Cadet Enlisted Service Cap?

Started by VPI18, September 07, 2009, 03:33:24 AM

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 08, 2009, 04:21:43 PM
That has to be one of the ugliest uniform items I have ever seen.  I say it may even place up there with the maroon epaulets. >:D

As one who wore it, I can say that I actually liked it.  It was distinctive and crisp looking.  It was a bother to keep the band clean, granted, but a soaking in Woolite every now and then wasn't a big deal.  While it was soaking, I used the time to spit shine the bill - yes, they were leather in those days and it was expected that they would be shined.  Which all fit together nicely - the band was usually removed when the bill was shined, so as not to get polish on it.

Don't judge the look based on the referenced photo.  The band depicted is grotesquely different from what was actually worn, the cap is sloppily crushed and the chin strap is missing.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Grumpy

"I know it was worn at least as early as 1965.  I wore it in 1970 and early 1971.  I believe the band was eliminated in 1971, BUT, the enameled device stayed the same.  I cannot remember wearing the current cadet officer device before I turned senior in 1973, but that could be simply due to not wearing a service cap much."

I wore it in '62-63.  That's 1962, 1862 SarDragon (Dave).

SarDragon

I'll deal with you later, Grumpy.

From my sources:

The service hat in the style pictured was worn from 9/61 to 1/71. The round insignia was authorized for wear by male enlisted cadets on the flight cap in 1984. The current cadet officer service cap insignia was authorized as of 1/77.

The 1968 CAPM 39-1 only describes the service cap with a dark blue band, and makes no mention of a white band.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on September 09, 2009, 12:43:22 AM

The 1968 CAPM 39-1 only describes the service cap with a dark blue band, and makes no mention of a white band.

I have a fuzzy memory of it being mentioned in the back of the 39-1, under a listing of items that could be authorized by the wing commander.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 09, 2009, 01:18:05 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 09, 2009, 12:43:22 AM

I have a fuzzy memory of it being mentioned in the back of the 39-1, under a listing of items that could be authorized by the wing commander.

The original had a white band.  I'm not sure when the white band turned blue, since I left the cadet program for the RM in 1966.  There were some big uniform changes in 1966, including the metal identification badges replacing the cloth ones, so we might have lost the white band then.
Another former CAP officer

rtdownward

I wore this cap in Delaware Wing in the early 60's.

Grumpy

Quote from: rtdownward on May 18, 2011, 04:44:35 PM

In 1962-63 the cadet officer's hat had the white band and the current enlisted metal device was used by cadet officers on their service hat.  I was in the AF when the current officers device came into existence.

ThatOneGuy

I've seen a few of those caps before, but mostly far and few between. The idea of an enlisted Service Cap sounds like a good idea to me. As a cadet officer, I do like the Service Cap a whole lot, but I only wear it with my Blues shirt with tie, or Service Dress. Enlisted should be able to wear it, however it should be for NCOs only (C/SSgt and above) but with some sort of enlarged enlisted cap device on it, perhaps in a silver finish, as I think the full color one on the cap looks a bit odd to me.

ColonelJack

It's worth noting as well that the metal service cap device shown continued in use ... on the black beret for female enlisted and NCO cadets.  We had two or three of them in the squadron Supply Room when I left command of my unit in 1996.  (Wish I knew where they were now ...)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Grumpy

Quote from: superLt1995 on May 23, 2011, 03:00:56 PM
I've seen a few of those caps before, but mostly far and few between. The idea of an enlisted Service Cap sounds like a good idea to me. As a cadet officer, I do like the Service Cap a whole lot, but I only wear it with my Blues shirt with tie, or Service Dress. Enlisted should be able to wear it, however it should be for NCOs only (C/SS gt and above) but with some sort of enlarged enlisted cap device on it, perhaps in a silver finish, as I think the full color one on the cap looks a bit odd to me.

You could pattern it similar to the AF enlisted device, a smaller version of the eagle except in a circle.  You could put the prop thingy in the circle.   ;)

Hawk200

Quote from: Grumpy on May 24, 2011, 05:37:44 AMYou could pattern it similar to the AF enlisted device, a smaller version of the eagle except in a circle.  You could put the prop thingy in the circle.   ;)
I've actually seen something like that, but I can't remember where, it's been a while. Might have been on eBay.

As for authorization, I think the service cap should be left to cadet officers. I've known a few cadets for whom it was a powerful incentive.

Grumpy

Quote from: Hawk200 on May 24, 2011, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on May 24, 2011, 05:37:44 AMYou could pattern it similar to the AF enlisted device, a smaller version of the eagle except in a circle.  You could put the prop thingy in the circle.   ;)
I've actually seen something like that, but I can't remember where, it's been a while. Might have been on eBay.

As for authorization, I think the service cap should be left to cadet officers. I've known a few cadets for whom it was a powerful incentive.

I was just poking fun at the propeller thingy but, you are correct and that's the way we were doing it when I was a cadet.

AlphaSigOU

Back in the days when SM NCOs were around and had a more active role there was an enlisted CAP SM service cap badge. Must have been retired when the original SM NCO program phased out in the 70s.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on May 18, 2011, 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: rtdownward on May 18, 2011, 04:44:35 PM

In 1962-63 the cadet officer's hat had the white band and the current enlisted metal device was used by cadet officers on their service hat.  I was in the AF when the current officers device came into existence.

Grump, you were in the AF when JC was a ramp rat!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: superLt1995 on May 23, 2011, 03:00:56 PMI've seen a few of those caps before, but mostly far and few between. The idea of an enlisted Service Cap sounds like a good idea to me.
Why, in your mind, does it seem like a good idea? What are your pros and cons?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Yeah, he and I worked the alert area together

Al Sayre

Don't let him pick on you too much Grumpy, I'm told he caught Noah's heaving line... ;)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787