Blues on CAP Sunday

Started by Walkman, November 26, 2012, 03:34:31 AM

Walkman

In previous years, we've been encouraged to wear service dress or blues to worship services the weekend of CAP Sunday. I thought I remember there being an email from NHQ each time giving the go-ahead. I haven't seen any announcement. Does anyone know if this is authorized for this year?

NIN

Quote from: Walkman on November 26, 2012, 03:34:31 AM
In previous years, we've been encouraged to wear service dress or blues to worship services the weekend of CAP Sunday. I thought I remember there being an email from NHQ each time giving the go-ahead. I haven't seen any announcement. Does anyone know if this is authorized for this year?

"You are never wrong if you wear the uniform your commander specifies"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

That's kind of the point of CAP Sunday, too.

Private Investigator

CAP Sunday and breakfast at Dennys   ;)

Pylon

Our squadron did some sort of partnership with local churches and worship places where we have members attending.  They have more planned than just wearing the uniform to worship services, but were working out some sort of event/presentation/arrangement with the various pastors.  I'll have to report back with more details once they've gone through with it.   
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on November 27, 2012, 07:36:48 PM
Our squadron did some sort of partnership with local churches and worship places where we have members attending.  They have more planned than just wearing the uniform to worship services, but were working out some sort of event/presentation/arrangement with the various pastors.  I'll have to report back with more details once they've gone through with it.

This is really the best practice.  Wearing the uniform is nice, and may get some questions, but having a structured presence, perhaps one which is recognized overtly is better. Perhaps acting as ushers, an honor guard, or similar.  Working with the church on a "uniformed servant" service or something
might be nice as well - encouraging everyone in the congregation who is a uniformed servant - military, police, fire, volunteer, etc., to wear their finery.

Unfortunately, unless the unit is meeting at a church, the odds of having more then a few CAP members in any given congregation are pretty slim.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I'll be sportin' a flight suit on CAP Sunday.  First CAP uniform that I've worn in 2012 as an inactive member.  But there's an opportunity at the local ANG base and I figured what the heck, why not show up and support an activity.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2012, 07:41:05 PM
Unfortunately, unless the unit is meeting at a church, the odds of having more then a few CAP members in any given congregation are pretty slim.

WIWAC, our group chaplain (who covered at least 2 squadrons, maybe more, for ML) used to host CAP Sunday at his church in Almont, MI.

Our sq and our sister sq would show up for CAP Sunday, sit together, post the colors, and we were recognized for our service. The chaplain would run what appeared to my (unpracticed) eye to be a fairly non-denominational service. (he was a pretty firey Baptist minister, and he could fire-and-brimstone it with the best of them, but you could tell he was toning it down a little). 

Afterwards, the church had a covered-dish type lunch in the basement and the food was always outrageously good and the congregants went out of their way to meet and talk to us.

For a guy who was pretty non-religious/agnostic (I was raised Lutheran), it was actually a very nice event and I rather enjoyed going to them.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

If my denomination were to host such an event, it could be problematic for visitors.

I am a member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and the majority of our congregations hold weekly Communion.

However, we practice "close(d) communion," which means that to come down for Communion one must be LCMS or a member of one of our partner churches (Lutheran Church - Canada, The Association of American Lutheran Churches, etc).  We sometimes have a difficult time explaining that to visitors...it would probably be equally difficult explaining that to a CAP contingent.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on November 28, 2012, 07:21:22 AMWe sometimes have a difficult time explaining that to visitors...it would probably be equally difficult explaining that to a CAP contingent.

"Only members may go forward for communion."  Not really a big deal.  I know I personally would never expect to go to communion in faith I wasn't a part of (though I know some faiths do invite everyone present).

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: CyBorg on November 28, 2012, 07:21:22 AMWe sometimes have a difficult time explaining that to visitors...it would probably be equally difficult explaining that to a CAP contingent.

Difficult is not the same as uncomfortable.  Just because some people are uncomfortable sharing those particular rules about their faith doesn't mean it's difficult to explain to a CAP contingent or visitors.  "We only allow members of our denomination to come forward for communion. We ask the rest of you to please respect our beliefs and enjoy these hymns while you wait for the communion portion of our service to be over..."   I think that's very easy and quite clear; no ambiguity at all.

There are other denominations, Catholics and Orthodox included, who follow the same practice.

Phillip

Quote from: CyBorg on November 28, 2012, 07:21:22 AM
If my denomination were to host such an event, it could be problematic for visitors.

I am a member of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and the majority of our congregations hold weekly Communion.

