Service Cap Regulation Questions

Started by VetaWulf, October 03, 2011, 09:34:33 PM

VetaWulf

Hello.

I was just recently promoted to C/2nd Lt. and I have a couple questions pertaining to the cadet officer's service cap.

I know that, according to CAP 39-1, the service cap "May be authorized by wing commanders for cadet officers."

Does that mean that it must be authorized for each individual cadet officer or if it is a general authorization for all cadet officers within the wing?

Secondly, does anyone know what the regulation for the service cap is for cadet officers specifically in TN Wing?

Thank you,

C/2nd Lt. Riffe

majdomke

Are there any other cadet officers in your unit you can ask? What have you seen other cadet officers wearing when at wing level activities?

tsrup

talk to your deputy commander for cadets,

If there is blanket authorization by your wing commander then they should know, or at least be able to find out.

Whatever you do, do not email your wing commander...... don't be that guy, I hate that guy.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: VetaWulf on October 03, 2011, 09:34:33 PMDoes that mean that it must be authorized for each individual cadet officer or if it is a general authorization for all cadet officers within the wing?

No, your wing will (or won't) have an approved supplement to 39-1 to authorize its wear.  It should be on your wing's web page.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Nothing on the wing page and hardly any units had links to their websites. I did find a unit where a cadet officer was wearing the bus driver hat in a picture but there was also a C/SSgt wearing one too for no apparent reason. So who knows...

Eclipse

Quote from: captdomke on October 03, 2011, 10:33:52 PM
Nothing on the wing page and hardly any units had links to their websites. I did find a unit where a cadet officer was wearing the bus driver hat in a picture but there was also a C/SSgt wearing one too for no apparent reason. So who knows...

I've met more than a few people who had no idea it was even an issue of approval, so there well be no attention ever paid to the matter in TNWG.

"That Others May Zoom"

VetaWulf

Quote from: captdomke on October 03, 2011, 10:33:52 PM

TNWG is notorious for not having up-to-date or informative websites. From my experience everything has pretty much just been word-of-mouth, or through e-mail.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2011, 10:46:36 PMI've met more than a few people who had no idea it was even an issue of approval, so there well be no attention ever paid to the matter in TNWG.

I've seen a C/Capt wearing one before, so I'll just go ahead and wear it. I suppose the worst that could be done is that they would just tell me to take it off.

whatevah

Quote from: VetaWulf on October 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AMI've seen a C/Capt wearing one before, so I'll just go ahead and wear it. I suppose the worst that could be done is that they would just tell me to take it off.
You should still make an attempt to find out... as an officer you need to be a role model, and role models generally shouldn't disregard the rules.  You now know what you need to do to know if it's permitted to be worn, so find out.  Go up the chain, and if "nobody knows", then work the chains again (up the command chain and CAC) to try to get it approved.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: VetaWulf on October 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AMI've seen a C/Capt wearing one before, so I'll just go ahead and wear it.

...and what if that C/Capt was wrong?  That's never a good attitude to have, especially as a leader.

titanII

First off, congratulations on achieving your Mitchell!
Just a note... You could always stick with the flight cap with grade insignia. You will never be wrong with that option...
However, the service cap does look a lot cooler  8)
No longer active on CAP talk

tsrup

Quote from: titanII on October 04, 2011, 02:31:12 AM
However, the service cap does look a lot cooler  8)
Yeah sure, till the first function where you have to carry it around for 5 hours...
Paramedic
hang-around.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

titanII

ZigZag911

You know, this was the case WIWAC, and it was silly then...saucer cap is a piece of uniform apparel, NB should either authorize for cadet officers or not. There is no logical reason to vary from wing to wing (or from one wing commander's tenure to the next).

MSgt Van

Quote from: VetaWulf on October 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AM

I've seen a C/Capt wearing one before, so I'll just go ahead and wear it. I suppose the worst that could be done is that they would just tell me to take it off.

That's the wrong attitude. You started out correct by trying to find the answer.  What were those core values again?

VetaWulf

Quote from: whatevah on October 04, 2011, 01:18:08 AM
Quote from: VetaWulf on October 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AMI've seen a C/Capt wearing one before, so I'll just go ahead and wear it. I suppose the worst that could be done is that they would just tell me to take it off.
You should still make an attempt to find out... as an officer you need to be a role model, and role models generally shouldn't disregard the rules.  You now know what you need to do to know if it's permitted to be worn, so find out.  Go up the chain, and if "nobody knows", then work the chains again (up the command chain and CAC) to try to get it approved.

I understand. I am still actively working through the Chain of Command to find out the exact regulation for my wing, which I should have specified in my reply.

Quote from: MSgt Van on October 04, 2011, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: VetaWulf on October 04, 2011, 12:58:11 AM

That's the wrong attitude. You started out correct by trying to find the answer.  What were those core values again?

I apologize if I presented the wrong attitude of that befitting an officer, for that was not my intent.

Thank you all for your replies they have been a great help.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

WIWAC, there was a joke about how you could always tell the new C/Officers.  You could tell because they all wore the service cap, even in "Class C."  Once they hit C/Capt, they'd switch to the flight cap again - most likely because you could see the grade insignia from 1,000 yards.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

titanII

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 04, 2011, 05:45:48 PM
WIWAC, there was a joke about how you could always tell the new C/Officers.  You could tell because they all wore the service cap, even in "Class C."  Once they hit C/Capt, they'd switch to the flight cap again - most likely because you could see the grade insignia from 1,000 yards.
Maybe it's the times or maybe it's the wing I'm in, but all but a few C/Officers I know of (or have seen) wear the service cap, even with Class C, regardless of grade.
But I guess YMMV.