish, and do the 1/2" circles until you get a shine.
Use COLD water doing the final shine.

Eclipse can vouch for the quality on that, as I did his boots a few times over the years for encampment. Of course, as I progressed past the initial HGA brainwash, I realized that as long as my boots actually look black, the shine doesn't matter. It's not required in the regs, and it doesn't make me a better teacher to my cadets, only wastes the time I could use to come up with better lessons/ideas to help my cadets.

Fuzzy

Any other C/Officers notice that once you hit Mitchell the 'Jump Boots' seem to be almost mandatory?

Might just be a case of great minds think alike, but around my neck of the woods the guy in jungle boots is the exception.

C/Capt Semko

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Fuzzy on March 14, 2010, 05:35:06 AM
Any other C/Officers notice that once you hit Mitchell the 'Jump Boots' seem to be almost mandatory?

Might just be a case of great minds think alike, but around my neck of the woods the guy in jungle boots is the exception.

I've worn the same Jungle Boots since 2003, and as long as my foot doesn't grow (which it won't...I'm 20), I'll keep wearing them until the sole is worn down smooth (and it's getting close!).

I never really noticed jump boots being anything special in this neck of the woods.

Hawk200

Quote from: Fuzzy on March 14, 2010, 05:35:06 AMAny other C/Officers notice that once you hit Mitchell the 'Jump Boots' seem to be almost mandatory?

Different woods have different preferences. Around my area, the most popular are either the former issue black speedlace, or else SWAT/police tactical boots that comply with the manual.

IceNine

The jump boots were essential for me.

Only 2 spots to shine and takes away the "whole boot or nothing" argument.

I've tried a lot of fads over the years.  Floor wax, liquid polish, every brand of polish I could get my hands on, melt the wax, light the boot on fire, clean with alcohol first, buff w/nylons........

Today I clean my boots with saddle soap, put on a base layer of Lincoln Wax, brush it out, add another layer and buff it out with an old sock (smooth side)

That gets me enough of a shine to get through the day, 5 minutes the next day and I'm good to go then.

I can't think of a single time that the hours I spent were worth it.  I always scuff them on something within the first couple hours after the shine and just like with a new car all I get is hurt feelings for being clumsy.  With a base shine I'm more focused on the mission and not on keeping my boots clean and shiny.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

tsrup

To the OP, if you want to keep the polish from "dusting" than make sure that you keep the polish wet while buffing it out.

Either use spit or dip the polishing cloth (I use an old cotton t-shirt) in water and just keep doing little circles.  Presto!

I've tried brushes, sponges, cotton balls and most other things under the sun but what I've found creates the best results is just an old t-shirt and a cup of water. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Mustang

Quote from: BreakSilence on February 25, 2010, 01:36:38 AM
Staff got to use lighters.  We were supposed to look absolutely amazing for us to be an example our cadets.  Burn-shine was not an option since it was quick, easy (enough), and made your shoes glow in no time.  Still, most of us staff weren't actually ever able to re-shine our shoes after our initial pre-encampment training due to poor time management skills.
Fixed it for you.

Regarding "burn-shining": if you're burning anything, you're doing it wrong. I understand using a very controlled amount of heat* to melt the shoe polish, but you should never apply an open flame to any leather. 

*There is a professional shoeshine guy near Camp Pendleton who goes through Kiwi by the vat and can shine shoes better than you or I ever will; he uses a heat gun on a very low setting for the initial wax melt.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

BreakSilence

Quote from: Mustang on March 15, 2010, 09:41:36 AM
Quote from: BreakSilence on February 25, 2010, 01:36:38 AM
Staff got to use lighters.  We were supposed to look absolutely amazing for us to be an example our cadets.  Burn-shine was not an option since it was quick, easy (enough), and made your shoes glow in no time.  Still, most of us staff weren't actually ever able to re-shine our shoes after our initial pre-encampment training due to poor time management skills.
Fixed it for you.

Regarding "burn-shining": if you're burning anything, you're doing it wrong. I understand using a very controlled amount of heat* to melt the shoe polish, but you should never apply an open flame to any leather. 

*There is a professional shoeshine guy near Camp Pendleton who goes through Kiwi by the vat and can shine shoes better than you or I ever will; he uses a heat gun on a very low setting for the initial wax melt.

Except for the fact that there were only two SMs at the encampment who had experience with encampment before (This is Hawaii Wing, and I should also mention this out of a grand total of 4 SMs who stayed the entire week with the 50 or so cadets) and cadets were falling down left and right from the heat (Our week of encampment just happened to be a record-setting week for high temperatures in our area), I'd agree with you.  You really have to have been at the encampment to understand exactly the amount of work the entire staff, senior and cadet, had to put into the encampment.  We actually only confirmed that the encampment could be done about two months before it started, so there was a lot of stuff we had to figure out on the run.  (Yeah, it's cutting it real close, but again, this is Hawaii Wing.)  In fact, one of the two SMs refuses to take a staff position at any of our encampments anymore simply because last year was so exhausting for him (He quadrupled duties as the Commandant of Cadets, medic, Tac Officer, Leadership Officer, Moral Leadership Officer, and CAP history class instructor...much respect to the guy).  It's easy to say we had poor time management skills as a cadet staff, but then again, we didn't have much time to manage in the first place.

Getting back to the original topic, if you BURN the wax, you're doing it wrong.  We MELT the wax.  I guess it's confusing, but it sounds nicer and more gung-ho.  Most of us used a single blow drier on high heat, low blow.  However, there were others like myself who used lighters, which were issued to the flight commanders primarily to burn strings off of uniforms.  We didn't want to wait until the blow drier had finished cooling down.

To clarify, I'm not recommending that you light your boot on fire.  Yes, that will destroy the boot guaranteed.  I am, however, laying out that burn-shine (melt-shine if you prefer) was an option for me as a cadet running a flight pretty much 24/7 with 4 hours of sleep a night for a week.  My boots stayed decent throughout the week, and if I needed to do anything, it was simple polish-and-buff touch up.  Even if you burn-shine and do it right, you still run the risk of eventually ruining your boot.  Eventually.  By that time rolls around, you should be moving on to another boot anyway.