However, we practice "close(d) communion," which means that to come down for Communion one must be LCMS or a member of one of our partner churches (Lutheran Church - Canada, The Association of American Lutheran Churches, etc).  We sometimes have a difficult time explaining that to visitors...it would probably be equally difficult explaining that to a CAP contingent.
I'm a member of a LCMS church and while I'm the only CAP member within...well...a considerable distance, if there were to be a CAP contingent they'd be welcomed no problem.  We've never had an issue with any visitors actually.
Captain

RogueLeader

Quote from: Phillip on November 28, 2012, 06:44:40 PM

I'm a member of a LCMS church and while I'm the only CAP member within...well...a considerable distance, if there were to be a CAP contingent they'd be welcomed no problem.  We've never had an issue with any visitors actually.

I think he was talking about them not being able to take Communion/Eucharist.  He didn't say that they weren't welcome to attend.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 28, 2012, 08:01:54 PM

I think he was talking about them not being able to take Communion/Eucharist.  He didn't say that they weren't welcome to attend.

So most churches are "do what I say, not what I do"? All talk about acceptance, but draw the line at whether you believe Jesus stood on rock A or rock B makes all the difference when it comes time to Communion?

Pylon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 28, 2012, 08:18:00 PMSo most churches are "do what I say, not what I do"? All talk about acceptance, but draw the line at whether you believe Jesus stood on rock A or rock B makes all the difference when it comes time to Communion?

You're taking this out of context, but also making this thread about a religious issue.  I won't have debate here about the religious beliefs or principals of any faith.  Fact of the matter is, their denomination's policy has been stated.   Debating over or sharing your opinion over the worthiness of another faith's doctrine here has nothing to do with CAP or CAP's attendance at CAP Sunday/CAP Sabbath services.

Back on topic.

The CyBorg is destroyed

It had nothing to do with welcoming in general.  It had to do with hypothetically a group of CAP personnel showing up at an LCMS service (or another faith that practices closed/close communion, like the RCC and Eastern Orthodox, as was pointed out) and not understanding why (especially younger cadets) they couldn't automatically take Communion.  We make it clear in our bulletin what the practice is but nonetheless, unfortunately, from time to time there are still people who don't understand and get hurt by the policy...which no-one wants to happen.  They would still be welcome to attend.

Quote from: Pylon on November 28, 2012, 08:43:41 PM
You're taking this out of context, but also making this thread about a religious issue.  I won't have debate here about the religious beliefs or principals of any faith.

Which I didn't want to happen.  FWIW, if the "CAP Sunday" were at another denomination's services I would respectfully recuse myself from Communion, even if they practise open Communion.

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 28, 2012, 08:01:54 PM

That's EXACTLY what I meant.

My entire point was that sometimes (and we hate it when this happens) confusion about the policy happens with visitors (though we try to minimise it as much as possible), sometimes resulting in hurt feelings, and it could happen with a group of CAP members if a denomination like mine had a CAP contingent show up...it could multiply an unfortunate situation, and I don't want that to happen with any visitor, much less any of my CAP colleagues.

I didn't want to open Pandora's Box over this denomination v. that denomination, but it seems I have.  I do apologise.

Good thing I'm not a Chaplain, innit?

Me and my big mouth. :-X :-[
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Phillip

Quote from: CyBorg on November 29, 2012, 12:08:19 AM

It had nothing to do with welcoming in general.  It had to do with hypothetically a group of CAP personnel showing up at an LCMS service (or another faith that practices closed/close communion, like the RCC and Eastern Orthodox, as was pointed out) and not understanding why (especially younger cadets) they couldn't automatically take Communion
I realize that.  However, at my church, no one who is visiting has ever had their nose put out of joint because they haven't been able to take part in communion.  It's probably because the Pastor typically meets with all the visitors before the service starts.
Captain

umpirecali

CAP Sunday is where I first learned about CAP. I saw my friend and his cadet daughter in blues and I went up to him and said "I didn't know you were in the reserves".  He explained he was in CAP, I asked "what's that" it sounded cool, and here I am.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: umpirecali on November 30, 2012, 05:02:18 AM
CAP Sunday is where I first learned about CAP. I saw my friend and his cadet daughter in blues and I went up to him and said "I didn't know you were in the reserves".  He explained he was in CAP, I asked "what's that" it sounded cool, and here I am.

That was an excellent way for your friend to educate you about CAP, and it brought you in!

I've sometimes gotten a similar question from people..."are you in the Air National Guard/Air Force Reserve?"  Great way to inform the public who and what we are.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

dholt

If your squadron allows it you may wear the Blues on Veterans day and Dec. 1st