Aux uniforms being Distinctive

Started by VNY, September 28, 2013, 11:50:13 PM

VNY

Without reading the branch tapes - can you tell who is Auxiliary and who is Active Duty in this picture?

PHall

CAP uniforms have to be distinctive because AFI 10-2701 says they will be.

Luis R. Ramos

The guys with a tire in the belt are Aux and those with the flat stomach are AD. ;D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Shuman 14

The one with the tucked in ODU's is clearly an USCGAux member... tucked ODU's are no longer authorized for AD and RC personnel.

The red hat is also a give away, a locally authorized item not normally seen on AC and RC personnel.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Brad

Quote from: VNY on September 28, 2013, 11:50:13 PM
Without reading the branch tapes - can you tell who is Auxiliary and who is Active Duty in this picture?[/left]

Yep, read the hat. Gold lettering = USCG, silver = Aux.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Майор Хаткевич

I see OPs point. Don't see how it applies to us.

sarmed1

Ok cool.... I get it.  The USCG and USCG Aux have a very close working relationship.  They even look alot alike.  To the point that the average person wouldnt know who is Aux and who isnt.

The un-written part:  Wouldnt it be (cool, neat, awesome, impressive etc etc) if the USAF Aux was more like the CG Aux in their respective parent/Aux relationship?

We'll they are not, in fact despite both being "AUX" they are both pretty different animals, and CAP is the way it is because (from what I remember/have been told) CAP want (s/ed) it that way. 

It could just be another inuendo for I want to wear ABU's and its not fair that I cant...look everyone esle gets to wear their parent service's uniform and look like part of the "in-crowd"

but thats just my take
mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SunDog

Shoot, I'm good with ABU. . .not for me, but for the other CAP folks who'd like it. Let's form a union, and if you'll vote to keep polo and bags (and add  shorts) I'll vote for ABU. We get enough votes and. . .it won't have the slightest effect, will it?

VNY

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 29, 2013, 02:20:13 PMIt could just be another inuendo for I want to wear ABU's and its not fair that I cant...look everyone esle gets to wear their parent service's uniform and look like part of the "in-crowd"

Actually I was just curious. The person all the way to the left is an AD Warrant Officer who had just given me a skills test (I passed).

I'm not going to rush out and buy ABU's.  As you can see I haven't gotten the current ODU yet.  I will when I have to, and as of yet there is no date for it.  I'm not an early adopter type.

I only have woodland camo because I retired from the US Army with a closet full of it.   When CAP phases that uniform out I'll get BBDU - if I need BDU at all.

Private Investigator

Quote from: sarmed1 on September 29, 2013, 02:20:13 PM
Ok cool.... I get it. 

It could just be another inuendo for I want to wear ABU's and its not fair that I cant...look everyone esle gets to wear their parent service's uniform and look like part of the "in-crowd"

Maybe ...

Everyone wants a warm fuzzy. Some like a teddy bear others want ABUs. Whatever that warm fuzzy is. Now with the USCG and USCG Aux, I want them to inspect my yacht in a professional manner and it does not matter if he is a 22 year old academy graduate, 42 year old career reservist or a 62 year old auxiliarst.

Eventually CAP will get ABUs and everyone will want to wear them to be in the "in-crowd". So then we will have 300 pounders wearing ABUs because the majority of our membership have never been to an "NCO School" and learned the concept of "moral courage". Then again fair is a very subjective term. i.e. is it fair to say my coffee cup is half full?

VNY

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 29, 2013, 03:37:35 PMEveryone wants a warm fuzzy. Some like a teddy bear others want ABUs. Whatever that warm fuzzy is. Now with the USCG and USCG Aux, I want them to inspect my yacht in a professional manner and it does not matter if he is a 22 year old academy graduate, 42 year old career reservist or a 62 year old auxiliarst.

Well Vessel Safety is one of my qualifications.  As it happens we even have a (gasp) polo shirt uniform for it...

