Shoe shine problem

Started by Walkman, February 07, 2010, 03:38:07 AM

Walkman

I got me a nice shoe shine kit for Christmas and my kicks have never looked better. However, whenever I put my shoes on or off, I get this black dust on my fingers.

I apply the Kiwi with the foam applicator then let it dry for a few minutes, hit it with the brush for a bit, then do another layer. I usually do about 3 layers and on the 3rd layer, I really brush it a lot longer, then I hit it with the polishing cloth. My Bates look great after this, but I still get this black stuff on my hands.

Anyone know how to avoid this and/or what I'm doing wrong?

MIKE

I wouldn't recommend the liquid polishes.  I use Kiwi Parade Gloss.  The kind that comes in the tin.  I just use an old t-shirt both for applying the polish and buffing them after they dry for a bit.
Mike Johnston

Walkman

It's not the liquid kind, it regular Kiwi Black paste. My kit came with a foam applicator for the paste.

BTW - Is parade gloss really good? I thought I saw somewhere here that there were people that recommended against it for some reason...

MIKE

I have had no issues with it.  I have used it both with and without the silicone.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

It's likely flaking at the creases across the instep. Try applying less polish there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

I always had that issue with kiwi.

I switched entirely to lincoln stain wax and haven't had a single issue since.

Also, try not letting the wax "dry" and  brush and buff all layers.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Walkman

Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2010, 03:59:12 AM
It's likely flaking at the creases across the instep. Try applying less polish there.

That might be it. I do have instep creases.

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 04:01:55 AM

I usually let one shoe sit while I work the shine onto the other. Do you think I should apply then brush right away?

What do you like about Lincoln?

CadetProgramGuy

+1, fully agree.

I have always used the Kiwi on my boots.  (cadets look away) I have also used the Kiwi Liquid, works just as well.

billford1

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 03:54:37 AM
It's not the liquid kind, it regular Kiwi Black paste. My kit came with a foam applicator for the paste.

BTW - Is parade gloss really good? I thought I saw somewhere here that there were people that recommended against it for some reason...
I've seen this stuff somewhere but not at Walmart. Who sells  it? My Son used to be able to make his boots look like a mirror. I never got the recipe. Help me out. Do I apply and buff off this stuff 3 times and get better results than with the normal Kiwi Black?

IceNine

Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 04:10:14 AM

That might be it. I do have instep creases.

Quote from: IceNine on February 07, 2010, 04:01:55 AM

I usually let one shoe sit while I work the shine onto the other. Do you think I should apply then brush right away?

What do you like about Lincoln?

I have always done one boot all the way through and then the other.  I used the "dry" time method and it always seemed to flake.

Lincoln has a few properties that make it much more user friendly.  It is a stain wax for one which gives a deeper black base and helps produce a much higher shine with less effort.

It seems to be more oily and attaches itself much quicker to the leather, leaves a darker residue on the buffer but no more.

My suggestion:  Get 2 dauber brushes (throw away the foam thingie), Grab a can of saddle soap, clean the boots throughly (1 dauber and saddle soap+water), add a thin layer, brush, polish, repeat.

I usually don't go any more than about 3-4 polishing sessions before I clean them again.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Quote from: billford1 on February 07, 2010, 05:59:08 AM
Quote from: Walkman on February 07, 2010, 03:54:37 AM

I've seen this stuff somewhere but not at Walmart. Who sells  it? My Son used to be able to make his boots look like a mirror. I never got the recipe. Help me out. Do I apply and buff off this stuff 3 times and get better results than with the normal Kiwi Black?

I don't like parade gloss at all.  It has silicone which makes a much quicker, brighter shine.  BUT, the shine doesn't last as long as an established spit shine.  Or it didn't the last time I felt it necessary to mirror shine my boots.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stillamarine

I've used parade gloss for 15 years, since my time in the Marines and it works just fine. Problem I'm having is that it is harder and harder to come by now. I'm sure they still ahve it on base but I don't get on base much. Target used to have it but I haven't seen it in a few months.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Thom

Quote from: stillamarine on February 07, 2010, 03:28:47 PM
I've used parade gloss for 15 years, since my time in the Marines and it works just fine. Problem I'm having is that it is harder and harder to come by now. I'm sure they still ahve it on base but I don't get on base much. Target used to have it but I haven't seen it in a few months.

All things (OK, most things...) are available online these days:

http://www.shoeshineexpress.com/polishkiwi.asp

Thom

BreakSilence

I burn-shine my shoes, and my burn-shining teacher recommended against parade gloss when you burn-shine since it has some extra ingredients.  In my opinion, Lincoln wax is by far the best wax out there.  It's not hard like some waxes and not too soft like Kiwi.  In any case, though, everyone has their way of shining shoes.

SarDragon

Burn-shine?

You light the polish? BAD, BAD mojo. That's a really quick way to ruin the leather. BTDT. The 'rents were NOT happy.

Good info here.

Another here.

Do a search on "polish" on here and Cadet Stuff to find many, many more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

If I shine my boots at all.. I spend 10 minutes with liquid kiwi and a brush....that is all. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

BreakSilence

Quote from: SarDragon on February 08, 2010, 09:30:47 PM
Burn-shine?

You light the polish? BAD, BAD mojo. That's a really quick way to ruin the leather. BTDT. The 'rents were NOT happy.

Good info here.

Another here.

Do a search on "polish" on here and Cadet Stuff to find many, many more.

I looked on CadetStuff long ago when I was searching for the quickest, easiest way to get my boots to maximum shine in minimum time.  Licking polish wasn't exactly my forte although I did try it out.  I only found out about burn-shining at an encampment as the way for me.  Unless you know how to do it, though, you shouldn't play with fire.  Yes, you can ruin the leather...if you don't know how.  Yes, you can make your parents angry...if you don't know how.  I've burn-shined my shoes and boots a couple or so times and haven't needed to re-shine them since.

Chief2009

Burn-shine at an encampment?   ???  Didn't think lighters were allowed...

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

CAPC/officer125

I use a mixture of regular Kiwi and parade gloss. I was able to find parade gloss at Wal-Mart.

If I have (deep)scuffs, I do a fill and buff with the regular Kiwi. After that, I try to get a good spit shine with the regular, then switch over and do a layer or two of the parade gloss. I do a spit shine with that and a cloth diaper, then pull out my knee high and buff away. Before I do any of this, I brush off the dirt though. I usually do a dry method, doing each step at about the same time on each boot, alternating boot to boot, and I don't have the "flaking" problem.
If I am in a hurry, I fill the scuffs and buff, then a layer of parade gloss, spit shined, and then buff with my knee high. Total this takes me about 5 minutes a boot, which helps at encampment when my down time is limited and taken up with other things.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

BreakSilence

Quote from: Chief2009 on February 15, 2010, 05:10:06 PM
Burn-shine at an encampment?   ???  Didn't think lighters were allowed...

DN

Staff got to use lighters.  We were supposed to look absolutely amazing for us to be an example our cadets.  Burn-shine was not an option since it was quick, easy (enough), and made your shoes glow in no time.  Still, most of us staff weren't actually ever able to re-shine our shoes after our initial pre-encampment training due to the lack of time.  I was also actually issued a lighter to burn off any strings on my cadets' BDU's.  The pre-encampment training in Hawaii is like Christmas for flight commanders.