Grade insignia on lightweight male jacket

Started by w7sar, April 13, 2009, 07:38:06 PM

w7sar

OK, gang, don't beat me up too bad!!

I have a USAF "man's lightweight with removable liner" dark blue polyester/wool jacket, with epaulets. I see in the 39-1 I wear the gray "sleeves" with grade.  OK, I ordered the gray -- but the jacket's epaulets are sewn down (don't snap, no velcro). 

The "sleeves" are sewn, no snaps, etc.  Did I order the wrong things?  Or, what works best to unsew the jacket's epaulets so I can put the grade insignia on?  Advice? Suggestions?

Second question....Can I wear this blue jacket with the CAP-distinctive (i.e. white aviator shirt & grey or blue pants, do I need to change epaulet color?)  as well as with the AF-style blue uniform?  (Yes I meet the weight and grooming for the AF, so don't go there please).

I'm just soooooo confused with all the various combinations and don't want to visit a cadet squadron and have them laugh too much.  I really did read 39-1 and after I woke up I'm still confused.

Thanks
Jerry Wellman
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

swamprat86

There are shoulder marks for the jacket.  There is a velcro strip running down what would be the sown seam on the regular ones.  They allow putting them on without unstitching anything.

You can order this set or you can do what I did and unstich where the epaulet attaches at the top and replace it with velcro.

davidsinn

Quote from: w7sar on April 13, 2009, 07:38:06 PM
Second question....Can I wear this blue jacket with the CAP-distinctive (i.e. white aviator shirt & grey or blue pants, do I need to change epaulet color?)  as well as with the AF-style blue uniform?  (Yes I meet the weight and grooming for the AF, so don't go there please).

No, you can not mix and match corporate and AF uniforms.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Quote from: swamprat86 on April 13, 2009, 07:50:20 PM
There are shoulder marks for the jacket.  There is a velcro strip running down what would be the sown seam on the regular ones.  They allow putting them on without unstitching anything.

You can order this set or you can do what I did and unstich where the epaulet attaches at the top and replace it with velcro.
Ditto. Don't waste the money on the velcro epaulets, just pull up the stitching that is there, put your epaulets on, and sew it back down, or if you're really crafty, stick some velcro on the epaulet.

w7sar

AWESOME info! Thanks for the quick replies.  I will NOT wear this with my distinctive uniform and I am preparing to unstitch the jacket's epaulets and adding velcro.  I was just confused and had no idea they sold the sleeves with velcro.  Live and learn!

Jerry Wellman
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on April 13, 2009, 08:21:56 PM
Quote from: swamprat86 on April 13, 2009, 07:50:20 PM

Ditto. Don't waste the money on the velcro epaulets, just pull up the stitching that is there, put your epaulets on, and sew it back down, or if you're really crafty, stick some velcro on the epaulet.

Um, no, please don't do that...just buy the velcro ones and move on...

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

The Velcro ones fit better on outerwear, and you don't mutilate the jacket or the epaulet sleeves... but it requires not being a cheap [censored].  You'll want more than one set anyway.  I bought two sets of regulars and one set of Velcros for my Lightweight Blue Jacket and Overcoat.
Mike Johnston

billford1

Is this jacket allowable for those with the gray slacks aviator shirt uniform or only for those with the blue slacks aviator shirt uniform?

MIKE

You can only wear this jacket with the Air Force style uniform.  It can not be worn with CAP Distinctive Uniforms or Corporate Service Uniforms.
Mike Johnston

swamprat86

Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2009, 08:35:33 PM
The Velcro ones fit better on outerwear, and you don't mutilate the jacket or the epaulet sleeves... but it requires not being a cheap [censored].  You'll want more than one set anyway.  I bought two sets of regulars and one set of Velcros for my Lightweight Blue Jacket and Overcoat.

It wasn't an issue of being cheap, but an issue of being sent the wrong item from Vanguard (surprise) and not having time to reorder the correct item or return the wrong one.  So I improvised, overcame and adapted.  I was offering the option if he was under the same situation.