Grumpy

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 29, 2013, 03:37:35 PM
Quote from: sarmed1 on September 29, 2013, 02:20:13 PM
Ok cool.... I get it. 

Maybe ...

Everyone wants a warm fuzzy. Some like a teddy bear others want ABUs. Whatever that warm fuzzy is. Now with the USCG and USCG Aux, I want them to inspect my yacht in a professional manner and it does not matter if he is a 22 year old academy graduate, 42 year old career reservist or a 62 year old auxiliarst.

Eventually CAP will get ABUs and everyone will want to wear them to be in the "in-crowd". So then we will have 300 pounders wearing ABUs because the majority of our membership have never been to an "NCO School" and learned the concept of "moral courage". Then again fair is a very subjective term. i.e. is it fair to say my coffee cup is half full?

It is not, it's half empty.   ;D

a2capt

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 29, 2013, 03:37:35 PM... is it fair to say my coffee cup is half full?
The level is at half. You can take that any way you want, and it's factual.

Grumpy

Oh man!

ol'fido

I wear the polo, gray/white, blazer, and BBDUs. Occasionally, I might wear a blue jumpsuit. I am overweight(hopefully not forever), but I would probably choose these whether I was or not. That is my personal choice. I have people under my command who wear AF style only, corporate only, and those who bounce back and forth depending on the situation. As long as no one has shown up in a wildly inappropriate combination(BDUs for a banquet; Mess Dress for a Ground Team mission), no one really cares which one they choose. It is much more important that they show up neat, clean, and acting like professionals.

As a commander, I will not tolerate anyone "dissing" anyone else because they choose to show up in one combination or another as long as it is within regulations. I have not ever run in to this particular situation in my memory with the exception of some encampments in the late 90's where I chose to wear the OD jungles while they were still authorized. I was backed up by the encampment commander who told the complainers basically "they're authorized by 39-1, they can wear them, move on". That is my philosophy as well.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

Quote from: a2capt on September 29, 2013, 08:48:26 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 29, 2013, 03:37:35 PM... is it fair to say my coffee cup is half full?
The level is at half. You can take that any way you want, and it's factual.

Optimist: the cup is half full
Pessimist: the cup is half empty
Engineer: we need a smaller cup
CAP: we need a new reg about cups
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

USCG_Auxie

I'd say to the CAP'ers to just be thankful they don't have to pay out the nose for their uniforms. Our ODUs cost a small fortune, and can only be purchased through the UDC. If you want to be in compliance that is....

Ryan Valenjevick (1LT/CAP Ret.)
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary

PHall

Quote from: USCG_Auxie on September 30, 2013, 12:31:48 AM
I'd say to the CAP'ers to just be thankful they don't have to pay out the nose for their uniforms. Our ODUs cost a small fortune, and can only be purchased through the UDC. If you want to be in compliance that is....

One, don't call us CAP'ers and we won't call you Puddle Pirates. 

Oh, we have to pay for our uniforms too...

USCG_Auxie

Quote from: PHall on September 30, 2013, 12:44:03 AM
Quote from: USCG_Auxie on September 30, 2013, 12:31:48 AM

One, don't call us CAP'ers and we won't call you Puddle Pirates. 

Oh, we have to pay for our uniforms too...

I know you have to pay for your uniforms. I was just saying that it's easier to find BDUs than CG authorized ODUs. And I apologize for offending you with the "CAP'ers" wording.

Ryan Valenjevick (1LT/CAP Ret.)
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary

VNY

Quote from: PHall on September 30, 2013, 12:44:03 AMJust be thankful they don't have to pay out the nose for their uniforms. Our ODUs cost a small fortune, and can only be purchased through the UDC. If you want to be in compliance that is....

Hence the reason I'm still wearing the old style uniform in that picture.  Our AD sector gave a lot of those away when they finally dumped it.  Same way CAP gets BDU's I suppose.